Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I have used all solid crimp rings on both of my trailer refits, it isnt too hard with a bit of planning.

I wanted to go blue and red with my last job, but when I went to get the tube the white was a lot cheaper,,, and I was on a budget......

I used red tape on the hot.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #22
SilverOne

1999 23' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Colored tape is a good idea another way of marking the lines would be with colored "zip ties"

rkgnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Definitely PEX!
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

there is always an odd ball case

I have the grey tubing in the house going to a toilet. PO said PO put it in because the supply to the toilet kept freezing.( 4 or five times a year until I found where the cold air was coming in to feed the wood stove )
SOÖÖ.18 years of freezing 4 or 5 times a year and still no damage.
SOÖÖ.If the new PEX is better than the greyÖGO WITH PEX
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
We put in PEX five years ago, and have been very happy with it. Crimp rings throughout. No problems since install.

You can cut and lay out a section of the system, make everything fit, and then take the whole assembly to a place where the crimping tool has room to work. The fittings can be rotated after they're crimped, so no problem if something turns a little while you're moving the assembly around.

Plan the last crimp or two for a place where there's room for the tool to work.

Remember to make a drawing of the original system before you cut it out.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #26
SilverOne

1999 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
We put in PEX five years ago, and have been very happy with it. Crimp rings throughout. No problems since install.

You can cut and lay out a section of the system, make everything fit, and then take the whole assembly to a place where the crimping tool has room to work. The fittings can be rotated after they're crimped, so no problem if something turns a little while you're moving the assembly around.

Plan the last crimp or two for a place where there's room for the tool to work.

Remember to make a drawing of the original system before you cut it out.

Pex (cross linked polyethylene) is an excellent product. I have installed it in my homes, and it was installed in my 1999 Safari Bambi at the factory. There is one issue to be very careful of. Do NOT let it be exposed to sun light...it will quickly become so brittle that you can break it like a dry twig.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Thanks for the tip about exposure to the sun. I have used a lot of Pex in houses and in my Tradewind and I didnít know that.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
It might be that all pex isn't created equal, but I've been using the same pex for outdoor supply hoses for over three years now in the direct desert sun.

I know it's not a recommended use, but it's worked fine for me so far.

I'm running in the neighborhood of 200 feet of the stuff outdoors 24/7 without issues.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I am also a fan of pex and the solid copper crimp rings. I just don't trust sharkbite fittings and they are expensive. Till recently I always bought the brass or copper fittings but on my last mod to my trailer I used the black plastic fittings with copper crimp rings because that's what Airstream used and they seemed to work fine and are cheaper.-- Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
I am also a fan of pex and the solid copper crimp rings. I just don't trust sharkbite fittings and they are expensive. Till recently I always bought the brass or copper fittings but on my last mod to my trailer I used the black plastic fittings with copper crimp rings because that's what Airstream used and they seemed to work fine and are cheaper.-- Frank
Iíve used sharkbite fittings for a number of small home projects over the years. They have been 100% for me. Not that I recommend it for AS usage, however. Donít know the effect of road vibration on sharkbite fittings or the cpcv tubing.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post

I have done a lot of plumbing work using Pex and before that Quest. One of the advantages of both materials is that the piping would not burst if it became cold enough to freeze. Given this situation, I always used copper fittings figuring that they would freeze before the piping and would not burst as the water would expand into the Pex or Quest piping. Just my 2 cents worth of logic. Of course it really doesnít matter if you always winterize before anything freezes.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:14 AM   #32
SilverOne

1999 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
It might be that all pex isn't created equal, but I've been using the same pex for outdoor supply hoses for over three years now in the direct desert sun.

I know it's not a recommended use, but it's worked fine for me so far.

I'm running in the neighborhood of 200 feet of the stuff outdoors 24/7 without issues.

There is some pex that has limited uv protection. Your experience with pex is definitely out of the ordinary...every technical source that Iíve read warns of the need to protect pex from sunlight. My personal experiences have verified what happens after sunlight exposure. It becomes very brittle.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:21 AM   #33
SilverOne

1999 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Iíve used sharkbite fittings for a number of small home projects over the years. They have been 100% for me. Not that I recommend it for AS usage, however. Donít know the effect of road vibration on sharkbite fittings or the cpcv tubing.

I have used Sharkbite fittings quite a bit with zero failures or leaks.
They will be used again when I repair a couple of pex water lines in the 1999 Safari Bambi that Iím upgrading.