Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2017, 05:25 PM   #21
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
There was a similar thread on Airforums about a year ago. Mouse in water tank. They took the tank out to clean it with a lot of debate on what to do.

You may be able to get the critter out and sanitize the tank and lines, but, every time you turn on the faucet, you will remember there was a dead critter in there! I don't know about Kimber, but my wife would never use the water again.

Replace the tank, flush the lines, and take the Overlander to Burning Man.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
It would be hard for a mouse to climb the side of my trailer and enter the fresh water fill. I suspect that it would be the same for your MH. Have you considered the possibility that someone sabotaged your tank?
NO!! - I left the fill cap off and the little door wide open. Someone would have to go through a lot of trouble to do that kind of sabotage when they could more easily pour sugar in my gas tank (diesel, wide open fill). Besides, I liv in the boonies - the last person who showed up unannounced in my driveway stepped out of his vehicle and said "Please don't shoot but I need some directions."
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Take a look at the roof vent for your fresh water tank. Does it still have a "cap" (cover) on it? Running under a low hanging tree is a really good way to take some of the lightweight plastic ones off. Once it's gone, the plastic pipe "stub" makes a fine place for birds to sit. Where birds sit they leave things behind ...

Either way, the vent pipe is something to consider cleaning in a situation like this.

Bob
This tank does not have a roof vent, it is only vented via small plastic tube to a hole next to the fill pipe.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 08-14-2017, 09:14 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Stayton , Oregon
Deck plate for fresh water tank

If you have an accessible tank and a 6 in. or so flat spot on top you can put in a deck plate, an (access hole). Amazon has them, very nice to have for cleaning and checking a fresh water tank.
tin twinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Here's what I did (and am still doing)

OK, I mulled it over all night (on night shift). We were ready to go out and get 6 - 5 gallon jugs of water and a pump to provide us water for the 16 days we will be out at Burning man but that solution just doesn't sit well with me. We normally don't drink the water from our tank in the first place - we take bottled with us for a variety of reasons. But we do need to take our weekly shower and mama was not happy with the prospect of doing that out of a bucket if you know what I mean. So, I decided that after I get off work, I would borescope the tank to be sure it was critters. If it wasn't, then I was going to chlorinate it really good and flush it all out with fresh water a couple times to be sure.

I wish I could share the borescope images but there was no way to get them there. Suffice it to say that I saw at least 4 mice in the drained tank. The tank had to come out. But I needed some sleep first.

I woke up at around 1130 and started straight. The process is quite simple actually in the motorhome, remove the bed platform and wood slats and the tank is right there. about 45 minutes after starting the tank was out and on my driveway. There was still a few gallons of water in the tank and as I was moving it around, I could see the shadows of "things" in the tank floating around. I don't really know how many mice there were but it was enough to cause a horrendous stink!!!

I looked inside through the fill connection and you know what they say about not looking in your tank - yeah, its true, you don't want to see whats in there. Living in the boonies, with no nearby neighbors to complain, I dumped the tank and gave it a good mixing up too to be sure the little buggers all got out, which they did not. I filled it with more water, sloshed it around and dumped the last of the critters out of there. They actually flushed out quite easily - there was no need for spatulas, vacuums, grabbers or anything. the suction force of gravity alone was enough to extract them from the tank.

I put 4 cups of bleach in the tank and put about 10 gallons of water and vigorously sloshed it around the inside of the tank and let it sit for several minutes before sloshing again. I repeated this sloshing for a half an hour and dumped the tank. Then I repeated the process all over again with slosh and wait cycles. Then I let the bleach just sit while I cleaned detritus from the screen filter. It was black with slime! I bleached that as well for a half an hour.

I then triple rinsed the tank with just fresh water and it was looking really good!!!! Looked like new practically.

Then I poured the remaining half gallon of bleach back into the tank and took it in to re-install. Once installed, I filled it 1/2 way, checking for leaks. Seeing none, I drained the rest of the water system and started refilling it with the heavily chlorinated water from my squeeky clean tank. There is chlorine sitting in all the pipes and water heater (which I also dumped). I let about half of that water flow through the system. I did maybe 10% flow through the cold circuit and the rest through the hot because I want that tank to get a good dose. That's where it sits now.

I plan to do one more course of hyper-chlorination before flushing and filling one last time. I'm not worried about the water system, i do believe it will be safe for human consumption but we will be using it only for flushing, washing dishes and showering. I'm not going to get a new tank at this time because we simply don't need that much capacity when our black and grey couldn't hold it all and also a larger tank will have water sitting around longer. We just don't really need it.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
The fill door on my trailer had been left open before I bought it, lucky I just had pine needles get in. Glad you got Mr. Tom's tank cleaned out, I was going to suggest looking at making an access door on the top of the tank to shop vac through.
See ya playaside in a week and half!
Do stop by, Airstreameri and What Not will be somewhere near 2:45 and JuJu, unless our PlacerGoddess sends us to D lot....

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:39 PM   #27
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Pull the water heater drain plug or anode as the case may be and flush it with a small plastic hose attached to a hose (hardware store parts). We got a lot of sand and dirt out of the bottom of my WH that way. There is a couple of inches below the drain that won't empty and you have to stir it up to clean it out.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:54 AM   #28
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Butter, thank you for sharing your adventure. I bet someone somewhere will have the same or similar event happen and we all now know the rest of the story and the fix.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:48 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You did well. Have a great trip.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:27 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto -- well done and have a great trip. Thanks for the details.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #31
Classy Roscoe

I am still trying to muse the source of the mouse ingress. Climbing into the fresh water tank is difficult, IMO.

Do you keep water hoses coiled up with thd ends screwed together or just coiled up?

Wonder if your mice were transferred in via water hose? I was raised on a ranch. Learned never to trust a water hose. Visitors sometimes like to stay in them.

Glad you were able to recover use of your system.

FYI WiFi Endoscope Camera ( with grabber attachment and recording software) > $200 [google it]

Have a wonderful trip!
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
If one ever saw most municipal drinking water plants from the inside, he wouldn't worry much about a dead mouse or two.

Enjoy Burning Man.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Great solution!
I cringed at the thought, and I've seen plenty. Access to remove the tank was paramount. Great design!
BTW, inexpensive endoscopes are plentiful these days. USB connection.
https://www.amazon.com/Depstech-Semi...rds=borescopes
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'd very much wonder about the "root cause" of all this. One random mouse here or there ... ok, I'll buy that. Four mice, that's not random. Mice in the hose I'd buy. Do you "run" your hose before hooking it up to the trailer? If not, it's a *really* good idea (turn on, count to twenty after the first water comes out, turn off, then connect). If you already do so, the mice in the hose part doesn't fit.

I've seen the "run first before using" procedure posted on a number of state park water sources. It's a pretty common thing to do. No harm in using the water to rinse off the outside of the trailer while your flushing things ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Another good reason to run the hose for a minute or two (if no water shortage issue) is that you purge lead from the water in older copper pipes, due to the lead-based solder used years ago.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Liberty , North Carolina
I am never drinking water again! Only Makers Mark straight !
B Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:43 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Schoharie , Unknown
Like others have said, sanitize the system with bleach and drive on... We rarely use our water from the AS tanks and drink bottled water, not that
it is probably any safer, lol...
EZTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerrville View Post
I am still trying to muse the source of the mouse ingress. Climbing into the fresh water tank is difficult, IMO.
I've read if a mouse can get their head in, the body will fit. Roof vent?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote