Old 08-31-2011, 05:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

Yes, but first you will have to switch from copper pipe to Pex. You can do this by soldering an adaptor to go from copper to Pex or use a Sharkbite or similar adaptor.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I like PEX plumbing a lot since I've found it easy to install, reliable and superior to copper.

I've used the full ring clamps and rented the crimpers from Home Depot and while they worked well the crimpers are so large that they are difficult to get into some locations leading to a botched crimp and a leaky connection and more work to undo the bad crimp to try again.

I've also used the hose clamp style crimp rings available at Lowes's and they worked even better for me because the crimpers are cheap enough to buy my own set, and they're small enough to get into most locations to produce a good connection. This system is the only one that I use now.

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Austin, TX "Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "Can I use pex and crimps to attach a new outside faucet to my copper on my house:?"

not crimps.

For connecting to copper, you need to use the Sharkbyte type fitting rated for copper (gatorbyte at Lowe's) or the Quest fittings at your local hardware. Those will work on both copper and pex.

I am curious about the obsession with crimping pipe connectors. Crimping is OK if you are in the business and do enough to warrant the tools and training required to do it right. For smaller jobs, like re-plumbing an Airstream, there are other solutions that don't require the capital investment, are less prone to error, and much more convenient.

interesting note about O-rings only lasting a few years ... many modern faucets use those things and have lifetime warranties.

Then there's the polybutyl pipe, acetyl fittings, and aluminum crimp ring story - you'll find these on early 90's rigs and the odds are you will find they need replacing (Shell lost a big lawsuit on this).

As for each of use, cost, and 'professional' look, as well as simple construction (no O-rings!), possibility of re-use, and capability to tighten if need be, I still prefer Flair-it fittings on pex.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' International
lubbock , Texas
Interesting thread

I have just finished replacing several fittings on my 30 year old Excella ... with a combination of Watts brand and SharkBite brand push on fittings ... the crimp fittings had broken & started leaking in a couple of places.

I'll let you know in another 30 years if the push-on fittings have lasted as long as the original.

Lets see I'll be 95 & the Excella will be 60... I'll make a note so I will be sure to, where to put the note .... hmmmm

jump is offline   Reply With Quote