Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Pressurized Water Filler Tube

I am considering replacing the black rubber filler tube that runs from the valve on the outside of the trailer to the tank under the kitchen sink. I have a 62 Ambassador with a pressurized galvanized tank. It appears that the current hose is black rubber similar to an automotive radiator hose. The system has no leaks and holds pressure, however I noticed a small hairline crack in the outer skin of the hose and want to replace it. I have not been very sucessful in my search of this topic on the forums. I believe that the inner diameter of the hose needs to be 2-3/4" Has anyone done this replacement and what material was used? Any advice is always appreciated.

Thanks,

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I would use tygon tubing
Plastic Tanks, Plastic Buckets, Plastic Bottles, Labware, PVC Pipe - United States Plastic Corporation ®
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall
I am considering replacing the black rubber filler tube that runs from the valve on the outside of the trailer to the tank under the kitchen sink. I have a 62 Ambassador with a pressurized galvanized tank. It appears that the current hose is black rubber similar to an automotive radiator hose. The system has no leaks and holds pressure, however I noticed a small hairline crack in the outer skin of the hose and want to replace it. I have not been very sucessful in my search of this topic on the forums. I believe that the inner diameter of the hose needs to be 2-3/4" Has anyone done this replacement and what material was used? Any advice is always appreciated.

Thanks,
The original filler neck was fastened directly into the metal tank with a section of pipe.

No hose was used.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi

Too funny! US Plastics is one of our suppliers for the Tygon we use on our presses! They are really great to work with and their Tech Support is pretty good too! You will find they have lots of cool stuff when repairing or upgrading your AS. I even buy stuff just to make more stuff around the house!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
The original filler neck was fastened directly into the metal tank with a section of pipe.

No hose was used.

Andy
Thanks Andy,

I will have to remove the hose and see if there are threads under there and try to replace the pipe section. The rubber hose is pretty old and looks like it could be original.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall
Thanks Andy,

I will have to remove the hose and see if there are threads under there and try to replace the pipe section. The rubber hose is pretty old and looks like it could be original.

You can pressurize your water tank to 100 psi.

A rubber hose would never take it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Just what kind of rubber hose are you talking about? We have rubber hoses in airplanes that will take 1000-1500 PSI, reinforced of course.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote