Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Newbie with Water Question

We just purchased a 1974 International Overlander with Double Bed. It is in very good condition for its age and thanks to all of the wonderful help from the forum we feel like we have made a sound and knowledgeable purchase.

We brought the trailer home and attached the city water to it. Tested the kitchen and bathroom sinks...both work. Went back outside and noticed a steady stream of water coming from a drain hose at the back end. Also, the fresh water tank shows that it is not full.

We are not sure if there is a valve we should be turning or if there is something else we need to do. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Neil and Shelly
snshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Neil and Shelly When you say drain hose what size would it be half inch or three inches. If it a small line like a water pipe the a drain valve is open. It will be located directly above the spot where the water is coming out. Usually under some furniture. If it is draining out from the 3 inch waste outlet the valves there are open and the handles to close them are located outside next to the outlet. There will be 2 small Tee handles push them in to close the valves. The fresh water tank fills from a seperate outlet usually located on the curb side of the trailer just to the rear of the entry door. There is a small lockable door which when open doubles as a fill spout.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Congradulations on your purchase. I don't know where the water tank is on your trailer. The drain line leaking water could be the drain line for the water tank. You will need to follow the line draining water and see where it is coming from.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The first time I put pressure on my system, water came out a drain hose way at the rear. It turned out the pop off valve was stuck open, most likely due to the previous owner using shop air pressure to blow out the lines. I removed it and set the plunger back in it's seat and it held right away and is still okay.

I also had water running on the ground under the kitchen sink, Turns out there's a winter drain there that was left in the open position. After I fixed the pop off valve and shut the drain line valve, my system held water and the trailer is doing well too.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Can

Thanks Splitrock,
We checked the pop of valve on in the exterior access panel to the water heater and water comes out if the valve when I open it, but it doesn't seem to make a difference to the flow from the hose at the rear.

Here are pics of what I am seeing. I have tried turning the red handled valves, this does stop the flow, but then water runs out of the hose on the left instead. It would seem a valve is open somewhere, but I havent been able to find it. Any other suggestions anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak1.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	109885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak2.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	109886  

Old 08-31-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
It looks like these would be for winterizing your lines. On my '71, in addition to the valves going to the hot water tank (located in the bathroom access), I have another two valves used to drain the lines for the winter, and are located right around the area where my black tank release is along with my battery. Do you happen to have another two located in this area?

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
I should have labled it, but the picture above with the valves is located just to the left of the black tank release valve above the rear bumper.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
S/B two shut offs in your pic for the rear hot/cold lines. Two under the galley sink for the hot/cold lines also. The galley should drain out under the galley area.

Not sure on 74 if your fresh water tank drain is under the trailer - look for an access panel.....or a third valve under the sink like a 71.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
The first time I put pressure on my system, water came out a drain hose way at the rear. It turned out the pop off valve was stuck open, most likely due to the previous owner using shop air pressure to blow out the lines. I removed it and set the plunger back in it's seat and it held right away and is still okay.

I also had water running on the ground under the kitchen sink, Turns out there's a winter drain there that was left in the open position. After I fixed the pop off valve and shut the drain line valve, my system held water and the trailer is doing well too.

The pop off I'm referring to on my trailer is not on the water heater, it at the area of the city water intake. The large fixture in my picture is the city water pressure regulator. The red hand valve is the winterizing drain valve. The pop off valve is not very big. I marked it in the picture. It's "L" shaped and is the center item of the three. That's the valve in my system that was stuck wide open due to over opening and lifting the plunger out of it's seat. There's a small ledge above the seat for the valve body to hang up on. I'd advise you to locate this valve and verify that it's closed properly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	POP OFF VALVE (Small).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	109931

Hope this helps.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It looks like a drain valve to me. If you turn the handle clockwise it should shut the flow off. Turn the handle counterclockwise then go out and check the flow. Then turn it clockwise to see if the flow changed any, if it did slow down. Then you might get away with replacing the washer. You can do that by first turning the handle counterclockwise a few turns then unscrew the nut just below the handle. It will rotate counterclockwise to remove. The seal or washer is attached with a screw. Remove the screw and old washer, intall the new washer and screw. Reassemble the stem into the valve body and give that a try.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
SNSHOT
Hope I got it rite. You mentioned your fresh water tank still shows empty. You have to fill the fresh water at another point, it does not fill when hookup to city water. That is if it hasn't be changed. A check valve at or in the 12volt electric water pump prevents water from filling it,otherwise it would fill and over-flow everytime you hooked up to city water.
Close both those red handled valve and see what happens. GOOD LUCK and Welcome to the Forums.
PLEASE REMEMBER The only stupid Questions are the ONES YOU DONT ASK.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1977 21' Globetrotter
Davis , California
Over pressured system draining

here's a late reply....

I connected my trailer via the 'city supply' to a high pressure water system (i.e. 75 PSI) while on a trip. Water blew out the bottom drain line as you describe. What's your water pressure?

My solution was to purchase a 25PSI water pressure regulator for a drip irrigation system (screws on supply hose) , and it seemed to have solved the problem on a recent trip where I encountered high pressure.

Hope that helps
flyflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflinger View Post
here's a late reply....

I connected my trailer via the 'city supply' to a high pressure water system (i.e. 75 PSI) while on a trip. Water blew out the bottom drain line as you describe. What's your water pressure?

My solution was to purchase a 25PSI water pressure regulator for a drip irrigation system (screws on supply hose) , and it seemed to have solved the problem on a recent trip where I encountered high pressure.

Hope that helps
We always have an inline pressure regulator on our hose -- you can get the really cheap ones (at walmart, camping world, etc) that are set to 45 to 50 psi or whatever, or a little better inline one that allows you to adjust the pressure (you can get these online or at camping world). Either way, we never connect without one.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote