Old 03-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Locating new city water inlet

I'm replacing the copper in my Globetrotter with pex and am to the point of replacing the city water inlet. The existing, I imagine original, is through the left rear bumper support and a pain to do and undo. The existing tube comes along the bumper support and up through the floor. I want to install something on the exterior of the trailer, to the left of the rear compartment door (and avoiding all the electrical stuff in that area) I bought one of these

City Water Inlet, Brass w/ Chrome or White Finish

and am stumped as to how to choose a good location. I figure it can go almost anywhere because the pex allows for pretty easy tubing installation.

thanks

Old 03-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I have the same inlet on the body of my 75, it was installed by the PO. Mine is located about a foot above the lower rub rail and just forward of the bumper. Getting to it from the inside is a consideration and placing it forward of the bumper will allow any drips from the connection to fall to the ground and not make their way into the trailer.

I attach a 90 degree adapter to the fitting and then attach the hose to that. That makes the connection much easier. The inlet has a built in check valve and you can use a regulator on the hose (other end) and eliminate these items from the inside of your trailer if you want. The PO did this with mine and I have had no problems in 5+ years. The white plastic strap that holds the plug will break, but you can replace that with a new one. The new one will break also.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Hey AZ, thanks for that. I picked this up on a whim in Santa Rosa yesterday, because its two hours to get to any place to buy something like this.. THEN I saw all the options online for inlets. I'm glad to hear yours works, seems like an ok product to me. I think I can get through to the interior pretty easily, but may try to attach the thing near a framing piece to give a little extra strength to the mounting. Thanks too for the tip on the 90 degree adapter. Peter
Old 03-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Here are a couple of pictures of my setup. Sorry about the quality...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterinlet2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	123627  
Attached Images

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Ah, ok that looks cool. Thats what I was sort of imagining for my rig. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
I wish that I could say that my experience is as good as Richard's has been with the city water inlet on the wall of coach. As you can see, my '64 Overlander has an inlet similar to Richard's:

The inlet is a constant source of leaks as the movement of the hose is continually breaking the seal with the wall of the coach. I would estimate that mine requires resealing from the inside about six or seven times per season. A service tech convinced me to switch from the very serviceable Airstream design and I wish that I would have never listened to his suggestion. The electric entrance as seen in this photo has been changed over to a Marinco since this photo was taken elminating the second leak problem that was caused by the zealous tech who caught me off-guard during my first year of ownership back in 1995.

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Kevin, thanks SO much for the pictures, you have exactly the same set up as I do, 1964. I wondered about just having the two rivets holding the thing to the skin, and thought that maybe I'd add two more holes and rivets to the plate to make the mounting more secure. I can imagine the force of a hose pulling on the mounting could open up seams, but I was thinking of bedding it in caulk.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Locating new city water inlet

Greetings Globie64!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Kevin, thanks SO much for the pictures, you have exactly the same set up as I do, 1964. I wondered about just having the two rivets holding the thing to the skin, and thought that maybe I'd add two more holes and rivets to the plate to make the mounting more secure. I can imagine the force of a hose pulling on the mounting could open up seams, but I was thinking of bedding it in caulk.
It isn't just the strain of having the hose attached to the fixture - - it is also the issue of getting the hose connected to the fitting. I have found that it only gets worse with age -- after 16 years, the fixture binds and his difficult to turn causing torquing of the fixture -- things that weren't an issue when the fixture was copper and firmly mounted to the bumper frame member. I am at the point of patching the body and returning to the original Airstream design and doing away with a pesky leak entirely. I have already determined that all of the parts necessary to replicate the original Airstream installation are readily available at Lowes.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I'm really not a fan of reaching down and finding my hose. As of this point, I'm still not sure where the hose inlet is. I found this setup online at https://www.americanrvcompany.com/Sh...RV_p_2285.html#

This one has a 65 psi, and this other similar one at
Tom Raper RVs : RV Parts : Pressure Regulated Water Fills (Chrome) has a 40 psi. Not sure which one is appropriate since I'm replacing just about everything with Pex. Also, these don't have a check valve, not sure if I need that or not.

It seems like the 4 holes and the other parts would alleviate some of the issues that Kevin is referring to.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
interesting, I was trying not to make such a big hole in the side of the trailer though.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
My thoughts exactly regarding the 'big hole'. Though there are many that use that type.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
My thoughts exactly regarding the 'big hole'. Though there are many that use that type.
It may not be as big as it seems. I went ahead and ordered one of these. We'll see how it goes. Shurflo indicates it meets checkflow requirements as well, so you get pressure protection and checkflow in one.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
It looks like a better product than the one I bought, I'll give it a thought. If it contains the pressure regulator in it as well?