Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
No key to water door. What next?

I ordered a key from Inlandrv for the door to the fresh water fill, but it does not fit. What now? Anybody removed the lock from inside? I prefer not to take the whole trailer to a locksmith, or call them out for one lock. Can I get to it from inside? Maybe cut a hole in the inner skin?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If it's a cam lock, quite a few of those can be opened with a screwdriver. I'd just call the locksmith.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
It's a very simple lock, which turns a pawl which drops behind the edge of the door frame. Before you try drilling anything from the inside, which would just make a mess of it, 1- try inserting a screwdriver in the lock and twisting it, as Splitrock suggested. You may be able to distort the lock and door enough to pop it. Then, you may be able to remove the pawl off the back of the lock assembly, and leave it that way until you get a new lock. 2- You could try prying the door open, but it won't take much to crack it, so be gentle. 3- I'd drill out the lock before making holes in the metal. That would save you the cost of the locksmith.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The key number for the water door on my '74 Argosy is 87. If that helps any. I have 2 keys, they both have 87 on them. I believe they are the original keys.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I thought they were all the same key... or are they just such a crappy lock that any key opens them?
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I agree that you should be able to get it open by jimmying the lock a bit and hopefully without damaging anything. I know yours is a '75 and may have a different lock and set-up, but on newer Airstreams they ALL have the same lock and the same key, #CH751...And the doors are fairly flexible plastic (not sure yours is) which is easy to unlock even without a key.

Good luck!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If it's a bolt and nut barrel cam lock, a screwdriver will open it. No key needed in an emergency. Get it open and replace the lock or just take it to a locksmith and pay the price of a new lock to get a key made.

If it's a locked back barrel it won't open with a screwdriver. If it's like mine the lock is on the skin, not on the door. To unlock, turn the lock 1/4 turn to the left. Mine is a threaded barrel cam held on with a rear access nut. I looks to be really hard to get at through the water door.

If it were mine, I'd call the locksmith. I don't want to mess up my lock or water door. If you drill it out, (if it's like mine) you'll still have to have back access to remove it to replace. If that's your plan, why not just get the back access first and remove the lock without drilling it?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
I've had two RVs by different manufacturers and both used the same key (#751) for that door as well as the outside shower. I'd just take a walk around an RV park and ask to borrow a #751 key. I bet you'll find one pretty quick.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Go to a rally and find another Airstreamer with a key that fits, then get a copy made!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Thank you for all the ideas. I tried the screwdriver, no go. I have several keys from vintage rv's no go. The lock is in a panel with rivets, so I can not drill and remove. I am thinking of opening up the interior, and get to the lock that way. Will that work?
No, I will not drill it out, I want to retain the original lock if possible.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
On my '75 Argosy 24, the key is a double-sided key, and I bought mine from Out Of Doors Mart.

Water Fill Key WF-01 - $6.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Its good that you didn't use a lot of force with a screwdriver. This method can open the panel, but it will also damage the weakest link. In many cases that is the door or panel: relatively thin material and you will distort or ruin the D-shaped mounting hole. If you want to retain the lock and the trailer, then a locksmith is the way to go (speaking as a former locksmith.) The lowest cost is to bring the trailer to a shop, ask them to either make a code key if there is a number on the lock, or they can "impression" a new key. My former organization linked to Havenslock.com in Fresno.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
On my '75 Argosy 24, the key is a double-sided key, and I bought mine from Out Of Doors Mart.

Water Fill Key WF-01 - $6.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
Thank you. I have one ordered.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The key to the water door in my rig is single sided. Never could figure out why all the lock cylinders are different or most anyway. I guess it's cheaper to buy random lots of lock cylinders than sets of 6 or so.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Mine is double-sided, too- got it from Oasis RV in Tucson.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The key to the water door in my rig is single sided. Never could figure out why all the lock cylinders are different or most anyway. I guess it's cheaper to buy random lots of lock cylinders than sets of 6 or so.
I've wondered sometimes if they used the Argosy line to run through old stock from the Airstream line. If I remember correctly, the double-sided "G248" key on my Argosy water fill is on the Airstream spreadsheet for early 70s trailers and ended in '74, but it's used on my '75 Argosy and apparently not on your '74.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post

I got it, and it works. Thanks again to all the help.