Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
crowldawg
The service manual for my '73 indicates 2 or 3 different pipe sizes. If the same applies to your then the answer might not be one size. Can you cut off a small section and take that into the store to match up? You may need to have more than one sample if the size changes throughout.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
If the leak is on the tee itself you should be able to unsweat it and replace the tee,use shop vac or air pressure to clear water from lines.Sheet rock with the paper taken off one side makes a good heat shield ,so you don`t scorch everything within 1 ft. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done
crowldawg
The service manual for my '73 indicates 2 or 3 different pipe sizes. If the same applies to your then the answer might not be one size. Can you cut off a small section and take that into the store to match up? You may need to have more than one sample if the size changes throughout.
I've already done that .Thats where I came up with "no size". 1/2 fitting s were too big 3/8" too small. I also have a few overflows and drains that are 1/4 id .oh oh here we go again ! Is that 3/8 or 1/4".lol
crowldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride
If the leak is on the tee itself you should be able to unsweat it and replace the tee,use shop vac or air pressure to clear water from lines.Sheet rock with the paper taken off one side makes a good heat shield ,so you don`t scorch everything within 1 ft. Dave
I asked my pumber friend about an asbestos pad he laughed . He uses a ceramic tile so he doesn't scorch everything.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I used to have an asbestos shingle as heat shield,that was until I got caught by inspector on job,had to take to haz mat site and bring him back receipt.Ceramic tile can pop sometimes. IF you have plumber friend,get him over there to fix those leaks,sometimes I charge in 6 packs,cause that is where the money would go anyhow.
Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Your pipes may have expanded as mine did so now nothing seems to match in size. So what this thread has taught me is that my pipe repair project has become an entire pipe replace job cause I don't want to rely on swollen pipe. Dang, I hate it when that happens.

I have scrap aluminium sheeting that I use a heat shield. It bends to fit whatever and I can bend corners down to create a airspace insulator when needed. I'm good at sweating, just not good at sweating pipe.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
Friendly plumber or plumber friend

I have been waiting for him but something always comes up .He about 100 miles away .Not exactly around the corner .
I've done all my research I'm starting this weekend .I'm sure I'll plod through.Scoorch tile or two
,crack a few tiles and have to sweat some joints more than once but in the end I'll have a functioning leak free system. That most importantly looks good and not the Rube Goldberg set up I have now
Old 05-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #28
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowldawg
I've already done that .Thats where I came up with "no size". 1/2 fitting s were too big 3/8" too small. I also have a few overflows and drains that are 1/4 id .oh oh here we go again ! Is that 3/8 or 1/4".lol
My good friend Tom, I am going to be blunt. Rip it out and re do ALL of it. Use pex pipe and shark bite fittings. Worth the knowing it is all new and it all works right. You will just need to work a little extra wood to pay for it.

The Home run is a single line running from a manifold to a fixture. It allows you to isolate the hot or cold for any fixture in your trailer. It is totally unnecessary and that is why I went to the extra expense.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
Frank,
I'm not being thick even though Ive been known to be quite capable .Its just that most of the copper is waiting in the garage
Thanks
tom
Old 05-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #30
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Then rip out the old copper and replace it with new. You then will have peace of mind knowing it is all right and all works. You then can take the care to winterize it and never have a thick or thin issue again. I thought because you were thick (like me) that you would do that automatically. From one woodwright to another, do you really want to pick up where some other carpenter left off? Hang a door in a jamb some other knuckle head installed, possibly out of square, possibly out of level. Maybe it is just me that feels this way, but I want to know it is right and was done right.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:52 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
There won't be one shred of old copper in the globetrotter when I get done .I apologize for any confusion .
There are at least 3 different sizes of copper in the old girl
I just found that when I asked questions I confused people .I'm not sure my buddy Syd still knows what I'm looking for .He hasn't called me back. I was trying to get valves and fittings from him at his cost.
I originally wanted to replace every thing as it was .If i can get the parts fine if not I'd be better of with larger diameter pipe .
One last story
I originally went into home depot looking to replace the regulator valve that I mentioned in another post. I showed it to the man at HD .He asked me what it was .Then he told me they don't make it in the size I needed .In the end he had no idea and I never found it on the shelf. Since then i have found a few other sources of plumbing supplies
Old 07-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Concord , North Carolina
The tubing used in the older airstreams was 5/8 od. refrigeration tubing that why it will say 1/2 inch and the plumbing supply place won't have it. I just replaced all mine with PEX and I used both compression and sharkbite and haven't had any problems with leaks at the fittings. It's very flexiable and bends around corners that copper won't.
solitairenc is offline   Reply With Quote