Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #1

1992 34' Legacy 34
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Need help finishing Fresh Water tank hook up

Hello there. My father lost his battle with cancer a few days ago. He and my mom purchased a 1992 Airstream Legacy just a few months ago because he was doing so well. He fell very ill in the middle of replacing the fresh water tank and was never able to complete it. Now we need to sell the Airstream but wanted to complete the repair first. Who wants to buy an RV that needs repairs, right? Anyways, I know nothing about the wiring and plumbing and was wondering if anyone could look at the pic below and maybe give me some direction? It looks pretty much put together except for maybe the overflow hose needs to go somewhere and some loose wires need to connect to something I'm sure. The tank is not the same size that it originally came with as he could not find one in our area. I believe the replacement tank is a 33 gallon but had the same valve configuration as the original. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fresh water tank.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	136836  
Tara9424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Sorry about he loss of your father.

It appears the fill and suction lines are in place. I assume you feel the big white tube is the vent, I suggest you do the following.

1. Clean up the work area.
2. Trace the white hose and locate the termination point. Take a picture.
3. Take 10 more pictures of the tank with better angles and light.
4. It appears the tank has not been drilled for the vent line yet as none is visible. Do you see and additional holes on the top of the tank ?
5. I don't think the tank is secured to the floor yet, that has to be done, the straps would go around the tank in the recess molded in the tank. You can buy strapping at any hardware store or HD.

The white hose is a very large for a vent are you sure it is not hooked to a blower of some type? Where dose the small clear line at the top terminate is it just hanging that would be closer to the size of a vent line.

I strongly suggest you do a search on the internet for a drawing of a typical fresh water tank install, they are fairly standard whether in an RV, Boat, or even a house.

RV'S are sold all the time in need of repairs, often buyers look for a fixer upper.

Best of luck, Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
The suction line is the clear hose at the bottom side of the tank, the vent is at the top of the tank above the suction line. The big white hose should be the fill line, that would go to the top of the tank and I do not see a fitting installed for it yet. You can verify that it is the fill line by putting the open end of it in a bucket and pouring a cup of water into the water fill located on the outside of the trailer. If the water ends up in the bucket you found the water fill. Then you need to install a fitting on or near the top of the tank that the white hose will fit onto. Then fasten the tank to the frame as described above. Those extra wires may be for the tank monitors, which you may want to leave off as there are no fittings on the tank for them. Good luck.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Ventport is correct the white line is the fill line and goes on tank where the supposed vent line is attached the vent line would always go on top of the tank. The fill line connection on the tank has been reduced down to attach the smaller line, follow the lines and see where they attach. So you have to attach the smaller line to the highest part of the tank remove the reducer and add an adapter and attach the white fill line.

If you attach the vent line to the side connection and fill from the top air pressure will push water out of the vent when the tank gets near full.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sorry to hear about the loss of your father.

Before you get wet, have someone blow into the hose and you should be able to feel some air coming out. Or have them blow into it and hold your hand over the other end and if they feel it becomes hard to blow on it, you found it. A compressor would work if you have one, but start the simplest way. Mark it with a Magic Marker so you or anyone else in the future know what it is.

Because the season is ending, it may be best to advertise it now, fixed or not. Once fixed, you can raise the price. On the other hand, only days after your father's death is not the best time to be making big decisions. Maybe keeping it will feel better later on.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #6

1992 34' Legacy 34
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate the help. I really am not mechanically inclined as my father was so perhaps I will try to sell as is. I would hate connect things incorrectly causing someone to have to undo what I did. Might as well let them get it right the first time. Again, thank you.
Tara9424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Tara...

I'm glad you took my advice and found the Airforums. You will get good, solid advice here. It's the best place for all things Airstream.

Good luck in selling the Airstream. I'm sure you'll find a good home for it...

We all are sorry for your loss, and wish you well as you get through this difficult time...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote