Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Excella
Edinburg , Texas
On board water system problem

I have a 2001 34' Excell & am getting it ready for travel. The on board water system will not pump from the tank. The water pump is new and works fine. I used it to winterize this fall and it pumped from the RV antifreeze bottles & built pressure and sut off just as one would expect.

The water tank is full. Any ideas as to my next step?

Thanks

Jim
jbailey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Is there a valve for the winterization? Is is set for the tank? Check the filter from the tank if you have one. Do not let the pump run for too long dry. It will break up the impeller.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I had a non-descript brass anti-back flow check valve a couple of feet upstream of my pump that bound up after sitting for a long time. A few sharp shocks via smacking it with a long screwdriver handle cleared it. It was just a brass fitting clamped in to a cut in the supply line from the tank.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Michelle may have hit upon it - if the pump worked when you were pulling from the antifreeze bottle, you may have forgotten to turn the valve back to normal flow position. Good luck.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
As others have said, you may have the three way valve just ahead of the pump set to draw from an antifreeze bottle instead of from your fresh water tank.

Assuming you do have it set properly, here is another tip that may help - I used to have to do this with my last RV that would have difficulty priming the pump from the fresh water tank in Spring.

If it wouldn't prime, I would draw water from a one gallon container using the antifreeze input hose, and while pumping, quickly flip the valve over to draw from the fresh water tank. It always seemed to work for me.

Just a suggestion!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Excella
Edinburg , Texas
Thanks for the ideas everyone!!

I don't have a valve for winterization! The winter of 2009-10 will be the last time this Airstream is EVER COLD again!!! We are in the process of completing a move to the Rio Grande Valley TX and the Aairstream should be in TX, before the end of Oct.

I think my back flow valve is at the city water inlet after the pressure regulator. I have a new Shure Flow unit that I plan to use to replace the existing water inlets' pressure regulator that only allows a weak stream of water from the campground water supply (that is at 70lbs pressure). Perhaps this will solve my problem?

Thank again for ideas.

Jim Bailey
jbailey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
make Wally proud

1951 15' Cruisette
1948 19' Trailwind
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Breckenridge , Texas
My pump is pumping but there isn't any water coming out of the faucets? What could be the reason? I have water in the tank too.
51cruisette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51cruisette View Post
My pump is pumping but there isn't any water coming out of the faucets? What could be the reason? I have water in the tank too.
Believe it or not the most common problem like this, is sand and junk that is plugging the screens at the faucets. Unscrew all of the screens and see if there is a bunch of junk on them. This happens because most campgrounds and perhaps your home has well water. You should also pull the drain plug in the water heater and flush it out becuase the same junk will be in the bottom of that too. Let us know if that is it.
on edit: I am assuming that the water heater is full of water first.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote