Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
New Freshwater System

First off, I would like to tell everyone here that I appreciate all of the available knowledge and willingness to share it with others. I have scavenged the forums for quite a bit of info, but this is my first post. I (like some others on here) am a pilot and a newly minted Airstream owner (thanks to my new engagement as she brings with her a 1965 Globetrotter). My future wife is a decorative painter and interior designer so needless to say, things "look pretty" but there is not a whole lot that is functional. The wiring is in good shape, however, the plumbing is down-right horrible.

The guidance I was given by my future better half is that I needed a new water pump, so off I went and purchased a Sureflow "Super Duper" Silent Water Pump, when I disconnected the water hose (actual Garden Water Hose which had been used in lieu of flex tubing) that had been used as a temporary patch on the old system I was greeted with a plethora of white, crusty, and smelly material falling out of the tubes (I assume is related to hard water among other things). Upon further inspection of the copper lines (all orig.) they also had all of this buildup in them. Rather than deal with the old copper tubes, which I am sure will leak, I am looking at replacing them with some flex tubing that a buddy reccomended (he used it on the Coast Guard boats when they needed to do the same thing).

I am getting to a point here:
My initial plan of action is to remove some of the copper tubing so I can see the size that I will need to replace. Then replaace the tubing with the flex hose in sections as needed. I am also a little perplexed at how I will get the copper fittings from the water tank, water hook up inlet location, etc to fit with the new tubing (see question #2), any reccomendations?

#2 What kind of hose do I need. I have seen others refer to a "PEX" hose, which I am thinking is some sort of pressure hose as I know the water system will operate at around 30 psi or higher. Can I pick this up at a local hardware store, or do I need to go to an RV/Marine store I have also seen quite a few threads on how to connect the PEX, but am still at a loss on what would be best.

#3 With all of the crud in the lines and water system, would you reccomend replacing the freshwater tank, or just cleaning it out first.

I have restored old cars, train locomotives, and WWII airplanes, so I am not scared to get dirty or enthralled into a project. However, Airstreams are a new animal to me and any/all help would be greatly appreciated. I will have pictures as soon as I can of the water system, but figured I would get this post out there ASAP as I am looking to get started tomorrow.
Skycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome to the forums!
Pex will transition from copper with the help of "Sharkbite" fittings or similar. Pex can be purchased at most hardware stores. Yes, it will handle the pressure. I had to use 2 different sizes in mine, was never sure if that was original or not.
How I handle the water tank might depend on how easy it is to remove, due to location. Some tanks are buried deep in the trailer and might best be sanitized in place.
Good luck,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Thanks for the quick response. The water tank is mounted in the front of the trailer and is pretty easily accessable (although looks can be a little misleading). I will be pulling out the table and such that sits on top of it anyway as I am planning on building a fold out bed for that area anyway. Is there a preferred size of the PEX that usually works with most of the Airstream plumbing?
Old 12-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
My '72 used mostly 1/2", except under the kitchen sink.
I would consider pulling the tank if access is easy and it is that gunky.
Dave
Old 12-26-2007, 11:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Ok, neato. I assume that is 1/2" ID since the copper tubing is pretty small stuff as it is? I am thinking about replacement etc as I have heard all of the horror stories about the plumbing and upkeep of the system (tubes etc), especially since it has gone unused for so long.

Also, I have drawn out a diagram (to tbe best of my ability) for the freshwater system of the airstream (gray and blackwater will be another diagram and event in and amongst itself I think). Does anyone know where a good replacement for the water heater will be since the gas will be next on my list and the waterheater is sure to have all kinds of gunky crapola in it(unless they make a dual heating water heater that will run off of gas and electricity).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Plumbing.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	51582  
Old 12-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
They do make dual mode water heaters.
Atwood and Suburban both make water heaters, I paid extra and got the electric ignition model - I was tired of lighting pilot lights.
Dave
Old 12-26-2007, 11:38 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Nice, simple diagram of your fresh water system.

A few comments; you only show one sink. I think you should have 2, one kitchen and one bath. Also, sink H shows both water lines coming from the water heater.

You may also wish to consider a bypass for the water heater and a valve before the water pump to winterize from.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Check Valve

Skycop-

You also want a check valve or backflow preventer just to the left of the pump on your drawing. I assume you have the same type of water tank that I have on the '65 Caravel, which is not intended to be pressurized.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:20 AM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Is the tank metal and round? If so it was most likely orgianally a pressure tank. If there is not a pre-filter on the pump, install one in an accessable place. This will catch most of the crud.
From one pilot and mechanic to another. I am soo envious. I would love a trailer to restore. Just need the space.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If is it wired for 110 at the heater then get a dual fuel one. They are nice. 100 when in a full hookup campground. No wasted Propane. Gas for boon docking, dry camping, etc. It is nice to wake up in a walmart parking lot and get a hot shower.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:10 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Awesome, yes there is a mistake in the diagram, and I do have a sink in the shower area.

John,
I will check on the backflow valve and if there is not one installed, I will make it happen. You are saying that it needs to be on the waterpump output line BEFORE it joins up with the incoming water from the hookup? (area of blue arrow in picture?)

EDIT: I have re-uploaded orig picture with corrections listed above (and the blue arrow for location of check valve)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Plumbing.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	51585  
Old 12-27-2007, 08:27 AM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
If your pump has back flow prevention, then you'll need to add another drain aft of the pump too. The drains should be at the lowest point in the lines.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Here's my fresh water system diagram. Do not forget the pressure regulator for the city water supply. I put mine in as a permanent part of the system so I don't ever forget to hook it to the hose. That would be a mess.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FreshWaterSystem2.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	591.0 KB
ID:	51586  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Check Valve Location

Skycop-

Yes, that is the right location. Compare your drawing to the one in Chapter 12 of the 1965 Caravel Manual online at the Vintage Airstream Cub site -- http://airstream.net/members/documen...s%20Manual.pdf

I had a 1963 Globetrotter before the 1965 Caravel. The '63 had a tank that could handle pressure, which I assume Brad has in his '59. That is probably why he doesn't have the check valve. With the '65 year, it is obviously not a pressure vessel.

If you haven't seen that manual, it could be very helpful.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:10 AM   #15
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
My trailer originally had a pressurized tank but I replaced it to gain more capacity and I didn't like the pressure system idea with the PEX I put in. I added a ShurFlo pump which has the check valve in it.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
flyfshr...always gotta be someone out there who will one up me on the drawings j/k of course. I think mine will make more sense and I will probably do something like that in the future once I have everything finished to document what I have done.

65CV - thanks for the link, that does help quite a bit as I am printing it out now for reference.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
i've posted this somewhere else before, but it seems appropriate to this thread too.

i've included a link to a great article that explains the plumbing system in an rv. also check some of the other articles out too, a couple of good electrical introductions.

Water, Water, Everywhere!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
OK, work went well today as I was able to pull out all of the plumbing up to the water heater without a hitch. I am attaching a photo as I don't know what the bell looking thing and the other connecter AFTER that are. Can anyone help? I know the other connector leads to a drain, but it isn't a typical T fitting as it has a large round top to it. I also found out the water tank is in good shape, just needs a good cleaning. It looks like all of the crud in the lines came from the water hook up and not the fresh water tank/lines. Speaking of, was the orig fresh water tank plastic?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0904.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	51613  
Old 12-28-2007, 02:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Welcome from a fellow Texan AND 1965 Globetrotter unit owner.

The item to the left is the systems overpressure relief valve.

The item to the right is the pressure regulator for when you are hooked up to city water service to keep the system below 40 lbs of pressure.

If the water tank is about 4 foot long under your front "Goucho" seat, then it most likely is the original water tank. You might want to loosen it to check the floor under and toward the front of it for floor damage. Also check the overflow drain that is attached to it on the left side.

Best Reagrds and have fun.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Thanks! I will probably be using a similar setup when I put things back together now that I know what they are! The floor is in great shape, but I will be checking the tank for leaks when I clean it as I will fill it with the bleach solution and let it sit for a couple of days.