Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Socorro , New Mexico
I just re-plumbed my International and used PEX with Sea tech push fittings and they work great and you don't need any specialty tools to put it together . Dancepancha
dancepancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #22
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I'm redoing mine in the next couple of weeks, the pex looks great, but in my boat which using the same pump and takes shore water pressure etc.

THe whole boat is plumbed with reininforsed vinyl it has a blue and red strip in it.

Its about .75 a foot makes all kinds of turns, just uses hose clamps and brass fitting.

Anyone have any experience with it in an RV?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:42 PM   #23
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Lipets--All of the repair in my A/S has been with reinforced vinyl tubing. Where the original copper is OK, I just slide it over the copper and fasten with stainless steel clamps. I think it is a lot easier to work with than PEX, with fewer fittings. Max water pressure is 40psi, and I have had no problem with leaks in 18-years.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Bad news. On first test of the system, the valve to the water heater leaks! Not onto the floor, but it doesn't do its job. Crap, bad place (tight) to have to remove and replace. If you have any way to test your valves before putting them in, I highly recommend it. This is a ball valve, which are usually very reliable, but not this time. I'd guess I've experienced a 7-10% leakage of this type in all types that I've purchased, so checking them is a good idea if you can figure out a fixture that will allow it.

...continued...
Correction. The valve is OK. What was happening was the 30-year old sink fixture was leaking internally, allowing flow from the cold to the hot side, then back down the hot line into the water heater. Not a problem if the hot side is filled, but definitely a problem for cold weather boondocking if you want to keep the water heater dry. Fixture is being replaced, along with the entire sink area.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #25
USS REQUIN 481

1963 19' Globetrotter
1988 25' Excella
Reynolds , Georgia
Just when I thought I was so smart

Boy that is some network of pipes and wires....I would not want to have plastic pipes in a freeze... one time and they snap like twigs afterwords.
Copper all the way and insulation is need be.
Our '63 GlobeT does not have all that stuff inside... My biggest challenge is a water pump to use the supply in the old iron water tank at the front of the cabin. It came with a neat little air pump to build up air preassure when in use. I will convert it to a water pump service.
I liked the one the Zeppilinium used. We do not plan to do boondocking or selfcontained. This Airstream will be for travel across country using RV Parks all the way. I hate going to Motels...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	69921   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0013.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	69922  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0015.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	69923   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0016.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	69924  

Old 10-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
pex versus copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris View Post
Boy that is some network of pipes and wires....I would not want to have plastic pipes in a freeze... one time and they snap like twigs afterwords.
Copper all the way and insulation is need be.
Our '63 GlobeT does not have all that stuff inside... My biggest challenge is a water pump to use the supply in the old iron water tank at the front of the cabin. It came with a neat little air pump to build up air preassure when in use. I will convert it to a water pump service.
I liked the one the Zeppilinium used. We do not plan to do boondocking or selfcontained. This Airstream will be for travel across country using RV Parks all the way. I hate going to Motels...
Pex will not get brittle after freezing,I have a house in Ohio,when I am ready to come back south,I shut off water ,open main drain,drain water heater,and open faucets.Nothing has burst in 3 years and the pipes are not pitched. Also antifreeze in traps.That was the sole purpose of the pex,to not have to mess with blowing out lines.Also both of my airstreams are plumbed with pex.
Someone was worried about pressure,when we install pex we test @150#
just to make sure. Dave The Plumber
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #27
USS REQUIN 481

1963 19' Globetrotter
1988 25' Excella
Reynolds , Georgia
Pex over Copper

Easyride,
The work we are doing now is replacing pex. The former owner used pex through out. It is kinda like using pvcp pipe to me. Do any RV manufacturers use Pex? Our Globe Trotter is so small it is easy for me to say copper all the way.... and now with copper so expensive it's pricey.
Believe me I wish I could use the Pex for simplicity's sake too.
Just two different camps on the subject. Your the pro not me.
The very best to you and thanks for all your shared help on everything.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #28
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris View Post
Easyride,
The work we are doing now is replacing pex. The former owner used pex through out. It is kinda like using pvcp pipe to me. Do any RV manufacturers use Pex? Our Globe Trotter is so small it is easy for me to say copper all the way.... and now with copper so expensive it's pricey.
Believe me I wish I could use the Pex for simplicity's sake too.
Just two different camps on the subject. Your the pro not me.
The very best to you and thanks for all your shared help on everything.
Most if not all new trailers built today are built with PEX. What color is the pipe that is currently in your trailer, if it is solid gray and flexible it is most likely Polybutylene not PEX. It will freeze and crack. CPVC is usually hard and white (but I have seen some colored stuff) PEX with brass crimped fittings is the way to go. Copper is good stuff, but with the amount of vibration and the danger of freezing in an RV it isn't the best choice anymore. My 1975 is fully plumbed with copper, it also has several repaired areas. All of it is coming out and being replaced with PEX. Houses are static and in some parts of the country freezing is less of an issue. My parents house still has some of the original copper plumbing going strong after 70+ years.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
johns island , South Carolina
Pex is far superior. Make sure you use copper or brass fittings and connections. Also, be aware that all connections are interior to the pipe, and therefore you functionally loose one pipe size. We have ( in the construction business ) found that installing 3/4" pex instead of 1/2" gives us the equivilent water pressure.
davechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #30

Cedar Creek , Texas
I re-plumbed my OTAS with PEX after a kitchen remodel and used Seatech fittings. These fittings do not have a barb inside the pipe and do not reduce the ID at the fitting.

Pressure tested (air over water) at 150 psi when installed and now at 14 mos and 10 trips since installed I've not experienced any leaks period.

No tool required and easy to remove/reuse the fittings.

Quick Connect Fittings - Manifolds - Valves - Sea Tech, Inc.
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote