Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Pex manifold?

Anyone use a manifold for the pex? I was think a manifold would make a very clean install. I see a lot that are 1" center with 1/2" branches...would that work or do you have to get a 1/2" in ...(I am a total newbie to this stuff)
The one in the photo is 1/2" all over with a 3/4/ pipe center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sbite.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	115313  
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:59 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
The mainfold fitting in your photo works great but are used most of the time on more complicated plumbing jobs. For most AS requirements the simple "Tee" fitting will be adequate unless your are making multiple pipe runs from a single point to each faucet. Try to keep your tubing sizes to a minimum (like all 1/2" or 1/2" with 1/4") - keep your plumbing layout simple. When camping you are only using one faucet at a time most of the time.
Mike Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks. So the manifold might look cool but it's not needed. I intend to get 1/2" tubing.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Started Pex replacement today

Restoring my 1976 and this week put air to check for leaks. Wouldn't you know the previous owner didn't winterize so I found several splits.The main one was close to the tub mixing valve and naturally difficult to get to. Decided to replace the valve and fish the new pex in.Took most of the day because you can't get to anything. It was difficult but forced me to do the rest. If any one watches the Christmas story the guy working on the furnace with bad words may sound like me. We will see how this goes.
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
AlanSD
I would stick with PEX and Ts. Keep it simple. When I pressure tested the Bambi, all the leaks were in the brass PEX to MIP or FIP fitings. All the crimp rings on the Pex were perfect.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks Tim. Looks like I can order what I need for this job in a month or so. Getting the floor repair and outriggers done first.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Pex manifold

Can I use a copper Pex manifold that has a 3/4" input and 5 of the 1/2" ports? It is mainly the 3/4 input line I am wondering about.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonny River , New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is "heat trace tape"? I was thinking of insulating my runs with the foam sleeves.
Not sure if you received an answer. its a ribbon type "heater" that you wrap around your pipes and plug in. there normally is a thermostat connected that turns the system on at freezing temps. it would mean that your trailer would have to be connected to power all winter though.
Rob&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Pex manifold

Alan, I hope all is going well with your pex replacement. just a suggestion. I wondered about using the pre made manifold. As I got into the process. And ran the various hot and cold runs back to the rear access so I can see any joint leaks I decided against using the manifold and made one out of lots of tees and put the connections where I needed them. The 3/4 inch in and out cause too much connection problems for me. Also you want one output to be horizontal to the drains so everything drains out. I took ours to Fort Mountain last weekend for the first time out to check all plumbing and everything worked well. Good luck on your project.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
GUESS I asked the manifold question twice. Sorry. Saw a 3/4 in with 5 1/2 outs and figured it might be a simple set up, its about 10 bucks.
I am ready to start putting inthe pex, got both faucets set in place.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker63 View Post
AlanSD
I would stick with PEX and Ts. Keep it simple. When I pressure tested the Bambi, all the leaks were in the brass PEX to MIP or FIP fitings. All the crimp rings on the Pex were perfect.
Tim
anything special to look for in crimping rings and tool? I see copper rings available pretty cheap. If I buy a bunch of tees and rings it will sure be less than going with all shrkbite connectors. $$ is an issue right now
( I mean always..)
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #52
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
anything special to look for in crimping rings and tool? I see copper rings available pretty cheap. If I buy a bunch of tees and rings it will sure be less than going with all shrkbite connectors. $$ is an issue right now
( I mean always..)
Alan,
I bought a crimping tool from Lowes that has 3/8,1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch rings. It was around $100 but got it on sale for less than$75. May have been a close out model. I have only used the 3/8 and 1/2 but I like it a lot and never have to do over. The shark bites are expensive and I only use those types when going from the PB to Pex. I'm looking to buy a bunch of couplers, tees and elbows so I can quit going to Lowes to buy. HD rarely has any Pex in there mess for Pex. I want to transition out of the PB as soon as I can and also need to do some water lines around the shop. If you find a good source for the fittings, let me know.
Joe
Old 02-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am an Ebay nut and I see lots of Pex stuff on there. Often the crimpers for 20-30 a piece and the fittings in lots at good deals. Usually someone who bought too much, or a dealer who sells close outs. I went to HD just now and they are pretty limited on what they have. The guy told me to stick with the brass connectors, and try to do as many connections as I can beforehand. I did not think of crimping on short lines for the faucets, inserting the faucet body and then attaching the tee from below. It shows just how much of a newbie I am for plumbing. DUH
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Alan, Go to Lowes for most of your things if not on EBay. They have more things for pex.Some things you may want to consider. In doing my 1976 this is some things I found.Lowes has--1/2 inch pipe with tabs used for shower heads that screw to the bumper for the inlet when you put a garden hose fitting. 1/2 inch pressure reducer,1/2 inch check valve,1/2 inch pop off valve. HD doesn't. 1/2 inch pipe that hand tightens to faucet end and hot water fittings. Kolbot tools makes a pinch clamp tool instead of using compression rings, They get in closer and I didn't have any leaks.I used the toilet cut off valves to make the low area drain and two sink supply lines through the bottom . you need a line from the pop off valve incase over pressured. Buy contractor packs of tee as it takes quite a few. Lowes has a better selection of brass instead of black or galvanized While you're on a roll add a valve and hand sprayer in the back to rinse feet at the beach. Soon I will try to learn how to add pictures and some of this may made since
Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Photos here

thanks for all the pex info. To add photos to your posts, go below where you type and look for the attach files box, with the grey button that says manage attachments.It is down below the submit reply and preview post buttons.
After you hit the button to manage attachments, a new little window opens where you can "browse" through your computers files to find the pictures. Then select one at a time, and hit upload when through. Close the little window and post your message.
The files can be reasonably large- the sizes are listed when you hit the manage button.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I ordered a bunch of fittings: tees, couplings,elbows, crimp rings. All from Pex Universe.
Their prices were less than half of what I found at Lowe's. Home Depot had little if anything at the one near my home.
I will buy the tubing at Lowe's or HD, and use a few gator or shark bite or whatever they have fittings for the water heater.
Now i need a crimper. Saw one hand made by a seller on Ebay that looks promising. Lifetime warranty from him also and many sold.
Ready to get started as soon as the weather is a tad warmer..
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
PEX Crimp tool

When you use crimp rings on PEX fittings, the difference between a good crimp and a bad one is a very small increment. When you buy a crimp tool you also get a "go"/"no go" guage. Use the guage to set up your crimp tool initially and check your joints often with the guage. It will save you some headaches (leaks) later.
Mike Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks. I saw those at Lowe's. Will have to get one.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Fittings for water heater

Alan, I was wondering about your question on the water heater connection . Go ahead and put a by pass valve while your torn out they are about $15. This allows for easy winterization. But it also gives you two 1/2 inch pipe thread outputs. You can then get the proper finger tight fittings from Lowes and not use shark bite. If room permits use the straight one and a short piece of pex then an elbow rather then the 90 degree. I found if there is any strain on the pipe it will leak as the seat does not fit but the other way solves it.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks for that. I have two copper pieces sticking out of the Atwood now cut to 8 or 10 inches, I am trying to attach to them. I already have a couple of the brass valves I bough, will try to incorporate them. The bag of Pex goodies came yestreday
I am going to get my feet wet ( hopefully not literally) soon as I get a crimper, putting in the kitchen and bath faucets, and figuring out how to get the shower lines out of there...may be doing some more cutting. I wil sure be a happy camper when we have water and not on the floor!
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!