Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Electric City , Washington
Cool replacing fresh water tubing?

hello....I am thinking of replacing all or most of the copper fresh water system with PEX tubing. The trailer I have was not winterized and there are several breaks..and some in areas that I cant reach to repair. I guess my question is..is this a good idea or should I stay with the copper?
stglmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

The hardest part of replacing the fresh water system is getting the copper out! Draw a "map" of the copper installation and study it for low points and areas that trap water and prevent complete drainage. Then design a new plan for the PEX tubing, fittings, drain points, etc. Eliminate the water pressure regulator by using a hose-end regulator on your supply hose. Try to run the new system near heated areas and rout new lines so they slope to drain points. You will most likely have to remove some of the cabinetry to do the job right, but it will be worth it in the end. Lots of other advice in previous posts concerning water systems. Spend some quality time reading up before you begin. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:44 AM   #3

1975 25' Caravanner
PORTLAND , Oregon
PEX is a cheap and require's less skill but if you want to use copper pipe I would just use half inch typle L or K copper pipe with insulation over every inch of pipe this way you won't have to worry about using antifreeze's
unionplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
With the price of scrap copper at $3.45 per pound, I would rip it all out. You can replace it with Pex, and buy a tank of gas with the proceeds.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionplumber
PEX is a cheap and require's less skill but if you want to use copper pipe I would just use half inch typle L or K copper pipe with insulation over every inch of pipe this way you won't have to worry about using antifreeze's
Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree about not using antifreeze on copper RV plumbing. If your ambient temps are going to drop below 32* for any length of time, YOU MUST DRAIN YOUR WATER SYSTEM AND FLUSH AND RE-FILL WITH APPROVED RV ANTIFREEZE. This statement also applies to any other type of tubing for your RV water system as well.

No amout of insulation will keep the water from freezing and destroying your piping and various components of your fresh water system. I can't recall the number of times I have been called to repair/replace tubing or coponents that were not properly winterized in RVs.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote