Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2002, 04:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1970 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
Newport , Oregon
Question PVC waterlines?

I am replacing my water lines and was going to use standard PVC gold. Then I read the string about Pex tubing. I am familiar with using PCV and have access to everything is there any thing wrong with using PVC?
buckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 04:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

"is there any thing wrong with using PVC?"

I asked that same question of my brother, who is a mechanical engineer. He gave me excellent reasons for not using PVC. I sure wish I could remember what they are.

It seems like one reason was that it does not take vibration and movement nearly as well. And isn't standard PVC unacceptable for the hot water supply (somebody please help me out here!)? I believe it also has a much higher elasticity in case it freezes.

As a practical matter, the PEX is easier to snake around corners and so forth without using connectors. If you buy it in coils, and bend with the coil, I think the radius of a corner can be as little as four times the diameter - so a 1/2 inch piece of PEX can turn on just a two inch radius!

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
j54mark hit the nail on the head. Vibration, flexing of the chassis and freeze protecition is the main reason not to use PVC. PEX, then copper are the current standards.

PEXConnection.com

I wrote a bit about current plumbing standards in trailers here a while back.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...=PEXconnection

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote