Old 08-04-2003, 10:52 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
new plumbing system

We are renovating about 2/3 of our water system with plastic fittings but we don't know how the original system actually worked since most of it was in parts when we got the unit. I would like for some folks who know how a water system is supposed to work to take a look at it and tell me if I am on the right track.
I notice there is a 'bypass the pump' arrangement on Airstreams but not in other Rv sources. Is this really necessary? Why would you need water from the tank with out the pump and how would you get it? Or is there some other reason for this loop?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterhookup3.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	2536  

Old 08-04-2003, 11:02 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Looks good

Lexxy
Looks like you have it correctly layed out. I assume that since you did not show the hot water lines, you are okay with those. Another thought is to the use an AquaJet water pump as this does not require a cutoff valve between it and the city water connection. It also can be use along with city water when the city pressure is low (it draws water from the tank and boosts the pressure. The AquaJet is about $150, quiet and does not require an accumulator tank as it is a variable speed 5 cylinder pump with virtually no pulsation.

I don't see a pressure regulator between the city inlet and the interior water line and that IS something that I would certainly add rather than using an external regulator. If you don't already have a drain valve at the back of the rig, I would add that as well. Good luck

Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:13 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I was going to get an inline regulator for outside hose like one
at camping world.

And there is a drain valve and hole near the corner...hard to see

I couldn't figure out how to make this jpeg bigger and stay under the size the require....if someone knows how I can manipulate the bytes in it, I would appreciate a private email on it.

So I don't really need the loop?

I already got a pump but that one souns like a good one.

The hot water in on the other side of the unit...this is the feed pipe. We are extending that side too...and it's lots of fun with this strange size copper pipes they have...just a hair too big for 1/2" flare fittings....fortunately we can salvage enough existing ones to hook up to plastic.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:17 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
better?

lexxy

this help?

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterhookup3.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	2537  
Old 08-04-2003, 11:38 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Lexxy,
Not sure what you mean by a pump bypass. As you stated, without the pump, there is no way of getting water from the tank. I am not sure what year A/S moved from pressurized water tanks to pumps, but I know it was prior to 67, so your unit was a pump based system and without a pump there is no way to get water from the tank, let alone pressurize it. The way you have it layed it is the way the new A/Ss are setup.

As for the inline regulator, I would still install a permanent regulator (not a high dollar item). This is now standard equipment on new A/S. This way, if you happen to forget to use the inline, your new plastic plumbing is still protected. I also use an inline back at the faucet to protect the water hose from high pressure, so we are double protected. Water leaks are the pits, so I really believe in doing everything to avoid problems in this area.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote