Old 06-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I had an intake hose on one of my various trailers which would leak air into it under suction but would not leak water out. It would not prime worth a damn. Once I replaced that hose, all was great. Also, if your system has an intake filter on the suction hose, they are commonly leak points. The filter case cracks, or a seal leaks and all you do is to suck air, not water, into the pump and it will not prime.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Your test indicates an air leak in the siphon tube from the fresh water tank or no water in the tank.

Some trailers have a filter between the fresh water tank and the pump. If during winterizing the antifreeze is not introduced before that filter water will remain in the filter and freeze thus cracking the filter. Look for that first.

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Ok to replace a Shurflo 4 gpm pump with a 3 gpm?

How did you dewinterize your trailer.
Did you:

1. Close fresh water drain in the trailers wheel well?

2. Close hot and cold water drain peacocks?

3.Switch valves for water heater by pass to use position?

When you are hooked to city water do you have good pressure in all faucets?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Think I found the problem...

The cap on the strainer before the pump inlet is cracked... Not sure how that happened...but removed it, covered base with my hand, and pump picked up prime. $10 fix! Was apparently sucking air thru crack.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
It's always the obvious...Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Works fine now.... was indeed broken cap on strainer.

Moflash, to answer your questions, I cannot remember what I did, when winterizing, other than drain the tanks, turn on pump, and vent the water out of the lines. I have plenty of pressure when hooked to city water.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
If the pump primes from a bucket, it could be the pump is worn enough that it will not lift water from the tank. To prove this you will need to put the bucket outside and run a longer hose...pain...I know!

You could also try priming the pump from the tank with the discharge open; that usually gives the pump a chance to establish full flow.

Everything points to weak pump or something open and leaking in the lift tube from the tank.

The pump can run dry but as the diaphragms ran for an extended length of time they may have over heated and developed a small crack in one of the three diaphragms which reduces the ability of the pump to develop enough suction lift from the tank

I also repaired an old pump that was touchy about priming. The kit was less than a new pump and quite easy to install. Worked like a charm after that!
JCW
Old 06-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post

I also repaired an old pump that was touchy about priming. The kit was less than a new pump and quite easy to install. Worked like a charm after that!
JCW
I am being cute now: "Worked like a charm after that!" I have never had good results from charms, so I am assuming you are saying it didn't work after the repair? LOL, Grin, and so on. (bows head in shame, but still giggling).
Old 06-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have replaced old style piston type pump that was in 1976 AS with new type pump, and went bad replaced again, lot's better than repair plus about same cost considering maybe didn't fix original problems, so new is better. Pumps are not expensive, plus some model AS need upgrade for pump as AS is not known to install higher pump, or better pump. As for draining water tank AS did NOT INSTALL DRAIN VALVE IN FRESH WATER TANK.... in 1976 AS 31 footers Same as today use cheapest availble components. Ps I camped with Holiday Rambler some yrs. ago same grouch about things I had . This only trailer I have owned with out drain in fresh water tank including slide in truck campers.