Old 11-23-2002, 05:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Question New to this and can't get any water!

Well, we're starting to get a little discouraged. We're so new to this and can't get anything going. Please help us!!!
We filled up our water tank and turned on the faucets... nothing happened. We turned on the water pump and still no water. What are we doing wrong? Thanks.

Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Water shortage

Hook a hose to the city water input and turn it on. Do you get water now? If so, then things are kosher on the output side of the pump.

Did you hear the water pump run when you turned it on?

With the faucets closed, it should run for maybe 20-30 seconds, then shut itself off when the pressure reaches the limit.

If you didn't hear it run make sure it has 12v available. Is the battery charged and attached? Do other things like lights work? Check the fuses. If the fuses look OK, check with a meter for power at the pump.

If the pump has power and doesn't run, you have a bad pump. If there is no power at the pump, start tracing back to find the problem.

If the pump runs and never stops, it may not be getting water to the input or it may be a bad pump.

If the pump runs and stops and still no water at the faucets, there is a stoppage somewhere after the pump.

There is a filter on the input to the pump that may be clogged.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 05:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Thanks for your replay.
We filled up the water tanks and they are full.
We are hooked up electrically but have no battery, all lights work.
The faucets are turned on.
The water pump is on and it runs and runs and runs... still no water.
We are going to check the filter sheets to see if they are dirty (which they probably are.) and maybe we will get water.
How will we know if we need a new water pump? Are they costly?
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 06:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New to this and can't get any water!

Greetings Anna!

Don't despair just yet. I don't know whether Airstream had discontinued this feature by '74, but you might have a city/on-board water system switch. My Overlander had one of these and it was located in the One Stop Service compartment near the water supply entrance - - when the lever is turned one direction you are using the demand system on-board - - the other direction enables the city water. Another issue that can cause problems is if any of your low-point drains are open in the system - - the locations of these drains vary by trailer model as do the number - - my Overlander has six found in three different locations.

If your pump does indeed have problems, and it is the Peters and Russel (PAR) that was Used by Airstream during the 1960s into the 1970s, rebuild kits can be purchased at a reasonable price. New PAR pumps are pricey, something around $200.00 - - the previous owner of my unit had discarded the original PAR pump and installed a newer style pump that was termperamental so I replaced it with a new PAR and the installed price was $215.00 five years ago.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 08:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Anna, I'm jumping over the same hurdle. My '67 Safari did the same thing. I think that if they sit for a long time the seals in the pump dry out to the point they can't pull enough pressure to prime. Check the bypass valve. If it is open the pump is essentially pumping water out of the tank back into the tank. If all else fails, turn everything on, open a faucet and blow a big lung full of air into the tank filler pipe. Don't laugh. It worked for me. The long term fix is to rebuild the pump. I found a source for PAR rebuild kits (about $50) at Hope that helps, Bill....
She's "Ami with an i"; My "Aluminum MIstress".
Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 09:36 PM   #6
Post Water pump does not prime.

From page 159 of the 1974 A/S-T/T Service Manual;

Symptom: Pump does not prime or build up pressure.
a. Check level of fresh water in tank.

b. Check system for leaks.

c. Be sure all valves and strainers are open.

d. Check power supply to see if voltage is up.

e.Under certain conditions on systems having outlets in excess of 7', it is necessary, after refilling fresh water tank, to bleed all the air from system by opening both highest and lowest outlets with pump running. This may also be accomplished by opening a drain valve to bleed off excessive head.

f. (Pertains to dismantleing pump and check valve assemblies)
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 05:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
Lightbulb Water Regulator

I think John hit it on the head.(water head). Check your water filter and, after that if it still doesn't pump water. This is assumming you've already checked all the other suggestions listed. Look for the water regulator, it should be very close to the pump..It might be that, it's clogged with trash as well. On my unit, I was on a trip and, didn't have time to fool with it. Just removed it from the line completely and..spliced a new line in place. Vola, water flowed...

If it turns out to be that...remember to use a "brass water pressure regulator" at the city water input..
You'll want one for whenever you're traveling anyway..Good investment~
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:15 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
Smile Try This!

On mine, the pump will continuously run until I crack open one of the low point drains in the back of the trailer. Once I do this (and close it after a few seconds), the pump primes and all is well. You can usually hear the difference in sound of the running pump when it finally primes. I also always "fill" the piping prior to running the pump using the "city" water connection. Cheers!
1971 25' Airstream Trailer, 1994 F350 CC DRW 7.3L PSD Life is Good in Bear Valley Springs!
CPRcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 11:28 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
clogged faucets

I just encountered another obstacle today. I finally purchased a new water pump, and to my delight was able to feed water through the system for the first time in decades. Unfortunately the first 20 gallons I flushed through were filled with copper oxidation particulates. So now I have a bathroom sink that flows real good, a kitchen sink that trickles abit, and a shower that refuses to make a drop. I was savy enough to check the screens at the end of the faucet, they were clogged but I am still not getting any water after cleaning and replacing them. I am assuming, or hoping I have a clog in the particular diverters, but I can't quite figure out how to dissassemble the kitchen faucet and shower controller. I have a 1969 31' Sovereign, and am a little afraid to mess things up, and be unable to find new replacement items. If any one has gone through this, and knows a really simple secret I would love to be included.

darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:08 AM   #10
Still Working
1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa

Wow, all kinds of recommendations and not one has pointed out that the plumbing has to be sealed as in ALL drains have to be CLOSED!

If you have rear bathroom, there are drains in the rear of the coach for water heater and cold water drain.
If you have middle bathroom, there is a water tank drain above the streetside wheel, (In the wheel well).
If you have all valves and drains closed, the system will pressurize and the pump will prime. If the pump comtinues to run, that means that there is there no water in tank, (which you have already taken care of) or there is a breach in the plumbing, This could be an open valve as discussed earlier or a hole in the plumbing.
(oh, and on another note, I have seen the system pressurize only to have the water shoot out the city water connection. Time to put a valve on there and seal this breach also.

As for shower, there is a button on the head, push it both ways (All the way), One position is open and one is close. I bet you will get water flowing now. I think all people that are new to RVs go through this class.

Clean you waterr filter and you will see a difference in water flow. I have also seen the regulator get clogged up and it will have to be removed and cleaned.

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master
1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Agreeing with Smiley, an essential check when running the pump and not getting water out of the faucet, is to look for leaks under the trailer.

If it looks like a hose stream while the pump is running then you probably have a bypass open and need to close a valve.

If it is dribbling out of a corner of the trailer, you need to immediately open the nearest external compartments to see if there is water on the floor in them. In this case, you may have split pipes (happens when they are not correctly winterized - and they freeze), or some other plumbing leak.

Note: The exit point in a leak scenario will be very different depending on where your bathroom is, where the plumbing runs, how level the trailer is, etc...

72 Sovereign: L couch, mid-twin, rear-bath
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote