Old 05-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
I'm going to install Pex and Sharkbite fittings in mine this weekend.

Hopefully this will be a smooth process.

Dual holding tanks are in, ABS drain pipe installed, no leaks.

Winston Salem, NC
WBCCI 5218,
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I have been using SeaTech fittings, PEX water lines, and Shark Bite fittings since '02. 99% of the time, they are foolproof.

Kevin with Baity the Lab/Pointer
//------AIR # 7303------\\
WBCCI 17109
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Elgin , Texas

Originally Posted by Silverwanabe
I'm going to install Pex and Sharkbite fittings in mine this weekend.

Hopefully this will be a smooth process.

Dual holding tanks are in, ABS drain pipe installed, no leaks.
I decided to try some of those this weekend. I needed a transition from 3/4" CPVC to 1/2" PEX in my home. I was skeptical but figured it was easy to go another route if needed, since I was only dealing with 2 couplings in this case. It was mud simple to connect them, and no leaks so far. They are a bit on the pricey side, but seem very well constructed. I haven't heard of anyone using them in an environment like an RV, which is obviously subject to a lot of jostling and vibration, so please keep us posted on how it all turns out.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #18
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I've used the Pex as well without any issues. Had a slow leak once installed but just tightened the fitting a quater turn more and that solved it. The obvious question is your pressure regulator. Is it working and what is it's rating? Pex shouldn't cause that many issues.

4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #19
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Originally Posted by crispyboy
About the time I got the mess cleaned up the shop vac tipped over in the trailer spilling the water again and I hit my head on the door frame on the way out the door. I launched the shop vac about 65 feet across the yard at that point. Man is my temper getting shorter as I get older...........
Man, I can totally see myself there...
2007 20' Safari SE/LS // 12063 //CA-5// ("ex") 2916
5cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
1987 29' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Bathrm Plumbing

I had a leak in the shower valve took my trailer to Alabama Airstream repair place. Original leak got fixed but splice is leaking, looks like a aluminum crimp ring on both side of brass sleeve. Is there a better way to splice?
Airstream87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
At this point the pressure regulator shouldn't even be a factor as I was hooked up to the cistern pump at my house. The pump is regulated to max out at 40 psi.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #22
Always Airstreaming!
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi

Sorry, I had to post this photo! I have used the crimps on all my connections on the Tradewind and had no problems. Of course I had to plan ahead in those really tight spots.
J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
HAHA. Reminds me of a similar "temper" situation.
Wife left a 2 1/2 gallon water of jug up on a counter. After pulling the trailer out to close the gate behind me I saw water dripping out of my trailer. I go inside and see the jug busted open on the ground. So I grab a bunch of rags and start wiping up. While doing that I slightly squish my Prada sun-glasses (mind you I have a large head and it's hard for me to find glasses that fit correctly) they were just slightly bent, but between the water spilling and the glasses I grab my glasses, open handed, and start slamming them into my closet door, breaking them into pieces. Ohh well.
2005 22ft Safari
2003 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 5.3l
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I have been gradually replacing our copper. I put in a new water heater last spring and did all the service plumbing with Pex but because of the tight work space (one hand only) I used Shark Bite connectors. Boy, they have spoiled me. Shark Bites are pricey but given the damage I could incur (ie. 65' shop vac hammer throw) they are well worth the expense.
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Originally Posted by crispyboy
Are the Flair-it fittings an internet special order item?

I was thinking about getting one of the knock off tools for crimping I see advertised on ebay. I believe the guy makes them in his machine shop.
The other problem I forgot to mention before is the drain valves for the entire system continually leak through the valve. I even switched a few of them out with some other valves in the system but those leaked just as much.

You either have a bad batch of tubing (off size) or a bad batch of fittings. I have been using Sea-Tech fittings exclusvely for 4 years now on every plumbing job I've done, and the only time they leak is when you don't completely insert the tubing into the fitting. And no, I don't use the black plastic inserts (the fittings I buy DO NOT include these, I only see them in the home centers).

You might try removing the black plastic inserts and try agian. Be sure that they are fully inserted, or they will leak! I have even used them on copper to cpvc and copper to pex connections and they still don't leak!

Hope you solve your problem, as I have found them to be exellent and super quick to install, especially in hard to reach areas.
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
1977 Argosy 28
Agassiz , b.c.
Pex Problems

I'm a carpenter by trade, and although I have no plumbing ticket I do my fair share on renos and in both of my argosy's. My experience with plumbing has taught me to use whatever is simplest. Pex is by far the simplest to use, and the best choice in a trailer, but I highly recommend using a crimper. Proper pex connectors, either brass or poly with the round copper crimp rings will work well. Rent a specific 1/2" crimp unit from home depot or wherever, and crimp each fitting twice, rotating the crimper 90deg or so from the first crimp to get a good seal. I have never had a pex fitting leak on me when done this way. I can't say the same for the fancy and expensive quick couplers that you mention. Use the crimp on ball valve supplies for your faucets etc. and fasten everything properly to prevent shifting and you should be golden. good luck..........kevin
uglyduck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I hope to work on the plumbing issue more this weekend. I have to go out of town for work the remainder of the week - dang-it!
Last night I purchased some flexible lines to go between the Pex and the faucet. I'm afraid I may be binding the fittings in this area. I also bought a couple of pieces so I can reuse some old valves (still in good shape) to change out the Pex valves that continually leak. Can't get a good shutdown on the valves - the water leaks through them. I'll let you'all know when I beat this project.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I know the feeling. We just purchased last OCT. I asked the PO were there any leaks. He said not that he knew of. When I am ready to use the trailer this spring I washed out the Anti freeze ,filled the fresh tank and turned on the pump and WHAHOO the FOUNTIAN OF YOUTH in the rear compartment under the Shower. Some one cut the copper and then just squashed the end with no solder. I had water spraying everywhere and I was ready to leave for the campground. Talk about temper I could have chewed wire and spit nails. OH WELL Mikefixit I AM I AM and I made a temporary patch and went on my way. SO I KNOW THE FEELING I just had to get GLAD AGAIN

Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote