Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Random Water Pump Cycling

Hi all,
My new 19' Flying Cloud - 2010 but just owned it for two months where it sat for many years on a dealer's lot - anyway, the water pump will just cycle on and off sometimes when no water is running anywhere. I am afraid this is a sign that there could be a leak somewhere. IN the two months we've had this unit there has been a toilet leak (from that connection at that back of it) and another from just below the shower door (crack in the caulking) and the freshwater hose leaked too (but that has now been replaced)...whew! So now trying to make sure that that pesky random noise isn't a sign of trouble...or if it is what to do about it. Thank you so much for your insight and wisdom...Take care, Lisa
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
Hi all,
My new 19' Flying Cloud - 2010 but just owned it for two months where it sat for many years on a dealer's lot - anyway, the water pump will just cycle on and off sometimes when no water is running anywhere. I am afraid this is a sign that there could be a leak somewhere. IN the two months we've had this unit there has been a toilet leak (from that connection at that back of it) and another from just below the shower door (crack in the caulking) and the freshwater hose leaked too (but that has now been replaced)...whew! So now trying to make sure that that pesky random noise isn't a sign of trouble...or if it is what to do about it. Thank you so much for your insight and wisdom...Take care, Lisa
The leak is most likely in the pump itself. Little bits of plastic get stuck in the valve(s) and the pressure will bleed off. The pump will need to be replaced and check the suction screen.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Lisa, if it's any comfort, our 2005 Bambi's water pump has cycles on once an hour for about a half a second. It has done that since the day we bought it, and we haven't noticed any leaks.

We did, however, experience a major leak in the fresh water system which was in the wall behind the shower. According to the dealership, this was a result of poor quality control at the factory (they forgot to glue some pipes together behind the shower), which was covered under the warranty, and is the subject of another thread .

Keep an eye on it and, if there is a leak, take advantage of the warranty while you have it. For the first time ever, we bought an extended 7 year warranty from the dealer, and it's already paid for itself nearly twice (and we still have a year left).

Enjoy that new Airstream! We love ours, and have been all over the country.
And welcome to the forums!
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Thank you

Wow! Thanks so much for the prompt replies....

How do I check the suction screen? Can I do that without taking it apart?

Also, I"m so sorry to hear about your water leaks Silver Ranger! Can you give me the link to that thread and let me know how you knew there was a water leak behind that shower?

I'm highly allergic to mold so keeping water out is a big deal to me...don't want to ruin my new investment! ..and we have been using the warranty for these items, but thanks for the reminder!

And thank you for the welcome!!
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would not replace the pump. You should familiarize yourself with the plumbing system in your trailer. Know the location and routing of the water lines. Then you can quickly check for leaks in a situation like this.
When the pump runs and you don't have water running, it still pressurizes entire system. The pumps do not have the greatest back flow or (check valve) system built in. It could be a case of where the pressurized water is just bleeding back thru the pump into the freah water tank.
The proceedure I use is to shut the pump off if there is no demand for water.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Easier to explain than to dredge up that old, long-winded thread.

After we got the Bambi home, and hooked it up to the hose, we noticed water pouring out of the bottom of the trailer from just below the shower. It was a significant leak that was getting worse, so it was easy to detect. It took them about two weeks to fix (12 days to get around to it, and two days to repair ), and they had to remove the entire shower to do it.

Just to be clear, I believe my plumbing leak and the cycling of the pump to be two separate issues. My pump has maintained the same cycling frequency for six years, and I've searched every accessible area and haven't found any leaks... yet. If your pump is cycling on frequently, you would be wise to get it checked out, especially because of your mold allergies.

Hey! I'm camping in the Pocono Mountains right now, and the pump just cycled on. Frankly, if there isn't a leak, I'm good with it because it serves as a reminder that the pump switch is on.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The proceedure I use is to shut the pump off if there is no demand for water.
A lesson I learned the hard way!!!

This leak occurred after Spring make-ready several Seasons ago.
I had left the pump on.

Went back a few hours later and noticed water running on the ground above the streetside wheels.

Inside the entire bathroom floor was flooded, pump running like sixty, with 1/2 tank of freshwater left.

Turned out to be a cross-threaded fitting, easy fix.

No need, the pump is OFF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water leak 002.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	134088  
Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
Hi all,
How many years did it sit on a dealer's lot if it is a 2010?
Sorry, the door was open and I just had to go through it
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #9
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I suspect too that its most likely to be a defective check valve and pressure is just back flowing into tank.

But its a good time to find all the removable cabinet panels and look thoroughly at the plumbing visible. Use your nose too, does anything smell damp? On my trailer some plumbing is visible from the outside storage compartments. Also check under trailer to see if you have any water dripping off of belly pan.

And another vote for turning off water pump when away or underway. I kick myself for forgetting this at times.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #10

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Plumbing System

Recently bought a new (left over) 2012 23FB Flying Cloud. I am amazed at the number of problems we have had associated with poor factory quality control followed by inadequate dealership support. However, I'm not going to get into that now.

The problem now is that the first water pump seized and was replaced. The replacement is cycling on and off. The dealer says they have to replace the pump again. One of the symptoms was when connected to city water with the fresh water tank full, water would overflow from the overflow behind the fresh water fill door. Yes, of course I turned off the pump when on city water. The dealer said a check valve in the pump failed allowing the water to back flow into the fresh water tank from the city water coming in. Dealer says when they replace the pump it will solve both problems of cycling on and off and back flowing into the fresh water tank. Does this sound plausible? I have no confidence in the dealer.
afrischman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrischman View Post
Recently bought a new (left over) 2012 23FB Flying Cloud. I am amazed at the number of problems we have had associated with poor factory quality control followed by inadequate dealership support. However, I'm not going to get into that now.

The problem now is that the first water pump seized and was replaced. The replacement is cycling on and off. The dealer says they have to replace the pump again. One of the symptoms was when connected to city water with the fresh water tank full, water would overflow from the overflow behind the fresh water fill door. Yes, of course I turned off the pump when on city water. The dealer said a check valve in the pump failed allowing the water to back flow into the fresh water tank from the city water coming in. Dealer says when they replace the pump it will solve both problems of cycling on and off and back flowing into the fresh water tank. Does this sound plausible? I have no confidence in the dealer.
Yes, that's probably exactly what's wrong. Check valve in the pump is bad, and generally the only way to fix it is to replace the pump.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #12

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Thanks for the quick reply. Fortunately, it is still under factory warranty.
afrischman is offline   Reply With Quote