Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
No water pressure

I filled the water tank, turned on the pump it was going like crazy but no water no leaks?

Also how do I hook up to a water hose? All I see is the water fill which goes to the tank???

No place to screw on a hose?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Bob, most likely, if the pump is running, and you see no water at the spiket, the water heater is empty and filling up; maybe the water heater drain plug is out; does it have a valve at the water pump for winterizing, and it was left turned the wrong way? I have seen pumps go completely bad (pumps zero) but it is rare. Oh, and the tube into your tank may have a split in it thereby defeating the draw from the tank.
As for the water hookup, your odel should have a hookup back at the back bumper, unless my memory is failing. There is a house style pressure regulator inside the rear access hatch, open that and then follow the piping to the inlet. The fresh water tank should have a filler door with a lock on it to prevent tampering. Hope this helps and that my memory has not caused me to give eroneous info.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Bob,

I assume that after you've checked all of the previous suggestions, you've opened your water taps to check for an air lock. I've had the same thing happen after my tank ran dry and upon refilling needed merely to open the spigots to let the trapped air out. The water soon followed. Maybe it will work for you as well. Hope you solve your problem. Happy Trails.

Dick
Old 09-07-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Try cleaning the faucet screens. Those commonly plug up with sediment.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I just checked the valve in the head was closed, but more importantly there is a small prepump filter it is bone dry.

So I guess I need to check the pump or tank connection.

I reached down to check the tank hose connection but can't get in there hardly???????

Old 09-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
I'm assuming that you have water running out of the fill door on the side of the trailer that indicates that the water tank has been filled full, and no water has come out under the trailer (an indication that the water tank has been allowed to freeze and crack).

Running street water will eliminate a lot of potential causes, or introduce a second problem that causes us to start again with the elimination of causes on the water pump.

If you run the street water, make sure the water pump is off. Check your owner's manual for any additional tasks related to your specific trailer.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #7
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
I filled the water tank, turned on the pump it was going like crazy but no water...
My pump had dried out and I simply needed to take apart the bottom section and free up the bellows. I then oiled the rubber with a very light coating of Vaseline.

Best of luck,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I can't test the street water!

It was ripped out by the PO?

All I see a pipe dropping out og the belly pan in front of the tire going nowhere.

I guess I should just install thru the outside wall and going under the sink a connection flange and pressure regulator.

Any suggestions on the hose connection flange?

Old 09-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Hmmm. I haven't looked closely at a '77, but the three early '70's trailers in my family all have streetwater connections attached to the back bumper on the "street side" (the non-door side). The streetwater is connected just forward of the sewer drain on the bumper.

I can't say what the pipe is that you are looking at. I would be surprized to hear your streetwater is supposed to run up through the belly pan.

I don't think we are to the point where we want to run a new streetwater connection yet.

It would be better to attempt sfixx's recommendation on the pump, or invest in a new water pump to eliminate that as an issue. Another place to check is the screen filter that sits between the water tank and the pump. In my experience if this filter is not airtight then the pump can not draw water. I am a bit concerned that you say it is bone dry. My usually had some splatter in it, but would not fill completely and thus the pump could not build enough pressure.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 09-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I had the 2 housing sections for the pump unscrew enough to pull air instead of water...simple matter to twist to tighten.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #11
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Ok, figured it out the inline filter was sucking air, put a small connector in and it starting pumping---------------all over the floor the pipes had 4 or holes in as many places.

I was replacing it all anyway.

Then I hooked up a hose to discharge the water outside, empty the tank water looked clean.

Should I treat the tank with something to make it nice and clean.

I started looking at some of the hoses after I pulled out the kitchen cabinets, the PO used auto heater hose that water must have tasted great.

I have no street water pipes but found out where they were cut, I need to add a outside connection a pressure regulator and I guess a valve.

Any recomendations and or pic's

Bob

Old 09-20-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Several threads on annual water tank cleansing with bleach/water or other cleaner.

Try the thread called "re-plumbing issues" for some pictures of part of the street water connector.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Mark,
We haven't heard from you for a while. Did you get you water problem fixed yet? If so how do you like working with PEX? I don't know if you heard but we sold the Tradewind. I'm now concentrating on the GT. I also heard a rumor that we could maybe be neighbors. Hope all is going well for you and Kimber. Brad
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Water problems have been fixed in the curbside bath to mid-rear of the trailer. I did not go clear to the streetwater, nor over behind the toilet to the water heater. I decided to hold off until the bathroom is pulled out for coating.

I found working with PEX to be fairly easy. As others have stated, the hard part is getting the copper out of the trailer if you haven't pulled things apart. I did not use the crimp rings. I used a couple of different connection types. Some from Home Depot (screw on) and some from Fleet Farm (slide in).

I replaced the bathroom faucet as a part of the job. I plan to replace the kitchen faucet this winter, but won't need to use PEX for that job.

The job of coating the bathroom, might end up being coordinated with other family trailers. We'll see.

I'll PM you about being neighbors.

I did hear that you sold the tradewind. I was sad to hear that, but I'm sure it was a good deal for you to cut back from having 3 trailers in your stable.