Old 07-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Here's a link to the fresh water fill gizmo we got at Camping World to attach the hose to the fill port. You can probably make your own if you visit a hardware store and build it... Secure-Fill - Item - Camping World
I like it a lot because I don't have to stand there and hold the hose...can do other things while it's filling (just don't forget about it!)...there is a shut-off valve on it, too.
TBRich....I'd be real careful filling your fresh water tank with the "fill gizmo." You're using a 1/2" to 5/8" diameter water hose supplying water at approximately 80 psi to fill the tank. When the tank is full and you do not shut off the supply, the water coming into the tank at 80 psi will then pressurize the tank as the small overfill tube will not be able to relieve the pressure fast enough to prevent damage to your water tank.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Good point....I actually do stand there and wait for it to begin overflowing and turn the water off immediately, as there is a shut-off valve on it... Thanks.

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #17
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Fill Switch on the Control Panel?

When I am connected to city water I simply flip the switch for the fresh water fill on the control panel. Am I the only one who uses this feature? Maybe all Airstreams don't have this switch.

Anyway, you have to keep track of the filling process manually on our trailer. The fill valve simply allows water to enter the fresh water tank from the city supply. No expanding tanks, bulging floors or other problems. However, when the fresh tank is full, water simply runs out the opening concealed by the lockable door on the side of the trailer. It's embarrasing to come back to your trailer with water running down the side of the skin. Now I turn on a timer to remind me to shut off the fresh water fill.

I filled the fresh tank a time or two from the outside and found that to be a pain. Although sometimes it's necessary.

As far as a bypass valve... I think that feature is automatic - probably a built-in check valve or something. When using the on-board pump the water is drawn from the fresh tank and the check valve keeps it from pumping out the city water hookup and vice-versa.

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #18
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
I posted the original question a while back. I've come a long way since then, yet, just a few days ago I stuffed the hose in there and wasn't there when the tank filled. I was prepping for departure and heard some popping sounds that seemed new. Thought. More popping. Looked around. Water spewing out but didn't knock the hose out. I pulled the hose out and a fountain of water came out - maybe shooting 3 feet - for a while, as the over pressurized tank contracted to its normal size. Yikes! Doesn't seem to have damaged anything though.

I of course had read the warnings above about this exact scenario. However, having actually experienced it will probably make it stick in my head a lot better.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

OOPS, very sloooow, I use an inline filter which slows things down a bit and just dribble it in. Glad it wasn't serious, live'n learn.

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #20
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
... just a few days ago I stuffed the hose in there and wasn't there when the tank filled. I was prepping for departure and heard some popping sounds that seemed new. Thought. More popping. Looked around. Water spewing out but didn't knock the hose out. I pulled the hose out and a fountain of water came out - maybe shooting 3 feet - for a while, as the over pressurized tank contracted to its normal size. Yikes! Doesn't seem to have damaged anything though.
Actually, it may have done more damage than I thought. The other day I was on my back looking around underneath and trying to see where I might run a cable for a backup camera. That's when I saw the reality.

The fresh tank expanded enough to permanently bend the sheet metal that encases it. At first I thought it might look different from the underneath of the grey and black tank areas for some manufacturing reason, then I remembered the popping metallic sounds. It surely seems bent from the event.

The question is - is it a problem?

It hangs a small bit lower now, I guess reducing the clearance, but that doesn't really concern me. But there's a definite bent place at one of the seems which could create an insulation issue in freezing conditions. I should take a picture when daylight returns and post it. I have no idea what things look like inside that sheet metal so I don't really know if it's a problem or not.

Anybody here know?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Along this water thread, in my 1966 Tradewind my manual says there is a screen to clean in the water pump. I looked all around for it and the picture in the manual is really fuzzy (maybe it needs to be cleaned) so it is no help at all. Where is it? How often should I clean it?

Carol
Aquaidiot Manager
Old 10-07-2009, 05:55 AM   #22

2007 25' International CCD
easley , South Carolina
I left my airstream hooked up to city water and the grey valve closed.Am I in big trouble?
Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsherburne View Post
I left my airstream hooked up to city water and the grey valve closed.Am I in big trouble?
As long as you haven't left your taps on and haven't left the campsite, you should be in great shape!

Seriously - you should really keep your grey and black valves closed at all times. Unless of course you need to empty them - then you open the black, wait for it to empty and then next open the grey, keeping the black open.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
And for those who are new to this and are purchasing all their new little toys, don't forget to buy a water thief. I found that one out from experience - when you're trying to fill 39 gallons of fresh water from an unthreaded tap, you're going to really need this.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana
YES! YES! I knew if I kept watching someone would have the same question I did!! Now how do you run the lights etc. off the battery?? Newbie here!!
Old 10-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana
When I put the hose in the fresh water hole, I just keep an eye on the gauge in the bathroom then shut it off when it is about 80%.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
That original thread was from 2009, the info is still pertinent.