Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
PEX-a couple of interesting things

First, this tool: The Pex Pocket Crimper- For permanent crimp connections with PEX tubing fittings. I don't have one yet but am likley to get one. For those of you doing major plumbing with PEX this tool is much less expensive that other tools for installing the compression rings. I suppose it might be too bulky for some situations

Second, I was fooling around in my shop trying to remove some PEX tubing from some Quest fittings so that I could save the fittings for future use. The fittings were attached using compressed rings. I started to grind away one of the rings and noticed that the heat from the grinding operation was transfered to the PEX which had softened to the extent that I could simply pull the partially melted PEX off leaving me with a ready to use fitting.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
..."heat from the grinding operation was transfered to the PEX which had softened to the extent that I could simply pull the partially melted PEX off ..."

I wonder if one could use a heat gun to do this??
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrgirdner
..."heat from the grinding operation was transfered to the PEX which had softened to the extent that I could simply pull the partially melted PEX off ..."

I wonder if one could use a heat gun to do this??
Wouldn't surprise me. If I have any more scrap with fittings still attached, I'll try it.

One thing though, all the heat seemed to be absorbed by the PEX, the fitting wasn't hot at all. I don't know what would happen with a heat gun.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 06-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
Try the heat gun. In installing a home run PEX system( house plumbing ) it's common to use hot water or a heat gun(low setting) to slip the PEX over fittings as it contracts within minutes to it's original diameter. Some installation tools use an expanding gadget (similar to a tubing expander) to expand the PEX to facilitate slipping over the barb on the fitting. Here again, the tubing returns to it's original diameter within minutes.
PEX is really neat stuff...probably will be used 100% in a few years for all indoor plumbing. It's used almost exclusively in radiant floor heating systems now and gaining wide popularity for hot and cold "home run" systems in new construction.
Cheers, Jeff
Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Remember, these connections had compressed metal rings on them. So, to be able to pull them apart, I had to get them hot enough to actually melt the PEX so that it could be pulled off of the 'barbs' with the ring still in place.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I am 90% finished replumbing my Tradewind with Pex. In about half of the locations where I used rings the pocket crimper wouldn't fit.

I think it also looks pretty labor intensive, needing to reset the 10" vice grips several times for each ring.

I would recommend either buying the regular crimpers, or stay with the Seatech press-in fittings.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have PEX with flare fittings. A heat gun or hair dryer is a must for getting those connections apart.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I have PEX with flare fittings.
???
What on earth are those?
Do you have pictures or a link?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Oppppss! I ment Flair-It Connectors
Pex Connection : Flair-It PEX and Polybutylene Plumbing System

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
First, this tool: The Pex Pocket Crimper- For permanent crimp connections with PEX tubing fittings. I don't have one yet but am likley to get one. For those of you doing major plumbing with PEX this tool is much less expensive that other tools for installing the compression rings. I suppose it might be too bulky for some situations

Second, I was fooling around in my shop trying to remove some PEX tubing from some Quest fittings so that I could save the fittings for future use. The fittings were attached using compressed rings. I started to grind away one of the rings and noticed that the heat from the grinding operation was transfered to the PEX which had softened to the extent that I could simply pull the partially melted PEX off leaving me with a ready to use fitting.
Another option that doesn't require any special tools is the Shark bite fittings, they are good for copper, pex in any combination.
I have installed about 18-20 in the last year. they install in seconds by hand and they also have a release collar that can be used to change if you so desire, and they can be rotated after installation.
Don

SharkBite Fittings Cash Acme Elbows, Tees and Other Fittings. Shark Bite Fitting for Heating and Plumbing Systems
nymphfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I am getting ready to put pex plumbing in our trailer, I have searched a lot of threads on the subject and a lot of web sites. One thing I found and seems like a lot of people on here except one that I seen is that they say not to use pex within 18" of a water heater. Use copper then change to pex. Does anyone know anything about this or any problems??? This is the sight I was talking about. http://www.pexconnection.com/PEX%20C...LOG%202004.pdf
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Well if that's the case I'm in big trouble.
I ran pex up to the water heater fittings several months ago with no problems yet. It's rated for hot water, I don't see why it would be a problem.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote