Old 07-10-2019, 10:55 PM   #1

1990 36' Land Yacht
Vancouver , British Columbia
Question Newbie question - broken plastic freshwater fill hose ?

Hello! I am brand new to the forums and also owning a 1990 36í land yacht motorhome - my first RV ever. Overall it seems to be in really great shape but itís been winterized since last summer and I just noticed these brittle and broken plastic hose pieces when investigating under the queen bed where the fresh water tank is (currently empty).

I know nothing about plumbing so wondering if this is something I can repair easily by just replacing the exposed broken piece and reconnecting with something new, or do I need to somehow get access to the full length of the hose which continues on behind the bedside cabinet.

Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BDCAF15A-B8D2-4375-BEFD-150DB80E539F.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	346132   Click image for larger version

Name:	61DDF3C8-8CE7-4324-AACE-6FEE54BB5532.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	346133  

Click image for larger version

Name:	A5B63711-737F-4BCB-AC14-848263F987E8.jpg
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	346134   Click image for larger version

Name:	6680C686-5FEA-4875-98B0-7EA71219AE6D.jpg
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	346135  

Slmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
welcome to the forums! looks like the fill hose for your fresh-water tank.is there a fill-spout outside where the hose goes? you should be able to fix your hose. good luck. kurt

ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:12 AM   #3

1990 36' Land Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6gkv View Post
welcome to the forums! looks like the fill hose for your fresh-water tank.is there a fill-spout outside where the hose goes? you should be able to fix your hose. good luck. kurt
yes there is! Just nearby, outside on the back passenger side corner.

A large portion of the hose seems inaccessible however, so wondering if it’s realistic to find something similar and just clamp it together somehow or better to get in behind the beside dresser/wall and replace in one piece somehow.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I am not sure, but you might be able to get to the top end of the fill hose by removing the water fill box from the outside of your RV. Install it there, then just thread it down to the water tank. Probably quite a bit harder than it sounds, but with a high quality replacement it is one and done.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Ditto what Foiled Again says. If that hose was brittle enough to break in one place, its brittle enough to break in others. Additionally, those spiral hoses can be difficult to make a repair splice on. Obviously the tank end is accessible. If the outside end can be exposed the replace the whole thing. You shouldn't have to worry about it for... oh... 2019-1990=29... ah... about 29 years!
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Cary , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Ditto what Foiled Again says. If that hose was brittle enough to break in one place, its brittle enough to break in others. Additionally, those spiral hoses can be difficult to make a repair splice on. Obviously the tank end is accessible. If the outside end can be exposed the replace the whole thing. You shouldn't have to worry about it for... oh... 2019-1990=29... ah... about 29 years!
Replace the whole hose. I would use a hose that is solid not what is there.
alreardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
The water fill outlet is a pretty simple job - take out a couple of screws - use a plastic razor blade to cut through the sealant that will be around the fill door flange. As the hose is broken it should just pull out.

The hose is reasonable and comes in white with green stripes for fresh water fill hosing.

Suggest you get a few of those new hose clamps and make sure you tighten them nice and tight but not over tight that it cuts into the hose.

pic up a tube of Dicor, tempro or something similar - do not use regular silicon - to seal up the screw holes and around the mounting flange of the fill compartment.

Then inside run it through the path that is already there and clamp her up and you will be good to go. Test it before you close everything up to make sure there are no leaks.

Good Luck

Tools for the job - Phillips screw driver, plastic blade, sealant and most likely flat head for the clamps - although I use the hex bits - much easier. I have too many scars from raming the flat screwdriver into my hand that is holding the clamp LOL
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:49 PM   #8

1990 36' Land Yacht
Wow! This site and forums are so great! Thanks for all the helpful and practical tips.

I feel like Iím ready to give this a shot. Just need to check the diameter and order the new hose. Will be sure to post a pic when Iím done. Thanks again!!
Old 07-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slmurdoch View Post
Wow! This site and forums are so great! Thanks for all the helpful and practical tips.

I feel like Iím ready to give this a shot. Just need to check the diameter and order the new hose. Will be sure to post a pic when Iím done. Thanks again!!
Ah, newbie! How quickly you'll grow into an Airstream Sensei. Be wearing a black belt (for tools) in six months.

Namaste