Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Original Water Pressure Regulator

I want to replace the copper in my 1976 29' rear bath AS when I fix the rear separation. Before I pull everyting out I want to construct the PEX tree using a new brass water pressure regulator that matches the construction and specs of the original regulator that is housed in the rear compartment. Are there any vendors who still sell the original water pressure regulators?
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Simsbury , Connecticut
I am putting back together my 1976 26' rear bath Argosy and ran pex throughout the whole thing and I just reused the old regulator. Is something wrong with yours?
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
They are ordinary hardware store items. You can find them online too.

I'm with Gary, though. Clean the screen, if it needs it, and it should be good as new.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I would like to know the benefit of having a regulater inside the TT? I always use one at the water faucet in the RV park, also protects the hose from high pressure.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
In my opinion there are no advantages to having it inside. Unless it is in an accessible place and easily removed. I removed the one in our Argosy along with all of the line drains when I installed all new PEX. I use an external regulator and blow the lines out before winterizing. No problems in the past 2 winters.
Unless you blow out and install RV anti freeze in the regulator thru the city water inlet. It is susceptible to freezing when on the inside. When external, it's not a problem.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
I would like to know the benefit of having a regulater inside the TT? I always use one at the water faucet in the RV park, also protects the hose from high pressure.
The advantage is that if it is built in to the system you can't lose it. The small screw on regulators have a habit of walking off...

To the OP, Watts makes the regulators and you can get them at any plumbing supplier.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I've used this one before. I installed a Shurflo city water inlet with an integral regulator in my personal trailer. I also use a Camco external pressure regulator at the water hydrant. I did not install a pressure relief valve. If I had it to do over, I would use a different type of city water inlet. The Shurflo tends to drip water when the water heater heats up the water in the tank and it expands.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
We are full timing so I do not want to be out of water for more than a few days. I don't think my original post was clear. Because the pressure regulator is the original, the pop off valve was replaced last year (it is now leaking) and soldering is risky business in that area, I want to rebuild the PEX tree on a new regulator before I tear the old one out. I am having a problem finding an afirmative statement about the part number of the 1976 water pressure regulator.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Inland RV and Out of Doors Mart sell them online.
dhtullos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
You can also find these pressure reducing valves at Lowes, Home Depot, or any plumbing supply store. Watts is the brand name I have used.
This is a link to the part at Out of Doors Mart Search Results : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!