Old 09-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Airstreamer since 1958

1973 31' Sovereign
Greencastle , Pennsylvania
Missing pump - how's it fit in? '73 Sovereign

I bought the A/S minus a water pump. But now I can't seem to figure out where it would fit into the space it should go. Anyone with a similar rig that could take a pic and show me?

Here's what's there now.

I've also got a water fill opening that won't take the key into the slot. It looks like someone didn't want that door opened since they'd disconnected the water fill pipe inside. Anyone with a clue about what might be jamming that lock up? It's got me stumped but don't want to spend money on a locksmith visit only to be told I have to remove the filler to replace the lock.

Thanks if you've got a suggestion.

Stickbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Hello. It almost looks like your univolt system was move and put in place of the water pump. I had a 73 overlander rear bath, and I have a 71 sovereign. Univolt on both where in the back. I do know that the black hose with the spring in the suction side for the pump. It also looks like the filler line (larger black hose) also disconnected is missing the L connector. I would try to find a manuel maybe here or get ahold of Andy at inlandrv.com. That guy has alot of knowledge.

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Sorry, I didn't see this post sooner. I just removed my stove/oven today and the configuration of univolt and water pump is exactly as it appears in your picture. I will return tomorrow and get pictures. It's dirty but in place. I'm not sure how to get into the fresh water door but will investigate a little for you.

Will post pictures tomorrow.

Joe
Old 04-15-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
Airstreamer since 1958

1973 31' Sovereign
We chickened out on living in the A/S through a PA winter, so now that the weather is warming up, we're back at getting her ship shape for the spring and summer.

I've done everything but call a locksmith to undo that water compartment door. I'm leaning towards drilling out the lock and buying a replacement at this point.

The pump/Univolt configuration is important as well, hope to order the new pump next week.

Thanks for any help you might be able to render.

Doug
Old 04-15-2009, 06:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbug View Post
I've done everything but call a locksmith to undo that water compartment door. I'm leaning towards drilling out the lock and buying a replacement at this point.
Doug

Doug,
Before you drill or call a locksmith check out Out Of Doors Mart for a key. This may open the water fill door for you...

KEY DECO 31-8190 - $4.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
You should replace that univolt with a modern converter. If you do, it will be a lot smaller, and you can put the water pump in that spot too.
Can you reach the back of the lock for the fill door? Can you unbolt the lock from the back?

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
Airstreamer since 1958

1973 31' Sovereign
Thanks for the tip, DEITZ645 , I'm -very- impressed that you knew about that and were able to give me a link right to it!

I've ordered one and we'll see if she works!

Dear Guido, right now the house rebuilding is sucking up all the money on this side of the country that isn't nailed down. Someday I'll shop for a smaller converter unit, but for now, I may have to use a shoe horn to get the pump in.

As for the water fill door, the door is part of an assembly that is fastened to the body of the trailer. The back of the assembly is the hose connection that leads down to the water tank. There's no way to open the back to get at the lock mechanism. Otherwise I'd have just popped the clip off the lock from the inside and wiggled it free. No dice.

No one seems to have a pic of how the original pump/converter installation looked though, which seems odd.

Thanks all for your suggestions! Keep them coming!

Doug
Old 04-16-2009, 12:26 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
In our '74 Sovereign the pump originally sat either on the shelf beside the Univolt or just under the shelf. (My memory is not what it used to be) We replaced the Univolt and it is presently waiting patiently to be put into service as a boat anchor. After installing our new converter the shelf was free to place the pump there.
When you do get around to putting a new 90 degree angle connector in your fresh water filler pipe - drill a hole in the angle and silicone a fitting into it thay will connect to your cold water city supply line. You need to put a shut off valve in the line. This will enable you to top up your fresh water tank anytine you are connected to city water. This will save you the trouble of pulling out a water hose to fill the tank from your outside filler. I used pex fittings for this modification.
Good luck with your lock problem and enjoy the house.
Bob
Old 04-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
If the Deco key does not work, try Water Fill Key WF-01, also from Out of doors mart. This is the kind of key that works in my '72.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
Airstreamer since 1958

1973 31' Sovereign
Great ideas! Thanks!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:47 AM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbug View Post

No one seems to have a pic of how the original pump/converter installation looked though, which seems odd.

Thanks all for your suggestions! Keep them coming!

Doug
The Univolt in our Sovereign is in a claustrophobic-small compartment under the bathtub, accessed through a hatch in the curbside closet. In the rear of the trailer. The area you show your Univolt and water pump in, our furnace and water pump occupy. I think you will find that to be the case in most Sovereigns of that vintage, which is probably why there are no pictures of that configuration.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My 73 Sovereign and 71 Tradewind and every other early 70s AS I have heard of had the Univolt factory installed in the bottom of the rear bathroom closet. Most replacment pumps are smaller units than originals and can be squeezed in some tight spaces.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Another note on the water compartment keys. In addtion to the WF-01 and the Deco , there has been a lot of those repaired with a compartment door lock kit. The key for that was a 751, which is very common. So if your reading this because you can't get in your water fil compartment, you should try a 751 key before you buy a new key.

Dan
Old 04-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Doug,
Here is a picture of my potable water tank fill access door on the '87 that takes the DECO key. If yours looks like mine then I would assume that the key in the link that I previously posted will work. If it looks different I will have to defer to other more experienced Airstream locksmiths
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0209.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	78611  

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote