Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
pipes and part of the under pan

Hey ,As you all know Ive been working on replacing my water pipes.I hoping my thought are correct and this part of the under belly pic below.Will give me access to the pipes that are under my holding tank.Is this right ?If so can some show me pic or something on how to get this part off?I repaired all but this one and it appears to be the main water line thats run from the back to the front.Ive tryed sliding it off it wont move.Can anyone help with this i have 5 weeks until school out and i want to be ready to go camping
Attached Images
File Type: bmp problem 3.bmp (260.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: bmp problem4.bmp (215.7 KB, 122 views)
Angel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #2

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Angel

I 'm pretty sure that there are no pipes under the water tank... That thing you photographed is the support for the galvanized "box" that contains the fresh water tank. In my 75 Tradewind I'm pretty sure all of the water pipes are above the floor.

-T
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Same here. My Trade Wind was converted to PEX by a PO and the only fresh water line under the floor comes from the water tank. Some run through closets and under the shower and sink...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
well the pipe run from the back on top of the floor throw the closet throw pantry then goes down under the floor to the sink on the other side.and when i pull on it it hits the (i think the water take it white plastic anyway) theres a grove in the tank that the pipes lays in. and when i pull it it moves the one that comes up throw the floor in pantry.Beside riping up the floor how are you to get to the pipes any other way?
Old 04-18-2006, 10:16 PM   #5

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Oh yeah... Now that you explain that I have seen pictures of the water tank that show the groove you mention but it appears to be between the floor and the tank not under the tank... I'm not sure how your supposed to get to that one. Perhaps there is room to run some PEX through there and bypass the bad copper? Having never worked with PEX I can't tell you but maybe someone else here can speak to that.

-T
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Angel,
We are fixen to have to do the same thing are you doing it all by yourself and how hard is it. My husband is not a handy man I seem to be the handy one in the family never plumbed before but there is a first time if it will save money.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Angel,

If your water crosses from the street side inlet to the curb side kitchen (I assume your arrangement is like mine), the pipe does go under the floor. I will need to do the same thing as you are contemplating and I am going to remove the side skins (banana skins) below the lower belt on each side approximately where the kitchen sits. I think I will be able to get at both ends of the pipe. You don't want to remove the belly skin (the skins in between the frame rails)--there aren't any water pipes there, except that piece that runs above the tank and removing the skins won't get you access.

My alternative plan (my kitchen and mid-bath are both on the curb side) is to simply install a water inlet just in front of the wheel well that is accessible on the inside from under the sink. I'd put it in vertically, as in up through the banana skin area and floor far enough underneath that it's not too visible.That may be a temporary fix, but only requires a longer hose when you hook up. Seems like an easy solution, unless you have water devices on both sides of your trailer.

I'd like to know who you proceed, since I'll be doing mine later this summer.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
well i did the pulling out and the cutting,cleaning and glue and the laying out the new pipe.Then my hubby comes in (after all my hard work..lol)and shouters them together. Then i screw them back down. The biggest problem i ran into is trying to get in the tight spot like under the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink.I have the center bath in mine.Which is very small already and trying to work on pipes under there is even hard.Thank god for small hands...lol But were also replacing the Faust in the shower and the sink in the bathroom because i never what to go back under there again.....It took all of a day .From start to finishes.It would of been easier on me. I think if i would had removed the sink counter in the bathroom but i don't ever do anything the easy way....But i still have the part i cant get to right now thats still not done.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:25 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
theres is a pic on this

where the grove is on the bottom of my tank thats why i ask if i can get to it from underneath.look at my pic and ur see the pipe running under the tank.