Old 11-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
We are doing a complete re-plumb on our 79 Excella and used PEX with the Flair-It connections. The mid-west distributer is here in town and they convinced me to use the fittings verse crimp rings. They also had the white tubing with red or blue logos along it so you could distinguish hot and cold lines.

The flair-it connections, when made up are very solid. I made one up and then tried to take it apart and although you can remove the nut holding the line, the line itself seems to seat on the barbed end of the fitting and is tough to remove. They make a special wrench to tighten the fittings with, seems like it was around 10 dollars and well worth it.

One last thing, the supplier told me that PEX has a thermal memory and if you heat it it will turn clear, remove the heat and hold it in the position you want and when it turns white it will retain that shape. My father-in-law did much of the plumbing and by using a heat gun made some impressive radius's and formed the PEX around various obstructions.

Dan

Old 11-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Greetings,

Just a thought on the rings vs. compression fittings. I have used, and still use if necessary, Oetiker clamps. These are the small, eared clamps that require a specialized plier. The pliers are available for well under $40 and are designed to install the clamps. I bought mine here. One advantage of the pliers is that the pliers have two clamping faces allowing for some very tight installations to be accomplished quite easily.

This link will give you some info on the clamps and why you might consider them as an effective, low cost alternative to the screw together compression fittings. A big plus is the ability of the clamp to 'give' a little when the PEX pipe and fitting are under freezing pressure and return to full functionality when temperatures return to above freezing.

Just a thought.

Take care,

A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:00 AM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
The hardware store sells PEX in red and blue but they only sell in 100 foot rolls. I was going to buy a 50 foot roll of the white, but would love colored lines for ease of future work. Does anyone have leftover tubing that they are looking to sell?
I bought my entire water supply piping and fittings here:

www.rvpartsoutlet.com

The flair-it fittings and pex ( poluethylene tubing) is quite easy and effective to work with.
I did not mind paying a little more for an excellent system that is flexible enough to make changes later if neccesary. I did buy the " special tool' for 4 5.00 to tighten the flair-it fittings.
I did not have a single leak from the flair it to pex fittings. I did have a few drips from the flair-it to water heater inlets due to insufficient teflon tape application.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:58 AM   #18
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
The hardware store sells PEX in red and blue but they only sell in 100 foot rolls. I was going to buy a 50 foot roll of the white, but would love colored lines for ease of future work. Does anyone have leftover tubing that they are looking to sell?
What price did you get?

I would split it with you perhaps.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
I had the same dilema-I went with Sea Tech/Watts and have no regrets
Old 11-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
What price did you get?

I would split it with you perhaps.
The 100' rolls of red and blue are $25.00+tax each. I figure I need maybe 50 feet total combined.