Old 03-29-2004, 03:17 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Wow you live near him? I've heard he's been selling off a lot of his airstreams to concentrate on homes only. I am following his manual on how to redo the trailers. who wants to take a chance that one thing is bad? We have a choice of white formaldehyde free fiberglass and cotton batts with aluminum reinforced foil on each side and a couple of other.s The problem is I am so sensitive right now (the pollen is in yellow drifts across the sidewalk!) That it's hard to test things.
I am extremely sensitive to propane or charcoal firestarter to the point of stopping breathing- syncope- that's one of the things that makes me wonder if I can make it in an RV park : ) If it's the glue I am thinking of- its asphalt or tar based like old railroad tracks- the smell never goes away. All the insulation is already out the black glue has to be ground off. Didnt see any evidence of rodents I think they just like the warmth in winter.there is also aluminum bubble pack like stuff and an interesting glass bead paint that looks interesting. Soerry if I'm repeating myself. I'mn running out of energy. thanks, suz

silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:23 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Silver Suz,

Give Randy or Pat at North Dallas RV a call. They've done some "allergy" conversions before and can install a grey tank into your trailer. They are a Airstream service center. The facility isn't much to look at, but they do outstanding work and are very honest.

Tell them Tripp sent you. I'm up there all the time.

Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:30 PM   #17

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
No, I don't actually live near him, but I have family in his neighborhood that I visit occasionally. (130 miles, +/-). I'd be interested in seeing his tape on finding leaks!

I was just wondering what the glue was put there for. what was it holding in?? I would think that the fiberglass bats would have just been a friction fit between the ribs...that, and the interior skin would hold them in place.

there's probably no shortage of charcoal fire-starter at campgrounds...certainly no shortage of campfires, which are enough to aggrivate my DW's asthma. Propane?....I hope not. its highly explosive. there shouldn't be any for you to inhale, although, there's certainly plenty stored in people's LP tanks. I suppose you must need the propane systems removed from your trailer, too, eh? I mean, there would always be a teeny amount that escapes into the air when you go to light the stove, etc...
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:38 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
wahoonc, I am totally confused by the new system, and I was just understanding the old one, old age must be creeping up on me. I don't know how to PM yet. I talked to Inland Andy and the 72 manual is the one we need. the 1971 has no grey water tank. Thanks for your offer, but I think we are ordering the 1972 from Andy
and Tripp, thanks for the info on North Dallas RV. It makes sense there would be someone around to rennovate AS , given Dr. Rea's office is in Dallas. I wonder if they have the almond porcelain wall panels??? . I'll call tomorrow, Thanks, silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:45 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Talking Senior Moments?

What I was offering was a scan from the 1975 manual so you could see how the tanks and plumbing were laid out. It shows the location of the various tanks, plumbing as well as the location of the vents. I can also get you the center bath floor plan. If you are going to the trouble to customize I would go ahead and add the gray water tank for the quick overnite stops? You can send your email to BTW I am still getting the hang of this new forum too The easiest way to PM is to click "Private Messages" at the top right side of the screen right under the "Welcome, silver suz" then fill in the blanks.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
When I visited said builder of Airsteams to check out a 1957 he had I found him a very fine fellow. He wants too much for said AS. What I did see was the in process removal of said black stuff. It appears to be a seam sealer in the inside of the end caps and was already removed other places. He grinds it off. It was an overwhelming experience to see a fully gutted trailer. No interior walls, holes cut in the floor, bare ribs (which are far thinner than I expected). I am rethinking the whole frame off project idea. At least I am going to hold out for a 54-57 which will be worth the time and money.
He does have trailers.

Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote