Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,857
Images: 11
I have used all solid crimp rings on both of my trailer refits, it isnt too hard with a bit of planning.

I wanted to go blue and red with my last job, but when I went to get the tube the white was a lot cheaper,,, and I was on a budget......

I used red tape on the hot.
__________________

__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #22
SilverOne
 
1999 23' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 16
Colored tape is a good idea another way of marking the lines would be with colored "zip ties"
__________________

rkgnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
GAStreamin's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 517
Definitely PEX!
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master
 
mandolindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,189
Images: 4
there is always an odd ball case

I have the grey tubing in the house going to a toilet. PO said PO put it in because the supply to the toilet kept freezing.( 4 or five times a year until I found where the cold air was coming in to feed the wood stove )
SOÖÖ.18 years of freezing 4 or 5 times a year and still no damage.
SOÖÖ.If the new PEX is better than the greyÖGO WITH PEX
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master
 
mimiandrews's Avatar
 
1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,599
We put in PEX five years ago, and have been very happy with it. Crimp rings throughout. No problems since install.

You can cut and lay out a section of the system, make everything fit, and then take the whole assembly to a place where the crimping tool has room to work. The fittings can be rotated after they're crimped, so no problem if something turns a little while you're moving the assembly around.

Plan the last crimp or two for a place where there's room for the tool to work.

Remember to make a drawing of the original system before you cut it out.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #26
SilverOne
 
1999 23' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
We put in PEX five years ago, and have been very happy with it. Crimp rings throughout. No problems since install.

You can cut and lay out a section of the system, make everything fit, and then take the whole assembly to a place where the crimping tool has room to work. The fittings can be rotated after they're crimped, so no problem if something turns a little while you're moving the assembly around.

Plan the last crimp or two for a place where there's room for the tool to work.

Remember to make a drawing of the original system before you cut it out.


Pex (cross linked polyethylene) is an excellent product. I have installed it in my homes, and it was installed in my 1999 Safari Bambi at the factory. There is one issue to be very careful of. Do NOT let it be exposed to sun light...it will quickly become so brittle that you can break it like a dry twig.
rkgnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
TouringDan's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,375
Thanks for the tip about exposure to the sun. I have used a lot of Pex in houses and in my Tradewind and I didnít know that.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,857
Images: 11
It might be that all pex isn't created equal, but I've been using the same pex for outdoor supply hoses for over three years now in the direct desert sun.

I know it's not a recommended use, but it's worked fine for me so far.

I'm running in the neighborhood of 200 feet of the stuff outdoors 24/7 without issues.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member
 
fran&frank's Avatar
 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 308
I am also a fan of pex and the solid copper crimp rings. I just don't trust sharkbite fittings and they are expensive. Till recently I always bought the brass or copper fittings but on my last mod to my trailer I used the black plastic fittings with copper crimp rings because that's what Airstream used and they seemed to work fine and are cheaper.-- Frank
__________________
Frank & Fran
2016 27' FC FB with 400 W solar
2016 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
I am also a fan of pex and the solid copper crimp rings. I just don't trust sharkbite fittings and they are expensive. Till recently I always bought the brass or copper fittings but on my last mod to my trailer I used the black plastic fittings with copper crimp rings because that's what Airstream used and they seemed to work fine and are cheaper.-- Frank
Iíve used sharkbite fittings for a number of small home projects over the years. They have been 100% for me. Not that I recommend it for AS usage, however. Donít know the effect of road vibration on sharkbite fittings or the cpcv tubing.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master
 
TouringDan's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
I am also a fan of pex and the solid copper crimp rings. I just don't trust sharkbite fittings and they are expensive. Till recently I always bought the brass or copper fittings but on my last mod to my trailer I used the black plastic fittings with copper crimp rings because that's what Airstream used and they seemed to work fine and are cheaper.-- Frank


I have done a lot of plumbing work using Pex and before that Quest. One of the advantages of both materials is that the piping would not burst if it became cold enough to freeze. Given this situation, I always used copper fittings figuring that they would freeze before the piping and would not burst as the water would expand into the Pex or Quest piping. Just my 2 cents worth of logic. Of course it really doesnít matter if you always winterize before anything freezes.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:14 AM   #32
SilverOne
 
1999 23' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
It might be that all pex isn't created equal, but I've been using the same pex for outdoor supply hoses for over three years now in the direct desert sun.

I know it's not a recommended use, but it's worked fine for me so far.

I'm running in the neighborhood of 200 feet of the stuff outdoors 24/7 without issues.


There is some pex that has limited uv protection. Your experience with pex is definitely out of the ordinary...every technical source that Iíve read warns of the need to protect pex from sunlight. My personal experiences have verified what happens after sunlight exposure. It becomes very brittle.
rkgnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:21 AM   #33
SilverOne
 
1999 23' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Iíve used sharkbite fittings for a number of small home projects over the years. They have been 100% for me. Not that I recommend it for AS usage, however. Donít know the effect of road vibration on sharkbite fittings or the cpcv tubing.


I have used Sharkbite fittings quite a bit with zero failures or leaks.
They will be used again when I repair a couple of pex water lines in the 1999 Safari Bambi that Iím upgrading.
__________________

rkgnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To PEX or not To PEX perryg114 Sinks, Showers & Toilets 69 10-04-2012 05:32 PM
PEX Replacement CAN NOT BE DONE...'75 Tradewind... onemanclan Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures 40 04-16-2011 09:50 PM
Copper vs. PEX ckeysor Fresh Water Systems 19 07-11-2007 01:03 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.