Old 09-28-2005, 07:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by markdoane

I doing everything in 1/2" The crimper only works on 1/2". If you want to use 3/8", you would need a different crimper.

The 1/2" definitely takes up more room and is harder to run than 3/8". I'm sure 3/8" would be plenty big enough for a single faucet or shower.
In general, plumbing runs use 1/2" for cold water and 3/8" for hot. You will branch off to faucets with a 3/8" connection of some sort anyway, both hot and cold. You want the smaller size for hot water to reduce the volume of water you waste waiting for the hot water to arrive. While the runs are much shorter in an RV than in a house, boondockers bitterly resent every wasted drop.

'85 Sovereign, 25'
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:23 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Originally Posted by chuck

someone posted another type of connector here recently that was a brass push-on type. they looked very rugged, too. maybe they'll chime in....
I posted this one a while back they are available at plumbing supply houses. My favorite thing about them is that they will allow you to mate different types of pipes to each other; ie; copper to pex, to galvanized etc. They are very simple to use and can be removed if necessary with their own little tool.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:31 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Thank you everyone for all the input. Now I just have to filter this all out and come up with a plan. I'm sure I will use the PEX system and crimp it wherever it can be crimped. Thanks
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma

I replumbed my whole house with pex. It is great. The crimp tool is worth it. Get the one used for the stainless steel fittings & uses the same tool for 1/2 " or 3/4 ". Every fitting I crimped held. Every fitting I had to wrench failed & I had to redo. Crimping is the same everytime. When making multiple connections use the copper manifolds.
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas

A fairly new item is the SharkBite connector. Plumbers are using them more and more. You can go from Pex to copper to CPVC. No special tools required. Website at
Beth and/or David

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #20

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I posted this one a while back they are available at plumbing supply houses. My favorite thing about them is that they will allow you to mate different types of pipes to each other; ie; copper to pex, to galvanized etc. They are very simple to use and can be removed if necessary with their own little tool.

What kind of prices are you looking at for sharkbite fittings?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
I see this subject has been online for several months, so you may have fixed your problems by now. I have a 1990 AS with the Grey Polybutylene in both 3/8 and 1/2 inch sizes. My trailer had a freezup by PO which had been fixed wrong. They cut out the frozen hole and replaced with a straight brass connector. They used a connector one side for PEX and other for Poly and used the same (brass) crimp rings. And from what I now know they did it wrong. The OD of one is bigger than the other and PEX requires a black colored Crimp ring and the poly a copper colored crimp ring. They erred a second time using a connector with one end for PEX. It leaked . Check out the website and read over all the information on all the different kind of connectors. Also read the saga of the polybutylene . I purchased a crimping tool that can handle Oetiker 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and maybe the new 1" Oetiker stainless crimp rings. I paid about $100 at a plumbing supply store, but it handles several sizes. It has shorter handles and fits into tight places. Remember the copper crimp ring tool must be kept at a 90 degree angle to the pipe or it may leak. Lowes, and Home Depot here in Maine are getting well stocked on PEX fittings but PEX Connection has the adapters so you can interchange with polybutylene. For me it was more economical to buy the crimp tool than make two round trips of 350 miles to my nearest AS dealer to get it fixed. CharlieE

CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote