Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Bluto and thank you for responding.

When you say to buy the right formula, is the G/Flex 655-8 the right one? After reading their info, that is the one I thought it would take.

Glad to hear your fix is still holding up! Did you have to use a propane torch to set it? Was that scary, and did you have to take any safety measures?

Thanks again.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Yes that's the one I used. It comes in 2 tubes, you mix the same amount of each and apply to the spot. I would force it into the hole, there is plenty of time to work the g-flex as it takes a while to harden, there was no need to set it with a torch as it is a chemical bond and it bonds at room temps. Basically, it cures over night. I just made sure the area was dry and free of any dirt particles. The next day I added another coating of the stuff to the area and let that dry completely. It bonds perfectly to the tank material. My leak was on the side near the bottom of my 54gal. fresh water tank. I always travel with a full fresh water tank before and since the repair. I easily put at least 10,000 miles on the trailer since doing the patch a couple of years ago.
P.S. I think I did hit the patch area with a heat gun prior to applying the g-flex, But it's not for curing the epoxy, but I think it helps the epoxy bond easier to the tank and ensures that the area is dry. I put the epoxy on the tank and made the repair when the tank was at room temperature, not heated.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote