Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
sealing leak in freshwater pipe under sink

Beautiful DIY-ers -- we need your help! We've got an annoying-ass leak under the sink right at a t-junction in our pvc fresh-water pipes (see attached picture). It seems to be leaking on more than one side of the junction, but the junction isn't actually loose (like we can't pull the pipes apart and they don't wiggle). So we can't easily just disconnect them and replace the junction.

We tried caulk and a silicone repair tape -- water just squirted out the ends. Seems to me that the best option at this point is to use some sort of an epoxy sealant and/or water-activated fiberglass tape. I've been looking at http://www.jbweld.com/products/waterweld-epoxy-putty and https://www.fernco.com/plumbing/pow-r-repair/pow-r-wrap and http://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSea...2112/100206252 and https://www.sealxpert.com/leak-repair-kit -- anyone had any experience with these sorts of products? Or does anyone have another suggestion for fixing this? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	280442  
Old 02-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think you're going to have to invest in the proper tools and replacement pieces. Anything else is temporary at best.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Flex Seal, just kidding.
You might try cutting that TEE out and replacing it with a (Shark Bite) or compression type tee and couplings with short pieces of PEX. However I am uncertain if the gray water line you have will be the same diameter as the PEX or shark Bite fittings. Perhaps some one else here would be more knowledgeable on the diameters. Good luck.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
Goinsmwhere

2016 28' International
2016 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
If those are PEX fittings. Cut off the PEX bands and you should be able to remove the fitting without cutting any length of pipe away. That should be an easy replacement from there. I recommend using hose clamps to clamp everything together again. Avoid using PEX for ease of repair in the future.

Also if its standard PVC or ABS the repair should be even easier. You would have to buy a few couplers and cut the pipe back farther than you thing to couple together new sections of pipe to refit a new T-fitting.

If the system is not PEX or PVC then I would use your epoxy idea. Tried and true.
AirSpaceTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
shark bite didn't work

well we replaced the fitting with a sharkbite one and it still leaks -- awesome.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Just a thought ..... we have an intermittent leak under the sink. Water shows and then it goes. Seemed to be linked to hot water tank startup. Maybe just our imagination. Happened prior and dealer replaced pressure regulator. Worked for about a year.

So, on the last trip, I purchased a manual set pressure regulator to replace the fixed pressure regulator we were using. At least for that trip, it worked. Thought is we have a section of water piping that leaks if over pressured. At reduced pressure it holds and does not leak. So now I have to decide if it's worth the time to carefully increase the pressure while looking for the leak or operate at reduced pressure.

It appears your leak is much worse and needs to be repaired. I suspect the tee section needs to be cut out and a new section of Pex tube connected with all new fittings is required to eliminate the leak. Maybe I'll learn how to do that. A kit of fittings, tube and tool seem appropriate for the tool/parts kit. Another todo for sure, but an excuse to go more to check the results .... all good! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
A shark bite T should have worked did you push on the shark bite and hear the double click? Also the ends have to be cut flat (no angle) or they will not seal.

You could take the old T to Lowe's or Home Depot and tell them what you are trying to do they usually have a plumber that can help.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:33 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
I had a sharkbite that I used as to fix a T like yours and it still leaked...until I realized I needed to really force the pipes into it good! Fixed and never leaked again...worth a try!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #9
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
fixed it!

turns out the piece we got was actually defective -- returned it for a different junction and all is fine. woot! thanks for all your help!