Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Need a pop-off valve

Does anyone know where I can get a "pop-off valve" to install in the water line? Mine was never there and I put in new pex tubing and assume I need to install one.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Cleveland , Georgia
Most hardware stores should be able to help you. The pop-off valve is the same as used in your home. Mr D
Mr D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a "pop-off valve" to install in the water line? Mine was never there and I put in new pex tubing and assume I need to install one.
The high pressure pop off valve used by Airstream is part #16522.

I Have never seen that valve used anywhere except in an Airstream.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I tried several stores. No one seems to have a clue what I'm talking about. Does it have another term? Where is is used in the home? The water heater?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I don't know that they are RV specific but you can try searching "Pressure Relief Valve".

WW Grainger has them.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-/Ntt-pressure+relief+valve?Ns=List+Price|0&sort=DD

McMaster-Carr has them listed as Pop-Safety Valves on catalog pages 467 - 469.

McMaster-Carr

They come in "Vented Outlet" or "Threaded Outlet" styles. The latter will allow you to plumb a drain line outside your living space should an over pressurization occur.

You might also try a local plumbing supply house?

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Is the purpose of it just to protect the interior lines from over-pressurization from a city water hookup? I removed the one from my trailer because I bypassed it when I removed the city water hookup.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I'm guessing here, but I think the reason these were installed was to protect the 12V pressure pump and perhaps the shower hose from too high a city water pressure in case the regulator failed or got stuck. The copper lines would easily handle full city water pressure or higher - I've routinely put 200 psi through similar copper lines on our steam launch. The water heater also appears plenty robust enough to handle 100 psi or more.

In any case, limiting the water pressure to 40 psi or so is a good idea, and such valves are readily available as others have noted.

One thing that would be an improvement in the water handling on Airstreams are fine screen filters protecting the pump intake and the city water inlet. Debris in the water line (rust flakes, etc) will raise hob w/ check valves, water regulators and the like; such simple filter really make pumps, etc. more reliable when the water gets "chunky".

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Cleveland , Georgia
I think I need to clarify what I said about the pop-off or pressure relief valve. I didn't mean they all had the same maker or serial number, only that they all serve the same purpose. They are common fixtures in water systems everywhere from the largest buildings to the camper trailers. They are to protect your complete water system. Even though copper lines may bear pressures of 200 lbs. or more the faucets, commodes, shower valves, water heater, and supply lines, etc. will not. If you go to a hardware store and ask for almost anything for a "trailer" they will tell you they don't have it. If you don't mention trailer and tell them specifically what you want, ie: a 4 inch or 8 inch faucet or a commode supply line etc., they will have it almost 100% of the time. I did warranty work for several mobile home manufacturers covering the East coast almost 20 years plus local repairs another few years until I became disabled with CHF and COPD. I hope this helps. Mr D
Mr D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Reviving this thread...

I have found adjustable pressure relief valves for $40 - $60, and Home Depot has one you can special order for $17, but it is set at 75 psi. Thoughts?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
Reviving this thread...

I have found adjustable pressure relief valves for $40 - $60, and Home Depot has one you can special order for $17, but it is set at 75 psi. Thoughts?
A local plumbing supply house will have one. The big box stores carry what sells quickly.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote