Old 09-28-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Pex questions

We own a 1974 Tradewind that we are updating and new plumbing is on the list. Can anyone give me the short class on Pex and Pex products? I would like to know if it is possible to re-plumb without buying the crimping tool? Can I do the job with the Push and go fittings? Can I mix Pex with cpvc to save a few bucks or do compatibility and adapting issues come into play. Is there a good internet source to buy Pex? We have a Menards close by but their selection of Pex is limited. We will be greatful for any help. Thanks. Brad

Old 09-28-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Brad.

If your going to replumb, do it all, but do it the roght way.

If you try to save a few bucks, splicing this and that, it will bite you "BIG" time, when you least want it to, namely on a trip.

Vibration does strange things to components.

Don't risk it. If you do, several of us will tell you that you will be and and.

Andy

Old 09-28-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
pex

Andy,
I do not plan to skimp on the plumbing job but I would like to know if the crimping tool is needed or can the Push and go fittings be used through out? Or is it a combination of both ? If Pex is not the only system out there I am open to suggestion. Thanks,Brad
Old 09-28-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
www.pexconnection.com

I haven't used any of it, myself, but those 'quest' fittings that they have are extremely bulky. I like the look of the "flair-it" ones, better. I've seen a couple of installations up close, and they look clean and neat.

someone posted another type of connector here recently that was a brass push-on type. they looked very rugged, too. maybe they'll chime in....
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradjun1
We own a 1974 Tradewind that we are updating and new plumbing is on the list. Can anyone give me the short class on Pex and Pex products? I would like to know if it is possible to re-plumb without buying the crimping tool? Can I do the job with the Push and go fittings? Can I mix Pex with cpvc to save a few bucks or do compatibility and adapting issues come into play. Is there a good internet source to buy Pex? We have a Menards close by but their selection of Pex is limited. We will be greatful for any help. Thanks. Brad
I rented a PEX crimper to do mine $5.00 per day, if you can't find a rental the crimpless fittings (Quest and flair-it) work just fine a lttle more expensive than crimp type. I don't think bulk of the connector will bother you plenty of room for them.
The PEX and fittings are available at lots of places, I bought mine from Lowes. Try and get rid of all of the ridged pipe you can otherwise you won't get the full benift of the freeze toughness of PEX.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Pex

Gary,
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't aware of the Flair it fittings. Will these eliminate the need for the crimper? Did you have any trouble adapting to faucets and the pump or was everything available at Lowes? Thanks, Brad
Old 09-28-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Brad.

Use a crimper, unless you like trouble when you travel.

Andy
Old 09-28-2005, 06:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
If you get the tubing online, you can get colors which helps keep hot, cold, and supply straight.

Andy has a point on vibration but I haven't seen any indication that it is a worry. A lot of RV plumbers are using Quest and Flair-it for repairs. Crimping is great if you are into wholesale OEM type stuff but for a small job the Quest or Flair-it do the job. New fittings in these lines are even easier to use.

Most appliances use half inch IPT fittings. This is what you get when you have Quest fittings on 3/8 inch tubing. For the short runs in an RV and low flow requirements, I find 3/8 tubing works OK and makes connections very easy. Your experience may be different etc.

There are places in a trailer where it is difficult to get a crimper in to do the job. A crimper that looks something like a copper tube flaring tool runs about $70.

It is a good idea to avoid any fittings, if you can. I think the rule for PEX is a radius 10x the tube size so you can get around most corners without elbows. Do make sure than any fittings you install of any type are in places easy to inspect and that access for future repairs is also easy.

I suggesting running all lines to a manifold at some convenient low point. This facilitates winterizing and maintenance.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
Consider this. On the inlet line from the water tank to the punp insert a t with two valves. one to shut off water supply from water tank and one to an 18" piece of pex. When it is time to winterize,
a. Drain tank
b. shut off supply line from tank
c. open valve to 18" piece of pex that you just inserted into a gallon jug of antifreeze
d. turn on pump
e. open all faucets one at a time until water coming out turns color of antifreeze (may require several gallons of antifreeze)
Come spring you can fill watrer tank and flush out the system.
Happy camping
Old 09-28-2005, 07:08 PM   #10
Site Team

, Minnesota
Brad,

I have the crimping tool. Where in Northern, Minnesota do you live? Do you get to the Twin Cities often? I might loan it out if you make a security deposit.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
crimper

I live 15 miles south of Duluth on I 35. I do get to the cities. When i get closer to starting this project I will PM you. I think the crimper is the way to go to avoid bulky fitting ect. Thanks Brad
Old 09-28-2005, 07:34 PM   #12
Site Team

, Minnesota
You're welcome to borrow it when the time comes. I took a 1 hr PEX training session, so I am a qualified pex installer with a real CERTIFICATE to prove it.

That and $2 will get me a cup of coffee at Caribou.

I bought the crimper a year ago at Menards when they had a sale. It is 1/2" only. I haven't used it yet, but I am moving ahead on my '59 Tradewind. I will be into the plumbing big time sometime next May.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
pex

Have you decided what size tubing you are going to run? I am planning on 1/2 to the pump and 3/8 throughout the trailer. I know the lines to the faucets are smaller so I hope I can adapt them without a plumbing nightmare. I want to keep my original 1974 faucets. I hope I can smiplify the AS plumbing.I now have 5 drain valves to deal with and I want to eliminate most of them. I am well aware of winterizing so that will be important. Thanks, Brad
Old 09-28-2005, 07:54 PM   #14
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradjun1
Have you decided what size tubing you are going to run?
Brad,

I doing everything in 1/2" The crimper only works on 1/2". If you want to use 3/8", you would need a different crimper.

The 1/2" definitely takes up more room and is harder to run than 3/8". I'm sure 3/8" would be plenty big enough for a single faucet or shower.