Old 05-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
I realize this is an older thread, but we have a screw hole in our fresh water tank -- my DH would probably appreciate if I didn't explain how it got there.

Anyway, do you think the epoxy you used would work for a hole? Did you google West Systems G/flex to order your kit?

If you or anyone else has any other ideas and/or suggestions, we'd greatly appreciate hearing all.

Thanks.

Deb

Old 05-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Where is the screw in the tank? Top, bottom, side?
Look for a product called LEXELL in the calking department of your lumber store.
Coat the screw with a heavy dose and screw it into the hole. Unless the hole splits the tank this stuff will seal it.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thank you for this information, TG Twinkie! Have you used it to seal your fresh water tank, and if so, how long ago, and I'm assuming it has held up for you? I googled it and read that you cannot use it on polyethylene or polypropylene, I don't remember which, but I thought our fresh water tanks are made from one of those.

With the other techniques, when I read that you must heat them, I was nervous at the thought of a propane torch under the trailer.

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 05-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
I just realized I didn't answer your question, I'm sorry. I'm not certain, but I got the feeling it is in the bottom. When I heard what had happened I felt sick and couldn't ask for more details.

Deb
Old 05-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
While I don't know which type of plastic my tank is I can tell you it is a milky white color.
I have used the LEXELL product on a number of things over the years, sealing around the windows on our Argosy, sealing a connection on the discharge of a grey water holding tank etc.. It has held up for years.
I swear the stuff will stick to water. LOL
Old 05-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
I realize this is an older thread, but we have a screw hole in our fresh water tank -- my DH would probably appreciate if I didn't explain how it got there.

Anyway, do you think the epoxy you used would work for a hole? Did you google West Systems G/flex to order your kit?

If you or anyone else has any other ideas and/or suggestions, we'd greatly appreciate hearing all.

Thanks.

Deb
G-Flex will patch the hole. I used the G-Flex as noted earlier in this thread, almost 2 years now and it is holding up fine. I bought the G-Flex through their website, (pretty sure) but I think now you can get it through ebay and amazon. Just buy the right formula and follow their instructions.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Bluto and thank you for responding.

When you say to buy the right formula, is the G/Flex 655-8 the right one? After reading their info, that is the one I thought it would take.

Glad to hear your fix is still holding up! Did you have to use a propane torch to set it? Was that scary, and did you have to take any safety measures?

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 05-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Yes that's the one I used. It comes in 2 tubes, you mix the same amount of each and apply to the spot. I would force it into the hole, there is plenty of time to work the g-flex as it takes a while to harden, there was no need to set it with a torch as it is a chemical bond and it bonds at room temps. Basically, it cures over night. I just made sure the area was dry and free of any dirt particles. The next day I added another coating of the stuff to the area and let that dry completely. It bonds perfectly to the tank material. My leak was on the side near the bottom of my 54gal. fresh water tank. I always travel with a full fresh water tank before and since the repair. I easily put at least 10,000 miles on the trailer since doing the patch a couple of years ago.
P.S. I think I did hit the patch area with a heat gun prior to applying the g-flex, But it's not for curing the epoxy, but I think it helps the epoxy bond easier to the tank and ensures that the area is dry. I put the epoxy on the tank and made the repair when the tank was at room temperature, not heated.