Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 07:05 PM   #1

2004 25' Classic
sedalia , Colorado
Over filling water tank

Today I was getting ready for our next trip and stuck our hose in the water fill port, turned it on and walked away. 5 minutes later the tank was overflowing--- water coming out of the fill port and the vent right beside it. Later I found a good sized puddle inside the trailer with no real evidence of where it came from. Is there anyway these two incidents are related? I really want to find the source of puddle. Thanks. Jack
cjfarmerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Depending on the design of the fill port the overflowing water may have run down the inside of the outer skin. Then out onto the floor of the coach.
Just a guess on my part.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Yes, the events could be related but it's hard to say without more information.

Was the puddle in the proximity of where the fill hose goes through the wall? The fill hose is a ribbed hose about 1-1/2 to 2" in diameter. The hose sometimes develops cracks and with pressure of overfilling I suppose it could leak. In addition, there are at least two hose clamps - one on each end of the ribbed hose - that may be loose or broken.

Another item to consider. Is it possible water came from the air conditioner? Sometimes water remains in the drip pan in the ceiling and we've had water drip from the pan and found it on the floor after lifting the tongue of the trailer to hitch-up.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I can't see how unless there leak between the fill
port and tank. Mine has a minor drip from where the hose between the port and tank is clamped. It only drips when the tank us full and water is in the fill port. I can see the clamp, but can't reach it to tighten it. No big deal. That little bit of water goes down and hits the belly pan. If the floor were 2 inched closer to the tank, it would be getting the wood wet.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Mine is an older Argosy but when I have over filled it the water runs out the bottom of the belly pan below the fill door so It is entirely possible that it could leak in, run down the wall channel and find it's way onto the floor.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
If you overfilled, I doubt the pressure would have ruptured something, so I would be looking at leakage in the fill tube somehow entering the trailer. Possible but not likely that the internal piping got over-pressured. I overfilled my '89 and did not take out the vent plug (note that there is no vent plug on newer trailers). My hose was a snug fit into the fill opening! I actually bulged the support pan under the tank and when I pulled the hose out water spouted dome 10 feet into the air. Fortunately other than an embarrassing incident, there was no damage.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Last fall I put our large garden hose with high volume at very strong pressure into the fill tube and got busy with something else. I looked back and the water was shooting around the hose and out the tube, pulled out the hose and water shot maybe 15 feet out of the tube. The tank support cover was bulged and straps looked stretched.

From then on we had a tank leak, I took it to Jackson Center where they found one of the lower fittings cracked and replaced the tank. The tank was not expensive, but the labor was.

I'm now filling our tank with much less volume making sure it is venting well and staying there to keep an eye on it. I don't normally use that big hose but wanted a quick fill, I'll use the smaller potable water hose as well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
If you overfilled, I doubt the pressure would have ruptured something
JCW
Yes you can. Ask me how I know. Make sure the hose is attached loosely to the fill tube at low pressure.

PS You can patch a blown fresh water tank seam if you are lucky.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Sorry
To clarify...l was doubting an internal water line was the source of the water.
I already had the experience of seriously over pressurizing the tank, which could raise pressure in the suction line
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Could water have been forced up a vent line that did not have tight joints?

I seem to recall a similar thing happening to me many years ago on an SOB trailer. I walked away and left the hose stuck in the fill pipe and returned to find with overflowing and lots of water inside on the floor!

Maybe also it somehow leaks in around the fill area if enough water is splashing around everywhere.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I was also told by the dealer when we did our walk through tutorial that the tank should be filled slowly because it was possible to get air trapped in the top of the tank before the tank is full. Water would still come out of the overfill, suggesting that the tank was topped, when it fact it was not completely full.

I've only experienced this situation on a pop-up camper that we previously owned when we went dry camping and ran out of water the second day.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote