Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,264
On my previous Hi-Lo, I also broke the plastic valve and had to replace it; a ten minute job. 'Easy Peasy!'
The Airstream is a different story. I would like to meet the dimwit who designed THAT arrangement.
Before I installed the replacement valve on the Hi-Lo. I used a "Q"-tip to lubricate the inside of the valve with Silicone grease, working it back and forth. That valve worked great for five years till I traded it in for the Airsteam.
__________________

__________________
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
CruizinDux's Avatar
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
It is, and eventually it will cease to function....I replaced the flange with THIS and added a 1/4" ball valve.

Bob

Bob Thanks!!! As the say timing is everything. I've been having some trouble with out petcock valve and have been considering swapping it out for metal before it breaks off.

I was planning on searching the threads tonight.

[ The plastic flange is easy off, just remove the hose clamp and install the aluminum replacement] The aluminum replacement being a barbed (?) male on the tank side and a NPT (3/8"s ?) and help by clamp (as opposed to the condensation line from the AC) to the ell to the BV?


Does the line from the tank pull out or did you have to work behind the curtain as polarlyse suggests?

I also agree with OTRA15...discharge, I would angle to the rear...just past horizontal

Nice setup.
Thx

b
__________________

__________________
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Llando88's Avatar
 
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 655
Thanks all! Yes! It was my freshwater drain. And quite a while it took to drain off, too.

Thanks again.

Rich
__________________
2016 30' Flying Cloud / 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Bob Thanks!!! As the say timing is everything. I've been having some trouble with out petcock valve and have been considering swapping it out for metal before it breaks off.

I was planning on searching the threads tonight.

[ The plastic flange is easy off, just remove the hose clamp and install the aluminum replacement] The aluminum replacement being a barbed (?) male on the tank side and a NPT (3/8"s ?) and help by clamp (as opposed to the condensation line from the AC) to the ell to the BV?


Does the line from the tank pull out or did you have to work behind the curtain as polarlyse suggests?

I also agree with OTRA15...discharge, I would angle to the rear...just past horizontal

Nice setup.
Thx

b
Ours was pretty easy to remove, I had to be careful removing the clamp so I didn't lose any length, no excess at all. I did the replacement on a rather cool day so I used the DW's hair dryer to soften the hose.
The ball valve doesn't improve drainage time very much, I just use a 10' length of plastic tubing and let it drain into the garden overnight.

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
CruizinDux's Avatar
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,031
Bob thanks. Note to self. All good tips!
b
__________________
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
 
Burnside Bob's Avatar
 
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 198
Everybody's set up seems different. On mine no hose clamp that I can see. I used two mini pry bars to pull the valve off the tank--valve fits into the hose which stayed inside the tank. Hopefully the valve hosebarb will slide back in or I just made my clog problem into a leak problem!! Doh!!!



__________________
Best, Burnside

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
 
2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 413
mins is behind the wheel I took that extra piece of sheet metal off after cutting my hand on it and tossed it .
__________________
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
CruizinDux's Avatar
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post
Everybody's set up seems different. On mine no hose clamp that I can see. I used two mini pry bars to pull the valve off the tank--valve fits into the hose which stayed inside the tank. Hopefully the valve hosebarb will slide back in or I just made my clog problem into a leak problem!! Doh!!!

Thanks neighbor! This is a great visual and a good tip on the use of pry bars. I think I'm going to let mine ride for now as I have confirmed the 0/90/180 positions. However if I come across a metal one, I'll probably grab it for a winter project.

Bob
__________________
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 207
Images: 4
My trailer is a new 2016 Sport 22' and the fresh water drain valve is "leaking". I know it would be covered by warranty but getting the trailer down to the dealer for such a cheap part and the "waiting" for them to fix it is not good. I'm thinking of ways to "plug" the end of it until the camping season is over here in Montana...or I might just fix it myself. It baffles me how AS puts such a cheap, really cheap, valve on their trailers no matter what level you choose. Spend 50 or a 100 grand and you get the same junk. While I'm venting...I may as well as throw in cabinet door hardware also! How many times has a cabinet door come off in your hands when you opened it? If it weren't for these obvious "junk parts" this trailer would be "perfect"! Why they "cut these corners" just amazes me!
__________________
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:43 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
 
Burnside Bob's Avatar
 
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 198
Got lucky. Barb on valve slid in with a little fussin'. No leaks.

Rpatrick, speaking of cheap parts and all, that valve is a little unusual. Most valves of this type are "open" when the handle is aligned with the long axis of the valve and "off" or "closed" when the handle is turned 90 degrees to the long axis. Not so this little gem--its off when the handle is pointed to the left and straight at you and "open" when the handle is turned to the right.

So, a little grumbling, but my H2O system checked out fine and now all I have to do is get all that bleach solution out of my plumbing!!!

PS. Kept the sheet metal. See Ray Eklund's post above. It does protect the valve a bit from flying debris.

Also, always wise to have a cork finished wine bottle on board. Drink wine, then use cork to stopper any leaks.
__________________
Best, Burnside

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post
. . .
PS. Kept the sheet metal. See Ray Eklund's post above. It does protect the valve a bit from flying debris.
. . .
Thanks for the update. I recommend rounding off the corners of the lower protective "flat" on the sheet metal guard piece. Those squared off corners are sharp as heck !!

A very careless albeit minor detail left unfinished by Airstream.
__________________
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
My trailer is a new 2016 Sport 22' and the fresh water drain valve is "leaking". I know it would be covered by warranty but getting the trailer down to the dealer for such a cheap part and the "waiting" for them to fix it is not good. I'm thinking of ways to "plug" the end of it until the camping season is over here in Montana...or I might just fix it myself. It baffles me how AS puts such a cheap, really cheap, valve on their trailers no matter what level you choose. Spend 50 or a 100 grand and you get the same junk. While I'm venting...I may as well as throw in cabinet door hardware also! How many times has a cabinet door come off in your hands when you opened it? If it weren't for these obvious "junk parts" this trailer would be "perfect"! Why they "cut these corners" just amazes me!
Wow ... all the way from Clinton to Missoula ??? LOL
__________________
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:49 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 207
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Wow ... all the way from Clinton to Missoula ??? LOL
Normally you'd be correct, however, as one who "lives in Montana" yourself...you surely are aware that our "season" is short! It's a brand new unit....I didn't buy it to make "return trips" to the dealer during the "season"...but rather to use it! Furthermore, the dealer informed me they were only working on "emergency needs" of others. Yet, it is disheartening when a .50 cent item, on the part of the manufacture, becomes a "distraction" on a $50M purchase. [/I]
__________________
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #28
Sam and her wheelman Zeke
 
upnorththree's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
Normally you'd be correct, however, as one who "lives in Montana" yourself...you surely are aware that our "season" is short! It's a brand new unit....I didn't buy it to make "return trips" to the dealer during the "season"...but rather to use it! Furthermore, the dealer informed me they were only working on "emergency needs" of others. Yet, it is disheartening when a .50 cent item, on the part of the manufacture, becomes a "distraction" on a $50M purchase. [/I]
I don't care if you live in sunny Florida and the AS dealer is 10 minutes down the highway, you are dead-on right. No one should experience down time because of a failed 50 cent part on a 100k unit.

Can you imagine how cheaply made other manufacturers must be?

Popeye
__________________

__________________
Popeye, Olive Oil, Sam, and Zeke riden' on 20's.

2015 RAM Laramie Eco-Diesel 4x4 crew cab w/RAM box
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freshwater drain plug dino72 Fresh Water Systems 2 02-17-2014 06:56 PM
Freshwater Tank drain crazeevw Classic Motorhomes 9 10-28-2011 09:16 PM
1977 airstream tradewind freshwater drain lance3787 Fresh Water Systems 2 08-07-2011 11:29 PM
Freshwater tank drain plug on 08 23FB? bonginator Fresh Water Systems 1 09-06-2010 09:03 PM
['77 23' Safari] Drain valve location for freshwater tank ? Mike B Fresh Water Systems 6 11-05-2003 11:22 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.