Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
relocating city water inlet

I am thinking of relocating my city water inlet to the curbside to make it come in under the stove. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like my city water runs from the back of the trailer, under the floor to underneath the stove where it connects into the system. There seem to be no connections between the street connector and this junction, so it runs about 20 feet and into the unheated space for no good reason.

The PO had a freeze in the portion that runs under the floor and spliced in a bit of water hose to repair it. I would like to bypass all of this and relocate my pressure regulator to the space under the stove. Any problems anyone can think of related to this move?

The PO also put a standard hose bib (water hydrant valve) for a water inlet connection. Do I need to have a cutoff valve on the city inlet?

Stephen
Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hi Stephen

My '76 has the same setup. I assumed the rear city connection was located there to eliminate the need to carry an extra 20 foot of hose. I see no disadvantage to moving the connection. My trailer is a twin bed center bath and I didn't see why the manufacturers didn't just run the water line above the floor around the back to the curbside and just run the line through the bathroom and over the fender.

If I redo mine, that's how I'll do it. I like where my water connection is. I don't plan on doing any winter camping, so freezing is not an issue with me. If I turn mine into a park model it'll be in a warm climate.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
I'm using a 50' coil hose right now but will go for a shorter straight hose for the winter. The setup at the RV park I am staying in now has the connection way toward the front of the lot anyway. It would take about the same amount of hose to run it under the trailer over to the other side. I'm sure other RV parks will vary in their hookup location, but I always carry extra hose with me for watering the occasional potted plant.

Stephen
Old 10-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
I went ahead and relocated the city water inlet to the curbside just aft of the battery access door. All went well with the pressure regulator mounted below the stove. Will post photos when I get a decent connection.

Stephen
Old 10-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
moved the water inlet: photo update

This is the setup that was under the streetside bunk at the far aft end of the trailer. The PO had tapped into the external copper with one of those quick taps. It was broken off. I have no clue what he would have used that for. He had also put on a standard residential hose bib as a cutoff valve on the outside.

The photo above shows the pressure regulator, a pressure relief valve, and a drain valve. The latter two drain through the floor of the trailer.

The following shows the relocated assembly. I cut the hose bib outside the trailer and cut the copper a few inches inboard of the pressure valve assembly. I mounted the assembly on the plywood that once supported the Univolt, under the stove. I pulled up all of the copper supply line from the aft of the trailer to the pantry beside the frig, and the water hose splice from there going under the floor. I sweated the copper pipes together under the stove and re-routed a minor bit or two. I sweated up a few pieces of 1/2" copper to extend through the floor to the outside just aft of the battery compartment door. Sorry I didn't get a pic of that coming out the trailer yet. It just sticks out of the bottom of the trailer with a female pipe thread fitting sweated onto it, and an adapter to screw on the water hose.

It took me most of the day to accomplish it, part of which was figuring out the routing of the drain tubes (not shown). After this photo I added some fasteners to secure the assembly to the plywood. I think the hose bib in this photo is something the PO installed to add antifreeze to the system, or maybe to assist in draining. Does that sound likely?

My new work showed no leaks on a pressure test, so I was very satisfied with the results.

Stephen
Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenh2 View Post
This is the setup that was under the streetside bunk at the far aft end of the trailer. The PO had tapped into the external copper with one of those quick taps. It was broken off. I have no clue what he would have used that for. He had also put on a standard residential hose bib as a cutoff valve on the outside.

Stephen
That photo shows how Airstream installed the water hookup.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Andy,

Thanks, I thought so. Is there anything in that assembly to prevent the water from flowing back out if there is no cutoff valve on the outside connection?

Stephen
Old 10-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Here's a pic of the street connection.

Stephen
Old 10-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenh2 View Post
Andy,

Thanks, I thought so. Is there anything in that assembly to prevent the water from flowing back out if there is no cutoff valve on the outside connection?

Stephen
Is there a water check valve after the hose connection?

You can also run the water pump, and see if any water comes out of that fitting.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Looks good!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote