Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #15
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
My trailer originally had a pressurized tank but I replaced it to gain more capacity and I didn't like the pressure system idea with the PEX I put in. I added a ShurFlo pump which has the check valve in it.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
flyfshr...always gotta be someone out there who will one up me on the drawings j/k of course. I think mine will make more sense and I will probably do something like that in the future once I have everything finished to document what I have done.

65CV - thanks for the link, that does help quite a bit as I am printing it out now for reference.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
i've posted this somewhere else before, but it seems appropriate to this thread too.

i've included a link to a great article that explains the plumbing system in an rv. also check some of the other articles out too, a couple of good electrical introductions.

Water, Water, Everywhere!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
OK, work went well today as I was able to pull out all of the plumbing up to the water heater without a hitch. I am attaching a photo as I don't know what the bell looking thing and the other connecter AFTER that are. Can anyone help? I know the other connector leads to a drain, but it isn't a typical T fitting as it has a large round top to it. I also found out the water tank is in good shape, just needs a good cleaning. It looks like all of the crud in the lines came from the water hook up and not the fresh water tank/lines. Speaking of, was the orig fresh water tank plastic?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0904.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	51613  
Old 12-28-2007, 03:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Welcome from a fellow Texan AND 1965 Globetrotter unit owner.

The item to the left is the systems overpressure relief valve.

The item to the right is the pressure regulator for when you are hooked up to city water service to keep the system below 40 lbs of pressure.

If the water tank is about 4 foot long under your front "Goucho" seat, then it most likely is the original water tank. You might want to loosen it to check the floor under and toward the front of it for floor damage. Also check the overflow drain that is attached to it on the left side.

Best Reagrds and have fun.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Thanks! I will probably be using a similar setup when I put things back together now that I know what they are! The floor is in great shape, but I will be checking the tank for leaks when I clean it as I will fill it with the bleach solution and let it sit for a couple of days.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
worth mentioning is the thingy just "north" of the pressure regulator. Thats your check-valve. When you're using on-board water, running the pump, this keeps it all from squirting out the city water connection.
You might want to consider getting a replacement for that, as they don't last forever. mine had to be replaced, and my trailer is newer than yours.
Depending on how you design your new system, you may not need a direct replacement...or you may be able to go with a different type. Some city water connectors have one built in....point is, there has to be "something" in your new system that performs the same task.

the over-pressure relief valve: there have been other discussions on that, over the years. At least a few people w/ plumber's credentials have said that its not needed...(the water heaters all have one, hence, no need for 2). I kind of scratch my head over that one...if it wasn't "needed", then why did the factory go to the trouble of putting it in there? (I'm thinking that its there in case the pressure regulator craps out, and the system becomes over-pressureized from the city hookup, not a malfunctioning water heater. but that opinion is worth every penny you paid for it ). Anyway, if you use the search function, you'll be able to find these old discussions, read them, and decide for yourself.

good luck!
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #22
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Me too.

I am doing a replumb because of a pre-existing mixture of pipe and hoses, that always leaks or freezes. I appreciate the hints on this thread, and the diagrams are great. I decided to use 1/2 inch pex, except 3/8 in for the sinks and shower/tub. I looked at Sharkbite, Quest and Flair-it fittings. In our area the Quest seem to be most easily available, at Lowes and Home Depot. Sharkbite are really nice, but pricey. I would use them it money weren't part of the equation and I wasn't afraid I would have to e-order that one more part that I always seem to need to finish a job.
best of luck, bill b.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Skycop disappeared (from forums) after Jan 2008.
Wonder how the re-piping job turned out? The marriage?
Always amazed and disappointed how members just drop off the face of the earth in the middle of a docu-task of their Airstream upgrades.
Actually it is downright rude.
Hope all went well.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Well I haven't fallen off the face of the planet. I got about 3/4 of the job done (up to the water heater), we got married, had a job change, moved, and are now having a baby.

So life has taken priority over Rosie the airstream since I am trying to finish up my house remodel job before our baby gets here. Once that is done, the airstream will be first on the project list as we were talking about taking her out the other day.

My apologies if I pissed anyone off.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Great to hear from you!

Really glad that your absence was caused by life's pleasures instead of misfortune. Thanks for the update.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycop View Post
Well I haven't fallen off the face of the planet. I got about 3/4 of the job done (up to the water heater), we got married, had a job change, moved, and are now having a baby.

So life has taken priority over Rosie the airstream since I am trying to finish up my house remodel job before our baby gets here. Once that is done, the airstream will be first on the project list as we were talking about taking her out the other day.

My apologies if I pissed anyone off.
Once the baby is here, it's "never" done.

Andy
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Lol, well "it" has never been done before the baby! I guess I will just get that much farther behind! The good/promising news is that my wife and I are already talking about going camping with the new one. So I guess that means Rosie will get bumped up on the priority list!