Old 08-07-2005, 08:27 AM   #15
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
A rare bird...

Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
I'm a little confused Are you saying that on your coaches, that you can't fill the fresh water tank with the street water line? Mine has a valve on a bypass around the pump and allows the tanks to be filled. I have never used it, but it's there. Was this not a feature for '70's units?

John. most trailers have a check valve that does not permit city water past it. This is usually at/in/near the water pump. SOME trailers have a manual valve instead of this feature, but it is not common.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Boy, now I'm going to have to go out and check myself!

Ron Kaes
Psalm 112
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Here's what the 1966 Owner's Manual says:

Your system has check valves in the water ines to protect the water tank and, therefore will not fill while you are connected to city water, unless the crossover filler valve is opened. This crossover filler valve is located adjacent to the water upmp underneath the front lounge....To fill the water tank when the trailer is connected to city water, merely turn this crossover valve to the "on" position and remove the filler cap. ...will preclude the water tank from being pressurized...
Perhaps they removed this feature from later models.

AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to vintage Airstreaming and yes you do have a vintage. VAC acknowledges anything over 25 years old to be a vintage airstream. You are eligible to join and attend thier rallies. As to your shower floor I suggest getting in touch with "Balrgn", in fact I am suprised he has not already chimed in on this thread. he did a wonderful job on his fabulous 75 Tradewind ( i'm the PO) bathroom floor and has it all documented step by step. This guy knows what he is doing.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:59 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
When I bought my AS 3 years ago it had a frozen and split copper water line to the hot water side of the kitchen sink. I repaired it with plastic. It worked for 3 years until last week at the beach. The plastic broke at the fitting and sprayed water all over the inside of the trailer. A good way to wash the floors and interior cabinets. A trip to the plumbing store. I replaced it with a 36" stainless flex-hose. It is working again in good order. At the RV park we had the oldest trailer. Noboby thought it was 30 years old.
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
RomeClone ... welcome to vintage airstreams! you may have surmised, there is certainly variation in these trailers over the years. I look forward to getting into my trailer as Pizzachop expressed and see what mine has.

I have not attempted to fill my water tank from the street water connection, nor have I experienced water flowing out the fill door. I don't know of a check valve around the water pump in our trailer, but there are 3 valves below the floor line of the trailer very near the inlet pipe from the tank fill and the water pump under the kitchen sink.

Without researching our trailer, I would vote that you have a valve open that needs to close to use street water.

Most of all, enjoy the magic of these silver beauties, and have a great time bringing a great trailer back to life!
72 Sovereign: L couch, mid-twin, rear-bath
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:42 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
The valves below the floor line are, The lowest one that is hard to see is the water tank drain. The other two are for winterizing and will drain water from the water lines. My old trailer does not have a check vavle at the filler hose inlet. So I made one with a using a garden hose check vavle brass and a flow reducer valve. I also plumbed in a hose bib to drain the water system for winter. You should go ahead and fill the water tank from the outside to make sure it holds water. Replace the propane hoses. If you have the orginial tanks keep them and order new valves. The orginial tanks are worth a lot. Replace or repair the water pump. You can order new window and door seals from Inland RV. The steps try cleaning them or sanding. If they are steel get some paint called POR.

Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote