Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Is there supposed to be a 'cap' on fresh fill on '76?

Landed my shell back on the frame after renovating the frame and floor. Now I'm in "fix leak mode" while Tropical Storm Andrea is wreaking havoc on my virgin floor! MAN, this thing leaks EVERYWHERE!!!

I've located many so far, but now I'm seeing water drip through the fill port. I dont have the hose hooked up to the tank yet, but if I did, water would be trickling into the tank as it runs down the side of the coach, around the fill door, and into the fill port.

Is it supposed to have a cap in there? I dont see that this filler door is weather sealed. Is it supposed to be?

Any input is appreciated!

Note to all- if you think you are leak free, you may want to go over all the seams and check for loose solid/ buck rivets- I have TONs of leaky rivets. Seems that you can tell if they are suspect by pressing the skin and you can see movement and loose rivets. If you do, they probably are leaking inside. I dont know how I would have found these if I had my interior skins on....

Thanks!
Mic
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
Is it supposed to have a cap in there? I don't see that this filler door is weather sealed. Is it supposed to be?
Fresh tank needs to be vented, but no water should run into the tank unless you put it there; rainwater runoff would be considered a source of contamination, since there's no telling how much bird and bug waste, road dust, or whatever, will end up in your tank from the runoff.

So whether the trailer came with a cap inside the fill port or not, you should put one now, just to make sure that your clean water stays clean.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
10-4 on that. Just went out to look again, and there's no cap on the original design. I can see remnants of what looks to be weather seal to keep out the runoff. That said, you make an excellent point. Although this has been on there for 37 years... and there's certainly tons more of these out there still in use... I'm not too thrilled with the design. If any runoff happened to get by the weather seal, you're right... its contaminated immediately. The design lends itself to accumulate dirt and debris because it opens in a fashion that creates a funnel right into the tank for anything that happens to fall in- like a big scoop/ funnel.... I found the newer plastic design at ODMRV and Inland. It has 1 pro, and 2 cons. Pro being it has a cap and its not a funnel. Cons are that its ugly plastic compared to the original chrome, and 2nd its not the same opening and looks to require some rigging to install in the original opening...

Now what to do....
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
VA Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
Landed my shell back on the frame after renovating the frame and floor. Now I'm in "fix leak mode" while Tropical Storm Andrea is wreaking havoc on my virgin floor! MAN, this thing leaks EVERYWHERE!!!

I've located many so far, but now I'm seeing water drip through the fill port. I dont have the hose hooked up to the tank yet, but if I did, water would be trickling into the tank as it runs down the side of the coach, around the fill door, and into the fill port.

Is it supposed to have a cap in there? I dont see that this filler door is weather sealed. Is it supposed to be?

Any input is appreciated!

Note to all- if you think you are leak free, you may want to go over all the seams and check for loose solid/ buck rivets- I have TONs of leaky rivets. Seems that you can tell if they are suspect by pressing the skin and you can see movement and loose rivets. If you do, they probably are leaking inside. I dont know how I would have found these if I had my interior skins on....

Thanks!
Mic
For storage with empty tank you might try a rubber "Cork Stopper" available at most hardware stores.
jimrich60 is offline   Reply With Quote