Old 08-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Thanks for the responses...will check into this.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Hi 2Air...

"hook up your trailer system to treated city water and run all the lines for 30 minutes should be more than adequate to clear the pipes and fixtures"

I assume this just means I'll have to keep an eye on the grey water levels and empty as needed during this process?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #17
_

. , .
hi mike

sure ya need to watch the auxiliary tank,

but since this really is just city water passing through...

it wouldn't be a crime to open the outside to drain on da ground...

while the kitchen, shower and lav taps are running....

if you don't plan to drink from the big bowl, 1-2 flushes will clear those lines...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:32 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Thanks!
Old 09-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
With a portable water system (such as an RV) it is a good idea to sanitze often. If I am testing a private well I sterilize the tap nearest the tank as I don't want to test the plumbing, just the water supply. Notice I mentioned not testing the plumbing. Microorganisms can and do hang up in the plumbing. If you hook to a questionable water supply it is a good idea to sanatize the entire system. Don't count on the check valve to protect the tank, it probably will but why take the chance when prevention is relatively easy.

This is not to say you will come down with Montazuma's Revenge or Cholera from a non-potable system. Most of there are safe enough that your immune system will take care of minor problems. I am not recomending that anyone do that but it is probably not the end of the world (operative word is "probably"). There are health standards and aesthetic standards. High disolved iron 9indicates iron bacteria) will give a taste but iron bacteria are not a threat to the health of most people.

I recomend sanitizing the tank water and running the tank water through the entire system. Run each fixture for several gallons and work the valves from open to closed and back open while doing the sanitizing and the flushing. Flush twice. It is not a bad idea to sanitize before winterizing.

There is no filter I know of that is 100% effective in removing all microorganisms. There are some that come quite close, viruses are still a problem. These are all pressure systems that use R/O or UF/MF filters. Hypochlorite is the most effective sanitizer for the average person (Chlorox Bleach).

You can always invest in one of the personal water filters. They are available commercially but generally not worthwhile unless you do a lot of hiking and tend to forget your iodine tabs or really want to rough it. The amount you would spend on a good pressurized filter system is quite high compared to just periodically sanitizing the system. You still have to maintain those systems.

I am not trashing filters, I do have a Culligan internaly on my system and use a line filter on my fill up hose (when not using a familiar system). These are mainly general purpose filters to keep out suspended solids and tie up some disolved substances, for improvement of taste and clarity.

Most older water tanks will develop small amounts of black-blue/black colonies. These are often a combination of filimentous bacteria and mold. As a rule these are not harmful but do not contribute to asthetics. Traces of the colonies may remain even after sanitizing, even though the colony is dead. I do not concern myself about those in systems that are regularly sanitized. Most standard line filters will eliminate any small amounts that would come down the lines.

When I had my tank out this summer I hot rinsed it then put in a gallon of 7% hypochlorite before filling the tank. I let this site in the hot sun for eight full hours then dumped it and single rinsed the tank. I then added a cup of hypochlorite with a gallon of water swished it arround then emptied the system. As my system is emptied for the winter and the plumbing is being replaced I will not winterize. The two or three cups of remaining liquid will not hurt anything and it will maintain a high residual chlorine and choramines. I will have some trace chlorine in the tank atmosphere all winter while keeping the level low enough so as not to jeopardize any components.

Getting to the main point! SANITIZE regularly! Use filters for aesthetics not as your water safety net. Do not connect to questionable systems. carry a couple of five gallon water cans for wash water from such systems (add a couple tablespoons of Chlorox to each can and let sit for a few hours).
Old 09-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Bottled Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet
I treat my potable water as a safe water supply but I still carry bottled water for consumption.
We got into the habit of using bottled spring water when Stream'n in our "63" Safari.

We still do in the "03". We also keep a Brita Pitcher in the fridge. It justs tastes better.... After all you don't want Montazuma to ruin your Stream'n.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
water

While I genrally keep my drinking water separate, I aways keep my system in shape so I can drink that water when (not if!) I don't bring enough (or any) water in my jerry cans. I fill a jug from my jerry cans, the rest of my liquid refreshement is in the fridge.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
lots of great advice,

i've included a link to a great article that explains the plumbing system in an rv. also check some of the other articles out too, a couple of good electrical introductions.

Water, Water, Everywhere!

Click image for larger version

Name:	blkdia1.gif
Views:	155
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	44898

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #23
Ham KI4HJX

1982 27' Excella
1970 23' Safari
Franklin , 28734
I don't know about all states but in the state of N.C. if the RV park dose not use a city water source it must have the water tested by an outside vendor weekly.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
so, I don't want to drink water from the tank in my '74, but can I drink it when I am connected with a hose? Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
lots of great advice,

i've included a link to a great article that explains the plumbing system in an rv. also check some of the other articles out too, a couple of good electrical introductions.

Water, Water, Everywhere!

Attachment 44898
Old 09-27-2007, 01:12 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Yes, provided the water hose is connected to a trusted source, and the pump does not run.
Nick.