Old 03-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Leak appears when trailer rear jacked up

A week ago I went to get four new tires. Two jacks were carefully applied on the plates on the frame and all four tires were raised with the two rear wheels being highest.

On the curb side, at the rear of the wheel well, water started weeping from a seam between metal and plastic material. For the 30 minutes or so the trailer was on jacks, 1/3 of a cup of CLEAR water dripped out.

Black water and gray water tanks were empty. Fresh water tank drained by use of drain located between wheels on street side.

What could have been the source of this water? Does the fresh water tank have a 2nd vent that water remaining in the tank could have seeped from when rear of trailer was raised? I know there is a vent at the fresh water tank inlet.

As always, friends, thanks in advance for your responses

Old 03-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Do you mean between the top of the outrigger and the bottom of the rear of the plastic wheel well?

Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
I don't know what the "outrigger" refers to.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The metal piece at the lower rear of the wheel well below the plastic wheel well. It's is about 4" tall and runs from the frame out to the skin.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You have a leak and the water is sitting. When you jacked it up it spilled out. Find the leak and plug it or do not jack up the rear
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
dznfog--yes, that's the area I'm referring to.

62 Overlander--I believe you that I have a leak. And, I've been hooked up here to shore water since the beginning of october (full time) and no water appears anywhere around the trailer so where is it going?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I bet it is sitting in the "c" channel. This is my semi educated guess. I do not work on trailers this late, so I do not know for sure, but in the early trailers, I often see this.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Since it only appeared when one end or the other was raised, it was probably condensation, which is not unusual.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Frank--what is the "C channel" and do I need to worry about this?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
the channel goes around the perimeter of the trailer in between the walls. The skin attaches to the floor there. If water sits, it grows mold and worse it gives a media for galvanic corrosion to take place. Aluminum+ water+ minor electric charge = aluminum oxide. This can eat through the side wall. It also will wick into the insulation and ruin the R value.
As I said, I work on much earlier trailers and am not an expert at these later years.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If you use your internal water system (without being hooked up to shore water) and there is a leak you will hear the water pump run occasionally to re-pressurize the system as water leaks out - at least on old trailers - I assume it's the same on newer ones.

If you don't find a leak in your pipes, could it have been rainwater being held under that plastic you're talking about? It sure sounds like a tiny amount.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Ok, so it's running out at floor level. So you can pretty well eliminate everything below that. I am not terribly familiar with your floorplan, so I am making some assumptions here. I always like to start with the easiest and work up to the hardest.
I think you have your galley curbside aft of the wheel wells, and have a rear door and rear pano windows. If the rear windows or door were leaking, I would think you would've seen water on the floor...or it could be running between the flooring and the sub-floor from the rear. However, you state it was "clear" water. It's been my experience that after water sits on wood and/or glues, it usually looks like weak tea.

I believe your sink is just aft of the wheel well...right? I would check carefully, under the sink area for a slow leak in the p-trap in the sink drain as well as the supply lines.

If there is no wetness or water witness marks, I would move into Frank's camp and believe that you have an outer skin leak which is running into the c-channel. That is the piece which attaches the outer skin to the floor and to the inner skin. Like a "C" laying on it's back around the perimeter of the trailer. If this is the case, it could be coming from anywhere in the rear of the trailer. Rear Pano Windows are suspect. There are several threads on these, if you have them. Might check there first.

Did the water come out the corner where the outrigger meets the skin, or more inboard...toward the frame channel?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Ok, so it's .

Did the water come out the corner where the outrigger meets the skin, or more inboard...toward the frame channel?
Water came more inboard--about six inches or so
Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, it can run from the c-channel, along the inner wheel housing before exiting, but that MAY lend some credence to a plumbing issue. Curious....did you jack up curbside first or streetside?