Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
It Can Happen

Although this experience did not happen to my ASCL, it is applicable to over pressuring any bulk tank as just a small psi increase on bulk tanks puts tremendous strain on them. When I worked for Texaco, pressure testing 12,000 gallon bulk storage tanks for leaks was done with a maximum of 5 psi, as any more risk splitting the tank.

My son was driving our “back-up” 1993 Buick LeSabre on a trip last November. He stopped for fuel and because it was cold and windy he put the nozzle in the tank and got back in the vehicle. The automatic nozzle shutoff failed. He became aware of the failure when he looked in the mirror and noticed fuel spraying around the nozzle from the filler pipe. He quickly got out and shut off the nozzle (estimated 3 to 4 gallons lost) and was reimbursed for the fuel loss by the station attendant.

He didn’t think much of the incident until a week-or-so later as I passed the Buick in the driveway I noticed the smell of fuel. I mentioned it to him and he told me of the incident and surmised that some of the fuel was still caught in the vehicle body and evaporating. A couple of days later the smell increased so I investigated and found a 1 inch long hair-line “tear” in the tank bottom literally above the exhaust pipe with fuel dripping on the pipe. The over pressure of the fuel not being able to escape had split the tank bottom.

Had to R&R the tank with a salvage one costing $75 and our free labor.

withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Bob.. Im sorry you are going through this right now. What a pain in the butt. I wish I was closer and could help you with that project. It doesnt sound fun but we could get it done twice as fast.

Whats up with all the trash in there? Do the guys purposely throw that stuff down there and laugh about it?

Hi, Vinnie. Watch what you wish for, I should be close to your house tomorrow. Leaving in the morning right after the street sweeper goes by.

Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Bob, sounds like you've done a pretty fast job considering you've never done this before. How was getting the belly pan off like? Did the propane lines get in the way? I hope to never go through something like you have. Kudos for the courage to attack this monster.

Hi, Gene. I'm still getting ready and can't waste time. Fortunately all three tanks have there own black casket and the only aluminum belly pan runs from the back of the fresh water tank to the rear bumper. I didn't have to deal with any propane lines. Would have been nice [nicer] if I could have raised my trailer another six inches, but we don't want it too high when the time comes for us to have island property.

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
They just don't CARE!

Sorry you had to go thru the the experience. I can remember a few times in my fix'n life where EVERYTHING seemed to go rong!
I'm sure glad I had an intervention before attempting the repair on my minor vent line leak at the tank connection. I could just barely get one hand on the connection and could tell it wasn't crimped properly, not likely to separate, just LEAK.

Hope the whole thing didn't interfere with any AS plans.

Keep us posted...
Hi, Bob. I think that they don't care where all the trimming and trash goes because most people will never see it. Maybe Karma for those at the Airstream factory, will be a trashed new car or truck that is very close to being a lemon, but not quite qualify. And before they complain about the sloppy workmanship. [as my Mom used to say] "Maybe you [them] should try looking in a mirror." And as other's have said, [might get moderated] we're going, Hell or high water!

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote