Old 01-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Celina , Texas
Potable Water Hose...

Hello all,

Please forgive me if there is already a post about this topic. I didn't find anything that specifically addressed this issue.

My wife and I will be living in our parked Argosy for the next few months. It's currently parked on a friends farm, and the nearest potable water source is 125 feet away.

Do I really need 125 ft of potable water hose to connect? Or will I be alright using something else. It's not a huge deal if I have to buy 125 ft of hose, but if I can spare myself the expense, that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!!!

-MB

Old 01-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I look at it this way, when we (old farts) were kids we drank out of the garden hose all the time. I do not think I ever got sick from it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Celina , Texas
@AWCHIEF

Haha. Yea, that's sort of the response I've gotten from other's I've talked to. The only down side I've really heard of is a "vinyly" (I don't think that's actually a word) taste in the water...
Old 01-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
As kids we drank out of rubber hoses; today with the synthetics, who knows what the hose is made of. I checked into the new hose that shrinks and expands when in use and was told they are NOT approved for drinking. Filters would NOT help with the chemical problem.
Mike
Old 01-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Get the approved blue-and-white potable water hose. Get an assortment of 50-foot, 25-foot, and 10-foot lengths so that when you travel you'll be able to use whatever shorter length best meets the campground's layout.

Potable water hoses are made of "food grade" plastics as defined by ANSI. So-called because (1) they will not leach chemicals into the water that passes through them; and (2) chemicals in the water will not soak into the hose, either. Black or green garden hoses contain volatile organic compounds that will leach into the water, and cause long-term health effects. Especially if the hose lays in the sun and gets hot. Getting an occasional swig of water from a regular garden hose is probably safe enough, but for long-term use, not so much.

BUT, you don't really need all that hose, if you don't mind filling your freshwater tank from a blue "water only" jerry can every few days. Then you would only need enough hose to fill the can. Great way to get your exercise, but if you do it that way, I'd recommend getting a little red wagon to haul the full jerry-can from the spigot to the trailer, too.

Something to keep in mind… if the potable water source is a private water well, definitely add a Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) filter right at the spigot, so that the water is filtered before it ever enters your hose or jerry can. There are four levels of water quality testing requirements according to the EPA: Permanent community water sources, transient community sources, permanent non-community sources, and transient non-community sources. A private well is a permanent non-community water source, and therefore has the second-lowest water quality standards. By the way, a campground that gets its water from a well is a transient community source; it's well worth asking where they get their water when you check into a campground, and using a filter whenever the water is not from a municipal water utility.

That's assuming your friend's well is even registered with the State and regularly tested; not all wells are registered, if the well is older than the registration requirement, or was illegally installed by a non-licensed well driller, in which case the water quality may not ever be tested. Not everyone knows that wells have to be installed by licensed drillers and registered with the State, so the wells can be illegal entirely by accident.

I learned all of this a dozen years ago for work, when I was tasked with designing water treatment systems for water wells at some of my agency's field sites.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Potable Hose...

This is the hose we use (50 FT) and we love it! Never leaks and easily stored in a pillowcase with no kinks or wear after 3 years. We used to carry 2 hoses and now just the one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1390754899.152463.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	204378
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
This is the hose we use (50 FT) but we love it! Never leaks and easily stored in a pillowcase with no kinks or wear after 3 years. We used to carry 2 hoses and now just the one.

Attachment 204378
But since it's not the standard blue-and-white color, a permanent tag at each end that says "Potable Water Only" would be a good idea. You should carry a potable water hose and a non-potable water hose, with some way to tell them apart at a glance. The non-potable water hose would be used at a dump station to flush out your black tank (most dump station water supplies are labeled "non-potable").

Side note, the blue-and-white color for potable water hoses is an American Bureau of Shipping standard that was borrowed for RV use, just like the shore power cordsó and why they're called "shore power" and not just "power."
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
We learned about these from fellow campers in our WBCCI unit.

I have a 25'. You could get a few and like Protagonist says, just use the one(s) you need at different sites. I went with the 25 instead of the 50 because you do have to unwind the entire hose off the reel for it to work but it rolls up nicely and compactly (a word? ) on the reel.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...i-hose-50/1646
Old 01-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Have you considered running a PVC pipe rated for drinking water? May be lower cost option. I believe a10 foot length of 3/4" PVC is about $3 to $3.50.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Temperature Considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda1215 View Post
My wife and I will be living in our parked Argosy for the next few months. It's currently parked on a friends farm, and the nearest potable water source is 125 feet away...

-MB
How cold does it get in your neck of the woods? If it freezes, then the PVC pipe option previously mentioned, and buried in the ground, might be a better choice than water hose. This would also get the supply line out of harms way.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Get a roll of PEX tubing. 3/4" and 2 fittings to connect to a garden hose. One at each end.
If you don't plan on drinking the water. Don't buy the white/blue hose.
I tried these white/blue hoses and find they are very stiff. They are a pain to wind up and store.
While a normal garden hose may leach some chemical into the water. If you were to run the water for a period of time to evacuate what was standing in the hose. I can't imagine there would be enough leaching to cause any harm. Maybe if you drank 1,000 gallons a day for 50 years.
Not all wells are tested on some kind of schedule. Even those that are registered.
I have been drinking well water for 40+ years and have never had a problem. If the well was properly drilled and sealed. It can provide a safe source of potable water.
I would recommend getting the water tested. Preferably during the spring thaw and /or rainy season. If "ground water" enters the well the chances of contamination will increase. Testing will show ground water contamination along with mineral and chemical content.
Bottled water for drinking is an alternative. Then use the well water for bathing etc. Then the type of hose or pipe won't matter.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Celina , Texas
Thank you everyone for your replies! Obviously, this is going to require a little further research on my part. We're in North Texas, so it doesn't get too too cold, but it does get pretty chilly from time to time. I think a temporary solution (at least as a cost-saving measure), would be to use regular hose for now, and keep our drinking water separate. I don't imagine that washing dishes and such would create too much of a chemical danger issue, would it?

-MB
Old 01-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
I would go the new regular water hose rout . We all drank out of the water hose at everyone's house stayed out after dark, played in the rain, and it did not affect me I don't think anyway.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda1215 View Post
Do I really need 125 ft of potable water hose to connect?
First order question is if you plan to drink the water coming in via the hose.

If so, you might want be more concerned about what is in the water coming from the farm system than what is bringing it to you.

Either way if you are drinking it, a good filter or reverse osmosis unit will remove anything you might concerned with in the hose or the supply.

If you are not drinking it, why worry?

Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote