Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2005, 03:41 PM   #1

Thumbs up Plumbing Overhaul

New to this forum, so please excuse mistakes... My question is: What is involved with replacement of ALL water lines?? I've just purchased a 1970 31ft Soverign that has been neglected... Water lines frozen!!
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think most people that do total replacement use PEX (crosslinked polyethylene) tubing.

The big question is whether to use flair type fittings or crimp ring fittings. The compression rings are a lot cheaper, but require an expensive tool to install. The flair fittings don't require a tool but are expensive. It all comes down to counting the fittings you need and figuring which is cheaper.

The fittings and tubing are available at most home stores. I paid $80 for the crimp ring tool, on sale.

The other big consideration is to make sure all the lines are installed so that they drain to a low spot, and putting in draincocks. The PEX is somewhat freeze resistant, but will still break if not drained or filled with antifreeze.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info. I am doing a water system overhaul. It seems that the rust is coming from the inside of my water tank and if I am putting in a new tank I think that I will put in all new water lines.

Plastic pipe looks like the way to go, I will look into PEX to see what route to go.

Rick
Rick Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Rick,

Are you putting in an ABS tank, and where are you gonna get it?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I wasn't sure. Our local RV parts store should carry something. I have a catalog from a RV superstore in FLA. My wife got are air conditioner from them. They all had the PEX fittings and tubing. I have to get the floor back in before I tear out all the plumbing. These jobs just seem to pile up.

Hopefully we get back on the road before summer is over!

My wife is calling me from the driveway later.
Rick Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
..The other big consideration is to make sure all the lines are installed so that they drain to a low spot...
That means putting in a lot of additional tube supports since the tubing is no where near as stiff as copper, and line sags with PEX are a fact of life.

Of course it is important to properly support your plumbing, but it's also okay to throw the towel in early, and just plan on pumping them full of RV antifreeze during the winter.
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #7
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Send a message via Yahoo to stinkytwinky
Thumbs down Water Replacement woes

I am experiencing the same thing with a recently purchased 1974 28' Argosy. I am installing PEX, and I rented a crimp tool from Home Depot for $8 a day, before I found out my friend had one I could borrow. My biggest problem is finding a replacement fresh water tank. Mine is cracked around the filler neck, and I cannot find anything out there that seems to be good enough to fix it, so it looks like replacement is the best option. There is a smaller crimp tool out now that would be better in tight spaces.

PEX is designed to expand to three times it's size, but the fittings will seperate if it expands that far. Good news is that you can reinstall the PEX with new crimp rings. I hope this helps you. My pain your gain. Good luck.

FYI your pipes should be half inch copper pipe to the manifold then half inch o.d copper tubing from there to the sinks and bath. If you have a plumbing supply store near you this will be a better place to find all PEX related items.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Only one observation...RV antifreeze seems really inexpensive compared to replumbing.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

I did a complete replumb on the Minuet. I used CPVC from the freshwater tank back to the water heater and city water supply inlet. Once it was broken out to the sinks and shower I used PEX with using a combination of crimp and compression fittings. I am very pleased with the job. It went in easily and I was able to do it with a minimum of tools. The hardest part was tearing the bathroom apart to get the old line out from behind the shower!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Only one observation...RV antifreeze seems really inexpensive compared to replumbing.
Cheaper yet, assuming you have access to an air compressor. I built an adapter that hooks on to my city water connection. Set the comp at 40 psi, open faucets one at a time, drain water heater, no water, no breaks. Either pull p-traps on sinks or use a little RV antifreeze. Of course, blowing the lines before the weather goes sub-freezing helps a lot, but that's another story...

Dave
dld0517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

i paid $135 for the pex tool at my local plumbing supply store.......great idea but hard to do one handed.......i did a whole house with pex and it seems to of worked just fine.
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
Regarding tank replacement.

I just saw a 25 gallon bench tank that you can sit on. Check it out at: www.thetackshop.com/benchcaddy.htm Two of these under the benches of a dinette might replace on of my gouchos.
stagecoachbill
stagecoachbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:17 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
Correction:

www.thetackstop.com/benchcaddy.htm
stagecoachbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagecoachbill
That is a pretty neat thing they have there. With two of them that would be a good idea to use them in bench seats.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote