Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Rogers , Arkansas
No water flow after hooking to city water

I'm pulling my hair out! I'm new to airstreams but not travel trailers. The person I bought this 1974 Sovereign 31 from had no clue how to turn anything on or even how the trailer operated. I hooked up the city connection and water leaked out the bottom. I found two valves under the stove and one under the bathroom sink. I turned those off and now no leaks but still no water. Am I missing a valve? I don't know what to do next so any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevers911 View Post
I'm pulling my hair out! I'm new to airstreams but not travel trailers. The person I bought this 1974 Sovereign 31 from had no clue how to turn anything on or even how the trailer operated. I hooked up the city connection and water leaked out the bottom. I found two valves under the stove and one under the bathroom sink. I turned those off and now no leaks but still no water. Am I missing a valve? I don't know what to do next so any info would be helpful. Thanks!
There is a brass water check valve in the rear compartment.

If it's locked up, city water will not be able to enter the coach.

They sometimes lock up when not used for a long time.

Andy 14.3

Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I think the valves you turned off under the stove are the system drains, and since you had water running out of those, there's probably nothing wrong with your check valve.

However, I don't know about the valve you say you turned off under the bathroom sink, but it might be one of the bypass valves for the water heater, and that one being off might be your problem. Turn it back on and see if you have water then.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
After thinking about this for a while, are there possibly three valves under the sink?

If so, and they are all off, this is most likely your problem, and the trailer had been winterized before you got it. If so, leave the valve you closed under the bathroom sink closed, and open the other two valves under the bathroom sink, and all should be good.

Again, IF there are three valves under there.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Rogers , Arkansas
Ok after fixing a few things on the hot water tank and cleaning the screens in the faucets I now have water except for the cold water in the kitchen area. WOO HOO! The valve under the sink in the bathroom is to the toilet. New problem Ive encountered is water pours out from under the camper. Does anyone have a plumbing diagram? How do I get the pipes under the floor without removing the floor?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Ok after fixing a few things on the hot water tank and cleaning the screens in the faucets I now have water except for the cold water in the kitchen area. WOO HOO! The valve under the sink in the bathroom is to the toilet. New problem Ive encountered is water pours out from under the camper. Does anyone have a plumbing diagram? How do I get the pipes under the floor without removing the floor?
No way to be sure from here, but if you have water pouring out from under the camper, you probably either have a serious leak, or one of the system drain valves open.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
My 73 and/or my 78 had low point drain valves that were accessible, under the kitchen sink and another near the rear bath (if I remember correctly there were three in each). They were below floor level but I could see them using a flashlight shining into the floor cutouts. Hard to reach, but doable. Look beneath the kitchen sink, the lavatory sink, and inside the rear storage area.
That was a long time ago! Hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Rogers , Arkansas
I need some instruction on how to remove the water tank belly pan
Old 06-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Water coming from under the trailer when connected to city water is often caused by a bad 12 volt water pump with a faulty back flow preventer. If the check valve is not sealing tight, the city water fills the fresh water storage tank and eventually runs it over. My pump was good but I installed a shut off valve to isolate the pump from the trailer plumbing when connected to city water as well as a valve to isolate the city water connection while using the storage tank and the 12 volt pump.

I'd wait to tear too much up until I tested everything and until I understand everything. Often what looks like a HUGE problem just requires a simple fix like replacing the water pump (or installing one valve).

I ended up buying the factory service manual from Airstream and it answered all my questions, eliminated a few delusions, and provided objective information. I got a lot of good advise from the forum, but a lot was useless and some was just wrong. I'd just say go slow.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote