Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Pex Connector Question

Does anybody recognize the connectors used here? A P.O. made a very poor attempt (c. 2002) at re-plumbing stuff several years ago and used white PEX tubing and these connectors. I want to try and re-use some of the water line and connectors if possible, but when I looked at Lowe's today, I couldn't find anything that looked like this stuff. Any ideas?

As always, thanks in advance.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pex 1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	72932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pex 2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	72933  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pex 3.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	72934  

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
They look a lot like these fitting: POLYBUTYLENE repair fittings - PlumbingSupply.com

I prefer flair-it fitting. Very easy to use and have been very reliable over the years. ESCO: Flair-It Fittings

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Jim:

Those are quest connectors. You can get them at home depot. Make sure you go to a big home depot instead of the small home depot. I have some I might be able to let you use. I have a bucket of bits and pieces of those connectors. They are worth it for the money but they can leak and come apart. Directions say hand tighten them but that did not seem to work for me. They would leak or pop off and then I would have a mess. I used channel locks and cranked them down but not to tight. I am slowly going to change mine out over time. I am going to go with PVC. it is much easier to work with. Also if you go with PVC and want to use pex then you can hook the two up with a shark bite.

If PVC breaks you just cut the piece out and glue another in. I wish I would have gone with PVC in the beginning.

Lothlorian

Brian
Old 12-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Ore City , Texas
Spend the money and buy a Pex crimper and replace all you can with new Pex tubing. I thought the product you have had been discontinued, but Brian says HD still carries it. I tried to use the stuff years ago but never had much luck with it. Always ended up with leaks in a short period of time. I still use PVC for some jobs, but Pex is by far my first choice. It actually makes the job fun to do.
tdeLorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Thanks guys, sounds like the best idea is to use "modern" bits and pieces. Who knew that 2002 parts weren't "modern"? So much for saving a couple of bucks, eh?

Brian, see you tomorrow!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Pex and sharkbite

I completely re-did all of our plumbing in our Airstream and used pex tubing and sharkbite fittings. We have had no leaks at all whatsoever anywhere period. Sharkbits are a little pricey but I do not trust hard plastic fittings in something that bounces down the road.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
The pex crimp tool is pricey if you only have a few connections to make. I replumbed our unit using pex and sea-tech fitting. You can get them at Lowe's. Haven't had the first leak. Like shark bite, they aren't cheap, but much better than having to replace a connection later on.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Some Home Despots rent the crimping tool. Or if you have a buddy who is a plumber it will probably cost you a 12 pack.

Crimping is the way to go, however I do use the sharkbite/sea-tech fittings for in place repairs.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
FWIW the crimpers are coming down in price. I think Lowes has them for $50-60 which is half what they used to be. In my area Lowes and Home Depot stock the PEX supplies. I always use crimp joins, not the compression fittings. Sharkbites are expensive and add up fast when doing a lot of work. They are code compliant and can be sealed in residential applications though which says a lot.

I can also verify that PEX can freeze solid and be fine once it warms up. Try that with copper or SPVC!

My experience is limited to residential construction, not trailers- yet. So that is my disclaimer
Others: 1971 Chevy C-10 with 5.3 LS and T5 conversion, 1983 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer (FSJ) with 5.3 LS and SM465 conversion, 1979 Porsche 911SC
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
There is a disclaimer on the Quest fittings that says not to use them in a wall or an "unseen" area. I had Quest to come apart in an apartment 10 years ago and flooded the whole lower level. I'll choose PEX, Sharkbite, Gator Tite (Lowes), Sea Tech (plastic), or crimped connections from now on.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote