Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Park City , Utah
Relief Valve for 1966 Caravel, fresh water tank?

A freshwater tank question. We're still figuring out a few things with our 66 Caravel that has a mix of original and updated systems. The fresh water tank has a gravity feed inlet, a screw plug on top of the tank and an outlet tube at the bottom of the tank that feeds the pump or can be diverted to drain the tank. It does not have any sort of vent or pressure relief valves or tubing. When filling the tank (or draining the tank), I can remove the plug to vent air, (relieving pressure) but this is not practical when the gaucho is made up. My big concern is that there is no way to regulate the pressure or relieve the pressure automatically. What have people done to remedy this situation? Is there some sort of relief valve or other device that solves this problem? We live at altitude where significant pressure changes occur with every trip. Obviously, I don't want a nearly full tank burst in transit as I would like to fill the tank at home for boondocking occasions. Also, I'm not sure if a suction would devlope making the pump labor too much if I pumped the entire 30 gallon tank with just the pump without any venting? Thanks!
Scott66Carav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Park City , Utah
I may have found the answer Inside the threaded cap for the gravity feed inlet, there is a machined notch (top of attached pic) that I suspect eliminates its airtightness, allowing for pressure equalization. There is no washer or O ring and the notch goes a little deeper than the last thread. So it's not a closed system like I thought. Is this the design with the others in this era?
Scott66Carav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966, caravel