Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Nylon braided water hose??

I see all the time the question "Copper or PEX?" Why could you not just re-plumb using the "clear nylon braided hose" rated for drinking water that's good up to 70psi with hose clamps?? I would think this hose would withstand freezing/hot/cold better than about anything. As for leaking, a good hose and clamp will last for years under the worst conditions. You can get about any kind of fitting for the end of it and fish the hose up/down and all around. It fact, it's what most homes use in plumbing to hookup ice-makers, washer, dishwasher, sink, toliet, etc.... We'll what ya think? GOOD/BAD/FAIR??
Old 01-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
I'll take PEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
I see all the time the question "Copper or PEX?" Why could you not just re-plumb using the "clear nylon braided hose" rated for drinking water that's good up to 70psi with hose clamps?? I would think this hose would withstand freezing/hot/cold better than about anything. As for leaking, a good hose and clamp will last for years under the worst conditions. You can get about any kind of fitting for the end of it and fish the hose up/down and all around. It fact, it's what most homes use in plumbing to hookup ice-makers, washer, dishwasher, sink, toliet, etc.... We'll what ya think? GOOD/BAD/FAIR??
I agree that "clear nylon braided hose" would work. However is it rated to last as long as Copper or PEX. Copper will last for 50 years if it does not freeze or the water has a good mineral and Ph balance. PEX has been in service in water systems for 30+ years and is not attacked by minerals or Ph balance. Nylon from what I understand is subject to age hardening and it holds some minerals on its interior surface. I don't know if it is considered a true long term plumbing material. Fast and easy, but I don't know about how it will last.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The clear braded hoses are made from flexible PVC (polyvinyl Chloride). It is a fairly good material and will likely last 15 to 25 years but eventually loses its plasitiser and gets hard. The hoses that have stainless steel brading also use PVC on the inside. PVC will likely last longer than many Rubber hoses.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:14 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Clear braided hose

I have used this clear braided hose in several places for repairs as well as new lines. I always use two hose clamps at each joint for extra measure. After several years everything is working well.
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote